Transformers that changed your mind?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Venixion, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Which characters did you never want toys of, or at least didn't care if you got, until one changed your mind? And how much do you enjoy your fig?

Shockwave-He's common, he's popular, he's overdone, he never interested me much as a character. I didn't really care if I ever got him. If I did I did, if I didn't I didn't. I honestly wasn't planning on seeking him out at all.

Then one user's photos of Cyberverse Angry-wave won me right over. He has tons of personality with his glaring eye and his adjustable...antenna? Prongs? He's also the best built of the first wave of cyberverse toys, very poseable too. Good for photoshoots. I like him.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Don’t hassle the Hoffimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Hot rod.

I was born in 88 so i missed all of g1. All I had was a vhs copy of the 86 movie. Watching that movie 100s of times, i hated hot rod. So i always refused to buy him.

Several years later, lets say roughly 25 years later, my son is now watching transformers. After watching different iterations of the charater, he decided he loved him, second only to bee. On my 31st bday this year, he had my wife buy me that walmart reissue hot rod. He picked out a gift for me that he loved and wanted me to love too.

Now i have 3 hot rod figures.... G1 and both potp....

• Like Like x 10
  3. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I bought some MP figures like Ironhide, Bumblebee, Optimus Primal, Shockwave, Sunstreaker not because I really cared about the characters but to experience the molds. Out of them, Ironhide is the one who gave me the best impression forvtje fun factor and Sunstreaker for the engineering.
    Star Saber, however, is by far the most egregious example. When the MP came out I was "too expensive, transformation looks simple, his design doesn't blend with my collection, and who the neck he even is". But reviews were positive, and I always loved robot swordsman, so one day I managed to find a copy for a good price and decided to give him a chance. So I bought him, and after having him in hands I was taken aback by how fun to play with he was. He quickly became of my favourite figures and after watching Victory I also became a fan of the character,so I also added the Flame Toys version (ignoring the IDW background) to my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chareos

Chareos needs new Omnibots

News Credits:
    Although, this will be sacrilege, Optimus Prime. I've been so tired of the over-saturation of him, Bumblebee, and Grimlock in media over the years (like Wolverine), that i was always OK to do without another OP toy. However I got Siege Prime, and think he's great!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Venixion

News Credits:
    Megatron-He's not my favorite villain. Although he has his moments, and his design is rather dull. He's also popular and overdone.

I picked up Titan Warriors Megatron just to have a representation, which is something I don't usually do. He's not articulated or poseable, aside from moving his arms and stuff. He was cheap at only $4 and I kind of liked the look of him. I did win another mini wind up McD Megatron as part of a mystery prize. He is rather cute, and in my collection is Megs' son, Minitron. Neither are favorites, but I'm fine with them.

@Kamen Ranger Bat That is such a sweet story.

@Lex79 I think Star Saber is so cool! Sunstreaker straight up rocks!

@Chareos I don't think its sacrilegious to dislike a popular character that gets a million different releases everytime a new line's made. I mean, I listed Shocky and Megatron. They're popular and common. Its understandable to get tired of that.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Siege Red-Alert

• Like Like x 2
  7. Venixion

News Credits:
    G1 Repro Casetticons

Ravage-He's weird and ugly and is basically just a bunch of rectangles and ovals. He came in a pack with either Rumble or Frenzy and I was allll set to give him away. I took him out and looked at him and liked the detail on the cassette mode. I liked the cold feel of actual metal. I was hell-bent on getting a different Ravage that looks like a robot panther, yet somehow he's slowly been charming his way into my reluctant heart. How dare he?! (I still don't like that he can't stand worth a shit though.)

Laserbeak-Speaking of his setmates, I was surprised at how much I liked him. He's actually my favorite of the bunch. I never really cared either way for the bird-bots, but he's cool.

Rumble and Frenzy-They're actually lots of fun to mess around with and take pics of. I like them way more then I thought I would, which is odd, considering I never cared for their FoC incarnations.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Studio Series Movie 1 Megatron. Such an underdeveloped character, he doesn't even have a weapon aside for that whip thing. But his figure is pure awesome.

