Transformers The Animated Movie DVDs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JunkersHVN, Nov 25, 2013.

1. JunkersHVN

JunkersHVN Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, but I was wondering if anyone could provide some technical insight into the UK releases of the 1986 Transformers: The Movie. I've found screenshot comparisons and the sort but I can't find some of the details I'm looking for regarding the transfers. I have the Australian Blu-ray and a lot of the PAL video looks really bad due to the way it was transferred so I was wondering if the UK DVDs have the same issues.

Do all of the UK releases use frame-blending to keep the video at the right speed when going to 25fps or do some of the releases use 24 fps to 25fps speedup? If they do have PAL speedup, has the audio been pitch shifted or just sped up? Also, do any of the UK DVDs have the full "international" version with the scrolling intro text and additional "Optimus Prime will return" dialog at the end or do they all use the original US theatrical cut?

2. JunkersHVN

As it happens, I ended up getting the Metrodome "Ultimate Edition" and "Reconstructed" DVDs for cheap, so I was able to answer my own question. If anyone has any questions about how they compare to the US 20th Anniversary DVD, Rhino DVD, and Australian Blu-ray let me know and I'll do what I can to provide answers.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I've got the 20th one. The quality is good

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got the Sony Wonder release, the 'Ultimate' version, the 'Reconstructed' version and a couple of basic ones from Prism Leisure.

Really, unless they do something amazing with any further releases I doubt I'll be buying it once more. I love the movie but there's only so many DVDs a person needs of it. The Reconstructed version is my go-to these days just because it's so different from the regular versions and makes watching it feel a bit fresher.

Must remember to keep an eye out at car boot sales for a cheapo copy of the old Blu-Ray release.

5. JunkersHVN

I got the Japanese DVD release. The extras are sparse but it has a few notable features. The video is full-frame but it's the international version, even though the English audio lacks the narration at the beginning and end. The audio is mono only and sounds okay, but the picture quality is the best I've found for the fullframe DVD releases, especially for the international versions. It's the only one I've seen that doesn't have frame blending. The colors aren't punched up like they are on later DVD releases but they do look better than the UK international editions that I've found.

The DVD also includes the only digital transfer I have seen of the fullframe version of the theatrical trailer with the additional dialog. The only other sources have been the Hillcrane LD, the "Mokushiroku" videotape, and possibly the Pioneer LD. The UK DVDs have a sped up matted widescreen version of the trailer with the original narration.