Transformers: The Movie 1986 getting remastered this September!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by megatronski, Jun 9, 2016.

1. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In theory back then they would have shot film in order to shoot animation because video was generally horrible for single frame work.

But this is hypothetical. Does anybody actually know? It may be possible they did shoot directly onto video.

2. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    I love to know this as well. Hopefully someone here knows.

3. MrBlud

MrBlud Defender of the G1 Faith

Pretty sure the series was animated on film but was mastered on video.

So any Blu-Ray release would be full of missing/wrong animation (like the Rhino versions) short of a Star Trek TNG level remastering to fix the errors which I do not see happening.

4. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just curious as to why they are bothering to rescan if the file already exist seems like a stupid waste of money. Just release that copy with new packaging.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I assume Metrodome owns the rights to that copy. No reason to give that away if there are future profits to be msde.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Even if we assume a worst-case scenario and there are no suitable prints or negatives to use for a new transfer of the TV series, they could still use the video masters to reconstruct a progressive-scan video and encode it with fewer compression artifacts. So a Blu-Ray release could still be worth doing.

Because the existing files were created from a film print that wasn't in the best shape ever, didn't really get cleaned up any, and use the inferior MPEG2 (DVD) codec instead of the normal h.264 (Blu-Ray) codec.

7. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So how long before we get a list of extras? The Blu-ray is out in less then two months.

8. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

9. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    So, is this only going to be a blu-ray re-release? No DVD or DVD/Blu-ray combo?

Edit: Wait no I was on Seibertron and it looks like the DVD only will be one of the three releases available. Thats a relief, I had it saved on my DVR but someone deleted it and I couldn't find it on TV so I need it on DVD.

10. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Widescreen AND fullscreen.

Hallelujah.

After buying three VHS versions, three DVD versions, an inferior bluray....I can FINALLY buy this for the last time.

(Yeah right...in five years, we'll need it again in ULTRA 10K or something. Whatever...I'm a sucker. I'll keep on buying it.)

11. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

No Laserdisc copies? How unfortunate ^^.
    One reason I bought a laserdisc player back in 1996.
    Yes, I've bought this movie too often as well... or not enough...

12. Snowcat

Snowcat Animation Detective

Animator here. The answer is no. No one has ever shot cel animation on video. I don't think it would even be possible. The movie was shot on 35mm film and the series was shot on 16mm film as was typical for films and tv.

You can already buy the cartoon in 1080p off Hasbro's vimeo on demand service and really it's the only way anyone should get the show anymore. Aside from being higher quality, it's only 40$ for all 98 episodes, which seems cheaper then any of the dvd options. It's only 16mm so it won't look as nice as the movie but I think it looks pretty good for what it is.

The season 1 episodes sadly are the unfinished masters seen on the Rhino dvds, which is a shame. Aside from unfinished animation the colour grade is also wildly off, which could have been fixed with some decent remastering but oh well. I doubt Hasbro cares enough to put any money into an old product like this.

My guess is Rhino probably funded the re-scanning of this and GI Joe back when they originally released them on DVD, since these are the definitely the same sources used. Hasbro would have just been sitting on these HD scans all these years and when a cheap opportunity to put them out presented itself, they took it. So I doubt it will ever get a bluray release.

Also for anyone who cares, Countdown to Extinction and The Burden Hardest to Bear seem to have no existing negatives as they are just upscales.

13. bourdon

bourdon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That preview looks amazing. It is hysterical though that they try and make a big positive deal out of deliberately choosing Ramondelli for the cover. "We went out and looked at all these great transformers artists and instead we found this guy who'd printed pictures on metal and we thought we're doing a steel book case so let's get him to do it." Not because he was the best artist or his images looked great, but because he's printed stuff on metal. Morons.
    Always hated his art.

15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I'd like to see them to completely redo the original three MTMTE episodes with CGI animation but retaining the original audio. Before they arrive on Earth, everybody would have Cybertronian robot forms as well as Cybertronian vehicle modes.

16. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:

Why not just make an all new show then?

17. dCon

dCon mecha-former

News Credits:
    Now THIS is awesome! Anybody know of anything to do with a beast wars release? I have been waiting to hear on that for awhile even if it's not in Blu Ray

18. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
  19. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Looks good. Not sure I'll upgrade though. This release still seems light on extras compared to the 20th anniversary release. Maybe I would bite if they found a way to not make Hot Rod pink.

20. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    somewhere between tomorrow and yesterday.
    Needs Scramble City with no commentary.