Movieverse Bee - until maybe 6 months ago, I could only accept Bee as being a VW Bug. Well, now I have 4 different studio series Bees and I will get a 5th when jeeple bee comes out

• Like Like x 4
  9. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    cybertron hot shot, override n soudwave made me change my mind about the cybertron line being good lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. Venixion

News Credits:
    @DocSeth81 A jeeple beeple? :p 

Gnaw-Sharkticons are so ugly. I totally stuck my nose up at them. But then all of you people happened! *points finger* You...with your awesome Picture Thread making him cute and silly and fun and your literal hordes of green-eyed beasties! Hands down one of the top 10 Titan Return figs.

Sadly by the time I came around to wanting one for myself, TR Gnaw was gone from the shelves. I snoozeth, I loseth!

I did manage to snag me a CV Gnaw. But it's not quite the same thing, since he has no articulation and no cool translucent green eyes. Still, I got what I got and he's not terrible. I kinda like the weird little bugger anyway.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  11. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

I buy characters based on if I like them or to be apart of a certain group.

I am not interested in buying the Protectobots, simply never cared for them. And I love all of the combiners!
    I don't buy underdeveloped characters like Hubcap.
    I am discouraged from buying repaints like Buzzsaw. Although I will buy them if it's a new mold. But I never cared about Buzzsaw.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well for me its Megatron of ANY made after the G1 84' figure. It really doesn't include Galvatron either since i love him in the g1 version. I really only see Megatron as the G1 gun orginal figure character that we know won't get made for reasons. I've NEVER bought ANY megatron from the movies or from the last trilogy of figures. With that said it's even the recently released siege version in regular or cell shaded. Though to me Galvatron really doesn't get enough love i think.

• Like Like x 1
  13. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Siege Galaxy Convoy.

I "outgrew" Transformers by the time Cybertron hit the airwaves and had no sentimental connection to the character. Hell I even thought it looked a bit goofy (way too damn thicc to be that short). But then I saw him at Walmart and and had the extra cash so I said fuck it.

Now with a little added height to his thighs, he's actually one of my favorites from this year.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    Studio Series Starscream. I got him just for the sake of completionism and having the most accurate version of Bay figures, not exactly because I wanted him considering his on-screen portrayal. I was fine with my ROTF Starscream, and I thought his design was fugly.

When I got him I vastly preferred Bonecrusher and Brawl, but now after a year he's grown on me more and become one of my favourite Voyagers. Despite being *just* a DOTM Deluxe upsize, he feels meaty, suberbly sculpted, and very imposing even against older figures. I'm glad the Voyager price-point is still as great as when I first knew them in 2007.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Venixion

News Credits:
    Fireflight-I think Superion is boring in color and as a combiner, and roughly half of the Aerialbots are snobby assholes. Fireflight is one of the only two I can stand. He's not a fave, but I do like him.

• Like Like x 2
  16. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A couple of the Terrocons (POTP) on sale resulted in me having to get the set to from Abominus. Never that much of a fan but he just looks great.

I ended up with 5 combiners (aside Devastator), when I started with only getting the dinobots, not because they combined, but because they are the first actual G1 update that look right. They are what pulled me into buying a lot more TF that I've had in years, if not ever.

Then with Siege, it was Shockwave with the space battleship pictures that was a must have due to my love for Captain Harlock / Macross/Robotech / etc. that pulled me in, but after getting it and Ultra Magnus, and then Optimus, and simply hating the prices but loving the toys, the plastic, the quality of all of it, I ended up going full in and getting most of the series, stopping with the many colors and such. And now I'm just hoping that they will finish the original crew.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Animated Rodimus.

I thought the small Gap at the rear of his car mode was too much for my exquisite taste and I passed on him. many years later I bought the Takara edition. What a collosal error of judgement, not grabbing this when it came out.
    800px-AnimatedDeluxeRodimusJapan.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  18. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tr skullcrusher my brother bought him for me i was suprised how much i liked him

• Like Like x 2
  19. Venixion

News Credits:
    Movie-formers. So far I have only one and am looking for 2 more. These things are hideous.

Steelbane is a rare exception in that not only does he actually look like he's part of the Transformers franchise proper, but he's actually nice to look at.

No bug/predator face, no deformed nonsensical proportions, no space-wizard-robo-beard, he has nice, subtle colors and he's both a Knight and a Dragon. How cool is that?

My only gripes are that his transformation is a floppy mess and that he came with loose joints right outta the box.

He is one of my unexpected favorites.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. LoneDragon

LoneDragon I dare to be stupid!

News Credits:
    I never though I needed The Burt in my life and look at me now...
    AllBurt.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 8