Transformers Sins of the Wreckers #4

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by SavedTabs, Apr 27, 2016.

1. nim

nim Member

additionally, barber does not always write prowl the way you seem to think he does.

you say he's remorseless and doesn't doubt himself, but in exrid s1 he had not one but two internal monologues about how he'd like to stop doing what he does but he's too convinced of the inherent untrustworthiness of people for that to be a viable option, and how whenever he begins to doubt himself he just thinks about the last time he let his guard down, then redoubles his efforts.

and so prowl, as barber established him (as much as barber can be said to have established him at all, because as said it was roche who kicked off "cold, calculating prowl" in the first place), cannot be said to simply "not doubt himself". he was MORE ruthless and remorseless in AHM 15, not less.

roberts's (present-day) prowl is a different story, but i think that's mostly a function of seeing him primarily as a side character in MTMTE, and through the eyes of someone who hates him and with whom he has a very tumultuous relationship. LSOTW shows him with more of a conscience. roberts is also credited with story assistance on "everything in its right place". i think they have pretty similar takes on prowl, all things considered.

2. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

On the topic of Prowl, Roberts tweeted something not that long ago that I think explains a lot of how he writes Prowl, comparing him to a major character from X-Files, "Prowl is the Alex Krycek of the TFU" They definitely share the quality of being untrustworthy bastards who seem to somehow never die despite everyone in the story wanting them dead, but the constantly changing alliances and self preservation as a motive of Krycek don't really seem to fit the way Prowl'd generally been written.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably just likening and inspiration, nothing more.

4. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I reread the whole series. I'm enjoying it, but I think Nick needs a more hands-on editor.

Nick's basic story is really quite good. The Autobots are storming the Noisemaze, Tarantalus has a creepy weird weapon, Tarantalus has been manipulating the Wreckers for a while, Verity is trying to save her own life and call Prowl to account for Ironfist...

It's all good, but when I was reading the book, I consistently had to read some dialogue and action over. It wasn't always clear who was doing what, or what the rules of the noisemaze were, or how the Wreckers figured out that the entry was in their base. And was their base in orbit around Earth? How'd they get back there so fast?

I'm enjoying the story, not to the level of Last Stand, but part of Last Stand's appeal was that it came during a real drought for the fans of the old UK comics. So I may feel rosy about that particular arc.

I'm firmly convinced that Nick and James are better together. Nick is brutal enough to murder beloved characters, cutting down some of James' twee tendencies, and James refines Nick's characterization and dialogue. I hope that they work together on the inevitable Ghosts of the Wreckers, or whatever part 3 will be called.

5. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a potential 3rd Wreckers series coming?

6. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I doubt it, but one can always hope...

7. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

I KNOW RIGHT:eek: :puke: :jawdropper: :eek: :puke: :jawdropper: :eek: :puke: :jawdropper: 

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    All we got is Nick saying in his letter to the fans at the end of issue 1 "Note to self, leave enough characters alive to write a sequel". Or words to that effect

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    If you are growing inside of something solid, shouldn't you squish yourself to death before you break what you're inside of?

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Depends on the structural integrity of the thing you're in.

11. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Isn't it entirely in Tarantulas' established character to weaponise his mass shifting capability so that he doesn't squish himself?

12. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That would make sense.

If not we can always have some new Wreckers.

13. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There might be a sequel somewhere down the line, but I wouldn't take that letter as confirmation for it. The entire thing was a very joky piece on his experience writing LSTOTW and how it's surreal to do a sort of sequel now.
    It's the closing line to the letter and starts with "Pro writing tip: Try leaving enough characters alive at the end of your story for a sequel."

The letter starts with "Pro writing tip: "When writing your first comic-boo series, try to avoid using the title 'Last Stand'..."

It's basically a joke poking fun at how he had a bit too much fun killing off the characters in LSOTW, since they were all nobodies and this was essentially the first time most of them were actually used in any fiction.