Transformers: Shattered Glass II #5

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And here we are…the final new issue that IDW will publish.

• Soundwave is tasked by Megatron to go inside Metroplex to stop Ultra Magnus. On his way, he rescues Slicer, who agrees to team up with him.
    • They eventually find Ultra Magnus screaming in pain, without making a sound due to the lack of a voice box. It turns out that this not actually Ultra Magnus, but actually Optimus Prime, as the former had surgery to swap shells.
    • Ultra Magnus almost tries to force Slicer to kill Soundwave to test his loyalty, but Metroplex and Starscream’s scream lineup, causing havoc.
    • Soundwave saves Jetfire, who in turn saves Starscream’s spark. However, Ultra Magnus almost succeeds in killing Soundwave, had Slicer not shot him. With Metroplex deactivated and Ultra Magnus dead, the battle is won.
    Highlights:
    FDBB9D32-6BA2-4455-8D9F-C2F03E0FE57D.jpeg
    335FA80D-B8F3-401B-A416-132E4CDA9DC4.jpeg

Till all are one.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Tahtorak

Tahtorak Active Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Gee, the end of an era.

17 years.
    117 series.
    790 issues.

But it's finally over. Finished.

• Like Like x 10
  3. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed SGII. Definitely felt a little rushed but I liked the overall balance between spotlight issues and general worldbuilding. As for IDW as a whole, it's definitely bittersweet. I picked up Infiltration #1 from a comic shop that was hosting a Yugioh tournament (that I did very poorly in :lol  ) The start of IDW coincided with me getting more into full-on collecting Transformers, too. I'd head to my local comic shop with my Dad, pick up whatever new IDW stuff was out, dig around for some of the old Marvel issues, and stare wistfully at the G1 figures the place had for sale. Now that comic shop is gone and IDW's done with Transformers. It's been a fun ride, and I hope whatever comes next is worthwhile.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I wanted to like it but it’s just missing a lot of beats that an actual comic book storyline should have. It just reads as “stuff happening” rather than a story. There’s no real pay off. It just ends.

Oh sure I get the format of the book. Hasbro chose which toys they were making and in which order they were releasing them. It started off quite well with the first but then it became “Blaster does some stuff”, then “Slicer does some stuff”, then “Flamewar does some stuff” and finally “Soundwave does some stuff.” There was the makings of a better story but it didn’t quite reach it overall.

What happened to Optimus Prime. That had potential. But the writer Danny Lore during the story was like “don’t worry about it”. But it’s interesting. Do something with it. And Danny is all “nope nope; forget it. He’s dead. We’ve moved on now.”

I did quite like the artwork. Guido Guidi rarely fails me and this was not one of those times. Beast Wars, King Grimlock and Last Bot Standing had poor artwork IMO but this was actually good. Ultra Magnus was very well drawn here.

I’d call the Shattered Glass series to be okay. Neither exceptionally good nor exceptionally bad although it had its brief moments at times where it touched upon both.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Interesting it still ends on something of a cliffhanger with Screamer's spark and Prowl the last remaining warlord. Maybe Hasbro still has plans for SG.

Hey at least IDW actually got to actually end it's series, yet another thing over DW.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I've seen this comment somewhere else today…

7. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it is the end of an era for sure. but the artwork was really great compared to what we have been getting.

the final titan panels were some of the best ones i have ever seen. it was definitely idw going out on a high note.

rip idw and their run with this media. some of my favorite books were done during their tenure.

hopefully whoever gets it next can do it justice. it would be nice to see what is next for the next generation of fans and all of us diehards.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Lord Clancy

Lord Clancy Well-Known Member

So this is the end of an era, huh? At least the final IDW issue belonged to a series I actually followed.

I really liked the first Shattered Glass, but this series wasn’t as good about being a coherent story. It awkwardly jumps between different POVs without properly keeping track of the larger conflict. It also felt pretty rushed.

The spotlight nature of the issues wasn’t helpful since each comic had to try balancing characterization for the advertised toy while also moving the story forward. The first series at least made it work by giving issues to major characters like Megatron and Starscream. The flashbacks to their personal backstories could also be used to lay the groundwork for the larger conflict they belonged to since these characters are major players in the war and all.

This didn’t work as well with more minor characters like Flamewar and Blaster. I liked their characterization sure, but it seemed like the larger plot stalled after Ultra Magnus’ introduction until suddenly escalating into a final battle for Soundwave. Optimus Prime being relegated to side character didn’t do the plot any favors either since he’s, you know, Optimus Prime. An issue focusing on him could have done wonders for the worldbuilding and story, but we only catch glimpses of him here and there. It also hurts that we can never return to previous POVs, for example Megatron himself becoming a side character after his issue finished. I get that all this was probably mandated since each issue was advertisement for a specific toy, but it’s still a notable weakness the series never recovered from. I also didn’t like seeing well known Autobots and Decepticons killed unceremoniously even if, in practice, no one besides the SG toys was ever going to be the focus of any issue.

Shattered Glass II was especially bad with pacing. Ultra Magnus and Rodimus are dropped in as new characters but don’t really get time to breathe before getting offed. Slicer is built up as a crafty agent who plays all sides but doesn’t amount to a whole lot in the end. I’m sure Lore could have done something interesting with the Wreckers and their overall plan in something like an ongoing, but there just wasn’t enough room in a miniseries.

I still enjoyed the series for the most part. The artwork blew the likes of Beast Wars and the ongoing continuity out of the water, and I’ve always wanted to see more Shattered Glass. At least we got the SG Megatron figure out of it, if nothing else.

As for IDW as a whole, I greatly enjoyed (most of) the 2005 continuity and a lot of the sporadic miniseries they've done over the years. The 2019 continuity didn’t work for me and the art has taken a notable dive in recent years, but the overall experience has been pleasant. I’m eager to see what new talent can do with the brand, especially if they manage to get legends like Roberts and Furman back every once in awhile. I’m also willing to read more from Lore, and Guido Guidi art is always welcome.

• Like Like x 5
  9. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not important I got email from idw there will no tpb , hardcover collection edition on shatterd glass two any who looking get this series buy single issues

10. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, if you went in liking Slicer, you win, because this really felt like his story.

.... I won!

• Like Like x 2
  11. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since almost half the characters whose toy came with the issues actually died in said issue, I was half expecting Slicer to bite it too, but I guess he (and Flamewar) got lucky.
    Overall, this was not as egdy as most of the club comic SG was, but was neither very interesting. I wonder since Hasbro will definitely keep making more SG toys, whether they will have some other company make comics for that...