Transformers (Skybound) #4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Slender102, Jan 4, 2024.

1. stickdynasty

stickdynasty Well-Known Member

Given that Cobra Commander in the preview is somewhere cold and Megatron is frozen over I think it's pretty realistic that he is somehow going to be wielding a stasis locked Megatron. Maybe Megatron and Cobra Commander strike up some kind of deal? Megatron needs Energon as much as every other Transformer and probably can't synthesize his own. It'll be pretty exciting to see how they weave the stories together.

On another note, Arcee has to show up soon, right? She was shown off as one of the main Autobot cast but is nowhere to be seen!

• Like Like x 6
  2. Swindlerfan

Swindlerfan Well-Known Member

I would like it if Cliffjumper's clan were based on all the South American repaints of his original toy.

• Like Like x 15
  3. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Well-Known Member

It would be awesome to get a clear, precise description of what exactly a clan is and how they function in a social and/or biological sense. If I had to guess, I'd say a clan is probably just a tight-knit community of people who occupy a certain region of Cybertron. But who knows, maybe there's more to it than that.

• Like Like x 5
  4. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I don't see the news story up yet, but TFW2005 Facebook shared the cover for #7, which came out on the latest solicitations. Announces the new artist for the series, and that we'll be getting a 1:100 variant with that one.

I'm most excited about Karen Darboe doing a new series of connecting covers for the 1:10. She did the 1:25 variants for Void Rivals (and a 1:50 for one or two of the issues, I think)...love her style.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Cliffjumper's backstory was just like Bluestreak's official tech spec origin.

Just saying.

Although it would likely be a common backstory

• Like Like x 6
  6. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And here I am, one of those weird old guys who thinks that Jim Lee ruined the X-Men. He pretty much forced Chris Claremont off of the book, destroying the decade-long run Claremont had and the big #300 he was working towards. Under Claremont, the book was constantly evolving, not covering old ground as much... going new and different places. Jim Lee comes on board and he wants to do all the things that he dug as a kid. Editor, Bob Harras sided with Jim Lee (because HOT ARTIST ERA!), and wanted Claremont to just provide dialogue for Lee's plots and art. Hence why Claremont left with "X-Men #3".

At the same time, Rob Liefeld forced Louise Simonson off of "New Mutants". A lot of the same as the above. And the big climax that Claremont and Simonson spent years building towards turned to ash.

What did Chris Claremont have planned for The Mutant Wars?

Funny enough, all the stuff comic book fans came to resent from later eras of comics. It started here.

Worst of all, Lee and Liefeld were immortalized by the 90's Fox Kids cartoon and their influence never went away.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

90's X-Men Tangent, totally fine to ignore:

Editorially, it was the right move to go with Lee's ideas. The franchise restart all of the X-books got in the early 90s was incredibly reinvogorating. It's not cool that Claremont got pushed out but at the same time, Claremont was not evolving as a comic book writer. Just compare CC's writing style with the writers that showed up afterwards (Lodbell, Nicieza, David). Scott Lodbell was pitch perfect for scripting modern dramas and a lot of fan favorite moments spring from his writing (examples: Xavier losing his ability to walk, Illyana's death, the Thanksgiving issue). Fabian Nicieza understood how to balance action with good characterization and long running mysteries. Peter David basically wrote The Office before it existed and stuck it into an X-Men book. Claremont was still stuck giving everyone monologues for their dialogue and filling panels with tedious exposition text. X-Men #1-3 is soooo dense and it took me decades to finally appreciate Claremont's pacing and dialogue in those three issues but the style was not modern at the time. That style was super modern in the 80s when you compare it to 60s and 70s writing. But it didn't evolve with the 90s and beyond.

It's a shame what happened to Louise too but New Mutants was tanking saleswise at the time. Liefeld is not a writer but he jumpstarted that book with his art (I'm not a fan of his art either). My point is that I think it's too simple to just villainize the "shallow 90s artists" that took over the X-Books at the expense of the writers. The X-Books were at a crossroads from just being the #1 comic book and transforming into a global property. That 90s relaunch made the 90s cartoon happen, which in turn gave Fox confidence to make the movies, which in turn gave Kevin Feige the space to learn how to run a studio...

• Like Like x 4
  8. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And I'm glad you like all that. Ad while I like Peter David a lot... I utterly despise Scott Lobdell's take on that world and characters. And I despise that era of X-Men. And no, I am not a fan of the 90's X-Men cartoon. I know it brought a lot of people into it. But... no, I don't care for it.

But hey, weird old guy.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

That's fair. To each his own. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  10. Pencilerobo

Pencilerobo Well-Known Member

It's not weird.

The comics are the real thing, the animation is usually the dumbed down version with worse art - because it's impossible to create animation with that level of detail, depending upon your favorite artists. I feel the same way about any adaptation of Masamune Shirow manga, the man's illustrative chops are just too insane to make that leap to animation; and when that spark is removed from the work - the life in it is gone.

The 90's were definitely interesting times for American comics, but it's misguided to just blame the artists - because the businesses behind these books enabled them. Selling comics was the name of the game and they undermined their credibility by letting certain artists take the lead. However, these are corporate controlled characters so it's a fools errand to waste the best years of your life toiling away at Marvel and DC comics. I really feel badly for Chris Claremont these days, when people disrespect his work. Everything people love about the X-Men is because of his work. I will laugh my ass off if / when Marvel movies take a shot at X-Men and attempt to make a movie about a bunch of chump modern characters nobody knows, or cares about.

