Transformers: The Game Reviewed. Prognosis? Not Good...

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Cy-Kill, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

All the negative reviews about the game, makes me wonder if I should just return it or see if I'd enjoy it.

Unfortunately, I was also aware that a movie-to-game adaption would never really be considered good, because it's usually too rushed and repetetive, for the sake of releasing it at the time of the movie.

But wow, 4.6 from users on Gamespot, but an 8 from IGN? Then again, Gamespot, was always pricky about rating their games. Basically one paragraph of how good a game is, the rest saying how bad it is. Never relied on their reviews

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well my cousin and I have been swaping playing it all day. Been having fun with it. It won't redefine any genre's but it is solid and enjoyable enough, and we haven't put it down.

3. Energon_Skywarp

Energon_Skywarp Well-Known Member

I got the 360 CE and it is a lot of fun. I dig the "GTA"ish feel you get as driving around as Bumblebee looking for drones.

The controls feel good. The environments are very detailed (they should be for a 360 game). Transforming on the run is very smooth and is just as smooth as I would expect it to be.

Plus you're a freaking transformer!!! Geez how much better can that get?

Seriously though this game should get more love that it's getting in the reviews. I really hope that this game (and the movie) doesn't fall prey to unattainable fan expectations. Not to mention the constant G1 pressure. It would be a shame as this is a really fun game.

4. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

5.7? Damn thats a pretty high score for an Activision game. Is this really a suprise?

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I posted in the gamespot thread but figure I'd say the same thing here. Oh, and if anyone is really surprised by what the professional game critics are saying than you probably aren't too familiar with game reveiws.
    What I said:

First IGN gives this a 5.7, and now Gamespot a 6. Wow! Those are the safest scores I have ever seen. Not too high to get expectations up, and not too low to get people angry. The critics will live another day. I can almost garauntee they didn't have to touch the game to come up with these scores.

I have played the game for several hours now, and some things irk me, and it isn't perfect by any means, but it is really fun. I guess what I am trying to say is to us fans, it should be a worthwhile investment, even if just to add to the TF lore we collect, but it should also be a fun time. It's great just to be able to send your enemys crashing through such destructive environments and you get a good sense of excitement.

6. Energon_Skywarp

Energon_Skywarp Well-Known Member

Agreed +1!!

7. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

IGN is better than most other sites other than Gamespot though. And IGN's major downside is that they tend to give TOO HIGH of scores for games. And 5.x is non-negotiable. The game must REALLY suck.

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

For those saying the reviews don't even spend much time with the game, try actually reading the review. At IGN they go into quite some detail of the game and why it sucks all the way through. And having a few simple g1 references means the right people were making it? Two seconds of research on Wikipedia could've produced those names...

9. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

i'll post my 2 cents. by far this is not a revolutionary game, it's quite simple and pretty straight forward with no real diversity to the missions. it's just a story mode and thats it, no arcade or just 1 vs 1 or 2vs 2 or just all out brawls. i personally find the game very fun to play, the decepticons are a blast to play through, i haven't played the autobots yet. the driving pretty much sucks but the flying is reletively fun, espically as blackout. the main problem is that you can't play through other levels as different characters, so your stuck doing the same things with the same characters. starscreams level is alittle lack luster for the character and there isn't to much to blow up, but with blackouts level, you have a whole dessert (spelling?) to blow the crap out of. barricades level is pretty fun as well, but it'd be awesome if you could take blackout or starscream and blow the hell out of the town/city (barricades level), but you can't. the cool thing with starscreams and blackouts levels is that there pretty open, you can fly around and shoot stuff, but with megatron, it's a big city and you can only fly so high, so you don't get the same effect in megs level as you do in blackouts, and you can't use megs in blackouts level so that kind of puts a damper on megatron in the entire game. now there are a few things that would make this game a hundred times better, two attack buttons (melee), the abilitity to play any level as any character, and an arcade mode that would allow up to 6 transformers to duck it out in any of the levels plus an online mode to play the arcade mode in. add in a few extra attacks such as running attacks and maybe better jumping attacks and such and this game would have been close to perfect, but i give it a 7 out of 10 for just being fun to play.

10. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    A review, even by a critic, is still that persons opinion and is always subjective and "negotiable".

11. Paradigm-Shift Prime

So is any scientific theory, but that's why some call science 'best guess' rather than fact or truth. Official review sites are video games' version of the best guess. They are not omniscient authority but they will give you the best, most informed, most grounded account possible.

That they give it a 5.5-6.0 is does not mean the game is exactly the number they give it, but a game consistently getting very low scores from multiple major sources means the game is non-negotiably bad. One of these sites might give a 7.4 to a game that someone might reasonably argue is worth an 8. But having such low scores means no one should be able to present a good argument for a much higher score.

