Transformers TGC from Wizards of the Coast

Discussion in 'Transformers Trading Card Game (TCG) Discussion' started by Tony_Bacala, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Yeah, if there's one thing I'll always give Lucas credit for is worldbuilding and plotting/structure (and a generally decent visual storyteller to boot). Guy can't write dialogue worth a damn and the characters aren't really super deep or anything but man as an ideas guy, I love him. If you recut the entirety of SW and just kept the visuals, sound effects and John Williams score (and a few sparse clarifying subtitles to help with story flow) SW would be all the better for it. Of all the fanedits, that's one that I've always wished someone would make.

Assuming you mean The Last Jedi, I'm pretty meh about the reaction to that movie. Star Wars fans are about the only fanbase worse than ours when it comes to relentless b*itching over franchise content. :D  SW fans are spoiled and fractured. Spoiled because they've always been catered to more often than not and fractured because it's been around since the late 70s so you have multiple generations all claiming that "their SW is the best!!" (sounds familiar? :) ). Some like the OT and nothing else, some like the Prequels over the OT, some prefer those two over anything Abrahms related because it "didn't come from the mind of Lucas" (a few people have actually said that) and still some like SW as a whole.

I myself liked TLJ (tho' I do agree that some of the plotpoints that were setup in TFA were wasted).

• Like Like x 3
  2. Caldazar

Caldazar Tactician

Ebay:
    Just because it exists in other forms does not mean that the practice is a good one for consumers. And you clearly haven't played the game or any recent releases in some time. Please stop wasting my time with your ignorance. Easy example... commander products haven't come with 3 foils in YEARS. Please go away.

3. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Your condescending atttitude and general saltiness is the waste of space. I may not have played since Ixalan, but do you honestly expect me to believe your clearly extreme views about the direction Magic has taken?

4. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See, this statement, right here, is why you don't really care about any of the issues that have been brought up about WOTC's business practices. You don't really care if the prices of cards are accessible for es many people as possible, you prefer that your rares don't get devalued. I'd be happier if the cards were literally worth the price of the cardstock they were printed on than feeling awesome because I own a $50 card in my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    One hundred percent on board. It's funny but if the new Star Wars movies were awful or spectacular, we'd talk about them until the end of time. But they're just okay, which doesn't give us much to talk about other than to say, "yeah it was fun I guess..." And that's pretty much it. Screw it, I'm writing a script for a Star Wars movie. It'll never be made but at least it'll be fun.

And again back on topic, considering WOTC is releasing these guys and will most likely release in the same way as Magic, I have to ask what did they do right?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blam320

News Credits:
    Tell that to people who own mint copies of the Power Nine. Some cards were never meant to be reprinted. Additionally, the Masters series was intended to make otherwise expensive cards more readily available. And look how well that turned out.

7. shamanking282

News Credits:
    Dude, they could burn the reserved list right now, and yeah, maybe owners of vintage power nine would have to deal with their cards going from 5 figures to 4. And frankly, that's fine with me. It's a game. They're components printed on paper.

And the Masters series were bad because of the price point and the abundance of unneeded reprints clogging up access to the cards people actually wanted.

It would be like if HasTak reissued a toy like G1 Liokaiser. Yes, there would be people who spent $1,000 on the originals and hadn't experienced a GPS incident, and they might be mad that the value has dropped. But there would be many more people happy to actually be able to own the toy for something more reasonable. Heck! We're literally seeing this right now with the Dino Cassettes. Have you seen anyone complaining about "muh investment!"

8. Blam320

News Credits:
    Your entire argument is bunk. You have no respect for collector’s markets, which are a driving force behind any toy or game. It might just be worthless cardboard for you, but that doesn’t invalidate the fact that you’d be angering a huge part of the fan base.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shamanking282

News Credits:
    I have no respect for people who are into collecting things because they believe it is an investment. I would be nothing but overjoyed to see the speculators who buy-out cards deal with their investment tanking from a reprint and them sitting on cardboard they can't give away. And if we wanna talk about respect, you have no respect for people who just want to play a game at the same level as others without having to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on an effective deck.

And again, have you seen some TF fan mad about the dino cassette reissues? It always seems like it's the mtg investors who try to keep fighting to keep parts of the game as inaccessible as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Everything Man

Everything Man Well-Known Member

Another product that has me scratching my head as to why they made this a trading card game and not a living card game. Been playing mtg since 96 and I've seen a lot of games come and go, some from big IP's that Hasbro themselves did, the shelf life on this is gonna be about a year or two without serious support from the community.

Also watching some of the bickering over reissues and the reserve list is pretty funny, neither side of this argument is close here. The mtg reserve list is a legal obligation that wotc did to themselves, your dino cassette mold coming in a different color is more of a manufactured drama and a test for future encore releases, your hard to find G1's aren't dual lands, Hasbro can make them whenever they want with zero warning.

As a speculator I'll tell you this, none of the big players are sitting on anything period, you lose so much in overhead with a full closet of boxes, whether it be cards or toys. If you're mad at prices don't pay them, the issue is that someone actually is, and as long as someone is, those prices won't change.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shamanking282

News Credits:
    The reserve list is absolutely not legally binding. It is not a contract, no one signed anything.

12. Blam320

News Credits:
    But it’s respected by players, because they put their trust in Wizards of the Coast to create the rules for their game. They are the creators and the ones who sponsor tournaments, and as such are heavily invested in the game’s long-term survival. I can guarantee that Magic would not have lasted as long as it has if they didn’t make the decisions they have made.

13. shamanking282

News Credits:
    I actually agree that the reserved list was the correct decision at the time. However, the game and the market are in very different places then they were after the release of Chronicles. MtG has exploded in popularity with people who, whether by age or later development of interest, never had any opportunity to own or play with those older cards, but are hungry for an affordable way to have access to them.

14. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Thought it was a new Titan Class Metroplex that's more G1, then saw "TCG" lolz.

15. Blam320

News Credits:
    And do you honestly expect Wizards to re-release cards that are overpowered beyond belief and have no place with modern set and card design? As you said, it’s a very different game from those early years.

16. shamanking282

News Credits:
    Supplemental product exists. They could release a gold-bordered cube product or something like the old Beta collectors edition set. Just something that allows people the ability to play with those cards.

Well, it would help for the Power 9 at least. There should still be an affordable way to get legal dual lands. Though the cost of a mana base in any format is just a flaw in the game as a whole.

17. SuperSlacker

SuperSlacker Guy who lives in Nemesis Prime's sleeper cab

Could we maybe, oh I don't know... actually talk about the topic of the thread? I mean, as entertaining as it is to watch grown men bitch and argue about Magic cards for 13 pages on a Transformers forum- oh wait no, no it's not. It's just sad, mostly >_>

Anyone know how this Metroplex mega card is going to work? Like how many stars he'll have, if he's a sort of "boss battle", how much this will cost, etc?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Are there any sleeves or card protectors for the oversized cards at all?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Autobot Spike

Autobot Spike Original Gangstabot

News Credits:
    Haha what!? How is that relevant? What a funny takeaway!

-A.S.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, experts please show up!