As much love as I have for some of the characters, Marvel and DC have been terrible for creators. It would be nice to see them either adopt a more equitable business model, with rights and profit sharing, or just function as a publisher for great ideas like Image, ONI, or Dark Horse. The comic industry will continue to hemorrhage talent so long as Hollywood, Video Games, and Animation offer better deals. Mike Zeck left comics because of the crap wages for licensed art. Howard Chaykin left for many years to storyboard for television. Eric Canete spends his days working for video game publishers.

It would be cool if some day people viewed comics in the West the same way they view music, television, and film. Until then, it's going to be filthy corporations peddling "kids stuff" in whatever sad rehashed iteration they've come up with this week. It's the Taco Bell of entertainment - same core ingredients, just wrapped differently, or placed in a corn or flour tortilla and called something else, but in the end it's all the same ingredients. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  11. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i like that we are depicting starscream as a complete, sadistic, unhinged phsycho and i hope when megs shows up, there is a clear distinction between the two, like megs is a way more reserved and calculating leader that doesnt give in to blind ruthlessness like starscream does

also that was savage what they did to skywarp and if he makes it, i sooo hope he schemes against both of them, or at least starscream

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 9
  12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDK, Tom Scioli's Megatron in Transformers vs. G.I. Joe was pretty scary with his whole eating humans habit.

• Like Like x 9
  13. NextToNoMoney

NextToNoMoney Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, I just read issue 4, and just... damn. This comic just keeps getting better and better! The art is as dynamic as ever, and the sheer range of expressions that Optimus has with just his eyes is incredible.

Speaking of Optimus, his characterisation continues to be on-point, I really like the moment after the fight where he transforms for the where they're going with his and Ratchet's conversation over his use of the Matrix to save the lives of humans, and both are in the right, in their own ways.

Jazz's surprise appearance was absolutely awesome! Loved how he had a big grin on his face the entire time he was throttling the Decepticons. Really hoping he's a part of the main crew after this opening arc, he was a real stand-out, and his "Only here for one tune? Sucks." strangely makes me think he'll be sticking around, after the Autobots find their energy source, which Sparkplug seems to have a plan for.

On the Decepticon side of things, Starscream's desire to cause as much suffering and death as possible costing the Decepticons their victory makes me wonder about how much Megatron usually reigns him in, and both Starscream and Soundwave teaming up in tearing apart Skywarp for spare parts was absolutely brutal.

Those cliffhangers with Prime now wielding Megatron's arm (complete with a fusion cannon!), Telatraan-1 now operational, and Megatron frozen in the ice have me on the edge of my seat for the future of this series, cannot wait to read #5 next month

• Like Like x 8
  14. Veridioz

Veridioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when you don't have your signature bazooka so you just flip them off.
    Screenshot (43).png

• Like Like x 18
  15. Oktiduz

Oktiduz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    This comic series is basically what Hasbro has been trying to do for the past decade - tell a mature reimagining of G1. It's only a shame we had to go through slog like the WFC and CW trilogies to get some of this sweet, sweet goodness...

It's also the first time besides MTMTE (I think) that a Transformers comic has been critically lauded outside the fandom - that's how you know something is really good when it resonates so heavily with people who weren't uber nerds about this stuff.

You know what would be peak though? If Amazon Prime adapted this into an animated show maybe 5 years down the line in the way they did Invincible... we would have the best TF cartoon possibly ever if the quality of writing is carried over...

• Like Like x 20
  16. Rob

Rob Fanatic Films Supporter: Optimus Prime reborn!!!

News Credits:
    I did not notice that :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  17. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Sigh. (It also bugs me how huge he frequently draws Cliff’s head, it’s like twice as big as Primes in that panel on a body less then half prime’s size)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Pencilerobo

Pencilerobo Well-Known Member

It's easy as hell to sit on the sidelines and critique the making of comics. It's another entirely to engage in the process.

When you're working on paper with traditional tools, you do not have the insane zoom and precision you could have when working digitally. The alternative would be to draw larger sized figures, then reduce them via copier / scanner, and then paste them in; but that is less organic to the drawing process. It also introduces problems with maintaining the sight lines of the character groups interacting.

It's best not to fret over it. If you dislike the art, do not buy the comic. Simple as. There's plenty of wonkyness about these issues, but I'm enjoying it. Robots are hard to draw. I'm sure robots on a deadline are even harder to draw. Which is why Cliff has a goofy head here and there.

New artist will be here soon enough, and for me - the party is over. Hopefully Jorge Corona will grow into the book, but I'm not digging the Transformers I've seen him draw, and while his Humberto Ramos doing a fusion dance with Matteo Scalera style isn't unappealing in other books. Observing his preview art and mechanical drawings in other books, I'm not confident this will be worth me sticking around for in floppies.

I just enjoyed a brief moment in the sun when a Transformers comic enjoyed having a top tier modern creator producing work for the series. I can honestly say in my lifetime no known / respected American comic artist has produced work for Transformers comics outside of a random cover here or there.

• Like Like x 2
  19. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Woah, woah, woah, bro, I think you are getting a little overly defensive here, I actually quite like most of the art, but I don’t care for the artists particular stylistic choice in most places to draw Cliffjumper’s head overy large, which seems rooted in his Sunbow design but amplified to disproportionate levels. Like Jazz and Prime look fantastic in that panel and then Cliffjumper almost looks like a super-deformed caricature, it feels out of place/inconsistent to me even amongst the panel itself.

the “sigh” was from the juvenileness of him flipping a double bird, that’s just not want I want in my TF stories anymore then Mirage cringely talking “street” or Ironhide getting pee’d on by a small doc or Hot Rod devolving to an idiotic man-child.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde クインテッサ星人

News Credits:
    :lolol  :lolol  :lolol 

• Like Like x 2