Though 'opinion', they provide informed and systematized opinion, rather than erratic claims. It's like if one 'opinion' explains to me how the earth rotates around the sun and another tries to explain that the earth is actually a cube that is the centre of the universe and flashes in and out of existence, one of those opinions can be fleshed out much better than the other and hence is more worthy of attention.

...waits for all those that ran out and bought the game blind to get defensive...

12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

...for example, this is an 'opinion' that should not lead to the game being scored higher. A Transformers-crazed individual who thinks along these lines should thus be less trusted in providing an objective-ish account of the game than a professional reviewer. (it doesn't mean that such an individual isn't allowed to enjoy a game more than they should because of such biases/influences, but the 'more than they should' being the important part).

13. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I want to play this game regardless of the reviews. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, but I'm expecting fun to go along with the movie stuff.

14. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I don't bother reading reviews of what others think of games. I find that they're wildly inaccurate 99% of the time, compared to my own thoughts.

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I have a feeling you are going to miss out on a lot in life if you go with the majority vote of media critics as if what they say is inarguable. Regardless, what I say about reviewers stands, they are just expressing an opinion, as educated as it may be.

16. Paradigm-Shift Prime

So go play Transformers the Game and tell me it is awesome and well put together then, and not just cuz robots are cool. If everyone's opinions are totally relative, then nothing means anything. If you and I understand each word I am writing here to mean something different, and there is no way, no standard with which to reconcile a common opinion, then no one could even communicate at all. So if one person finds that it is a thrill to shove an elephant's trunk up their behind and a group of others considering various factors of the act tell me that it would be painfully and physically damaging, I'd be inclined to take the matter as involving more than 2 relative, subjective opinions, and would listen to the latter...

17. Lio Convoy75

Lio Convoy75 Well-Known Member

Funny enough, it doesn't - at least not to me. So it is negotiable. Remember, a review is only an opinion, not gospel. I believe in the following sentance.

"Make up your own damn mind, FFS." If you don't, then you're a lemming.

I've been playing it since I got it at noon. Once you get used to the driving controls, it's pretty decent. SIXAXIS support is VERY well implemented for Blackout (he's the only flyer I've played so far, since I've been having too much fun playing around the hub areas to progress too far.)

I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you otherwise, you have your own opinions (or were given them by IGN, if you aren't willing to think for yourself). I like the game and I'm happy I shelled out for it. I don't give a damn what you think, since I don't know you, won't ever know you and just don't care about your opinion. I just replied to this because you stated an incorrect fact. It is negotiable - it's just an opinion, and reviewers may all like certain types of games and not others. It's a low probability, but it's there. We know that's not the case, since it's also recieved higher reviews than IGN on other sites. 60% from one and 83% from another. Just depends on what you're looking for. Some people buy sports games, others buy realistic shooters, others like GTA games, others like racing games like Gran Turismo and others like fun games like Mario and Ratchet & Clank.

Play what you like, stay away from what you don't like. That's why there's choice in games. If you're on the fence on this game, then rent it and make up your own damn mind, ffs. Who cares what anyone says about it - what's important is what you think about it if you're considering a purchase.

18. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agee with you dude

I seriously wish someone from gamespot or IGN had reviewed the DS versions before I plunked down money on them. I am thinking of taking one back.

I am seeing there are 2 mindsets of the people purchasing this game:

TF fans and gamers..I think alot of people may be more casual gamers, and therefore more forgiving of alot of the games flaws...on top of everything else the game is SHORT.

While I collect TFs and love them, I cant knowing and willingly throw my money into a shoddy product just because its TFs..my gaming sense will not forgive these issues:

Shoddy control
    Poor collision detection
    repetitive missions
    Can be finished in a sitting
    glitchy camera
    erratic auto targetting

all these equal a no buy in my book from a gamer's perspective.

And for those insulting the reviewers a 5-6 is generally a "mileage may vary, fans of the genre may dig it" type score

19. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I wasn't saying anything about Transformers, I was commenting on your remark about reveiws.

20. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I would also like to say that I have played games on my parents oddysey since I can remember and played each new system since. I have worked in gaming retail for 4 years and worked at game companys for the past 4 years. I am a gamer through and through. This is a fun game and all I ever said about the scores is how "safe" a 5.7 and a 6 is to give a licensed game. Be that as it is, even though I have a pretty thick gaming background, I don't expect anyone to really take my opinion to heart, just as I don't take crtiical reviews to heart. No matter what you say, they are opinions, but there is nothing wrong with having different people who you begin to trust after seeing that they share your interests. Reading thousands and thousands of reviews and "best of" lists just has taught me not to trust reveiwers ESPECIALLY with an ambiguous score like a 6 (which in all fareness should be considered slightly above average).

Hey, bottom line is, those who enjoy the game, great, those who don't, sorry.