Transformers: Salvation full preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sockie, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Emet Baqar

Emet Baqar Life in Truth is its own reward.

True and amazing that The original Transformers UK series and original cartoon got away with it all that time. Makes you wonder if somebody actually fussed about it or did IDW just head it off at the pass, so to speak.

2. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

It predates IDW. For Animated they named the triceratops "snarl." It's a Hasbro mandate. I think he was Slog for a toy or two?

Or think about bw, where "slag" was the euphemism for "fuck."

3. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I do.
    1: it's unneccisary clutter that obscures the art. (Allthough, this is a Livio Ramondelli book so they're actually doing us a favor this time)
    2: we already have the roll call page at the beginning of the book. If the name bubbles are gonna be there, then the roll call page should be used for one more page of actual story.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    1. They're not that big and they tend to be put so they're not obscuring too much, so I disagree.
    2. That's not how it works. Getting rid of the roll call page wouldn't allow them to do another page of story. Also, Salvation might not even have one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Although I read that Strafe is a dinobot mutant, why did they go to the length to give her alt mode two robot heads cut in half? It looks really odd.

Also, why is Devastator helping them?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Emet Baqar

I guess Slag is subjective based on intent. Just the scrap from molten metal or name of a dinobot, a derogatory term towards women in the UK or offensive euphemism. I just wish they would leave originality alone and not worry about offending anyone but I suppose that isn't the case these days unfortunately. At any rate this should be a good book to read.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fishpop

fishpop Squishy Bear

Ebay:
    I want a to of Strafe and the IDW versions of the Dinobots.
    THIRD PARTIES, GET ON IT!

8. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Because Devastator's working for Starscream, and I imagine Starscream doesn't want Iacon trampled by Trypticon.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So they are retconning in ANOTHER new dinobot, if the guy from Monstrocity wasn\'t stressing credibility again? Or they want us to think this is Technobot Strafe???

10. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Strafe's been around since Redemption, she's not the Technobot. There is no "retconning" involved in how she joined the Dinobots.

11. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The G1 Transformers show - that features the dinobots heavily - was aired even back in 1994 or so on Sky One - with the G2 Cyber Cube scene transitions. Even back then no-one cared about the word Slag.
    Oh, and then came Beast Wars and Machines where slag became the trademark curse word of Transformers. That show lasted until, what, 2001?
    And from what I heard from Film Brain on the UK satire show \"Fat Slags\", the word had this secondary meaning since the 70ies already in the UK.
    So if the name of a robot triceratops and a Transformers fictional curse word did not bother anyone until the last decade, then why change it all of a sudden?

• Like Like x 1
  12. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I stopped reading any comic from IDW that is not from Roche or Roberts a while ago. I remember a female TF called Swift who turns into a helicopter being introduced, and that weird femmebot who is a Gobots Crusher reference, but Strafe does not ring a bell, sorry, and I don't care enough to re-read the issues again. All I know is that she (would not have guessed from the artwork that she is a girl- then again... this IS Ramondelli) is a weird half-headed bot in Dinobot colors, obviously hommaging the movie Dinobot. Heck, since the first pages do not have Swoop, I though that was him, renamed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

the wiki calls it a "Two Headed Dragon-like Creature".

As for why it's a Dinobot, it's not like Pterodactyl or Plesiosaur are dinosaurs and they're still Dinobots.

• Like Like x 2
  14. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:

That's right. "Slag" can mean either "molten metal" or "slut/ugly woman/b2tch" in the UK, and, as far as I can tell, is easily understood as an alternative to swearing in a kids' show about robots.I suspect that Hasbo want's less potential legal hassles by enacting due dilligence for the future. That way, they can avoid similar problems with "spaz", or "spastic" references (which is EXTREMELY offensive in the UK, and other countries with a more British-based English, such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada (they use some Bitiish terms over the US ones at times) South Africa, the Falklands, and other British territories).

Remember, the UK, its territories and/or its lexical/cultural effects on the world can be argued to be as big, if not greater than the USA's. Regardless of just the UK, the amount of non-USA based English is FAR greater in scope around the world than the USA's use. THus, more care needs to be taken in this internet-connected age.

15. Emet Baqar

Slag the slagging slags.:D 

16. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

After what happened with PCC Over-Run, I'm surprised they didn't try to change it earlier.

17. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    No, not really. If Hasbro is smart they'll finally make some Leader/Voyager class Dinobots that are par in epicness that the Phase 6ers are currently but in the POTP line to show that they're still listening. That SDCC Bayformer Dinobot Set with the cardboard base from a few years ago should remain forgettable.

• Like Like x 1
  18. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Especially as they then had the gal to remold the heads as G1 versions and sell them AGAIN.

The Bayformer G1 set in the ark is merely a placeholder until I get some decent Dinobots. I'd even style for OS KOs of the Bayverse Dinobots in G1 colours, and G1 heads.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    It's only in Transformers fandom that you'll find people complaining about one letter being changed in a character's name. Neithermind the fact that, even without considering the other meanings of the term, it's kind of stupid for a character to have the same name as a Transformers curse word.

Obviously it makes sense for IDW to change (and I can't emphasize this enough) one letter in Slag's name in order to not potentially incite drama. It's only logical, really. It reminds me of the Yugioh fans that can't seem to wrap their head around why a symbol often associated with satanism keeps getting editted out of a main character's card artwork.

20. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It kinda matters. Say "Slug", and most people will think of this:
    [​IMG]
    Not the association you want for a ferocious dinobot. I am OK with the renaming, but even Slog was better. Or y'know what, considering they share a motto and tech spec (look it up), why not use the name Charger?

I get WHY they changed it, I don't get why they changed it only just now (or well, around Animated with the triceratops Dinobot - when was that, 2008-9?)
    Yeah I heard about the renaming of Spastic to... what was it, Drag Strip? Did not get that PCC toy only his first orange-white paintjob. Again, odd, 'cause I hear the word spastic get used even in cartoons on quite a regular level.
    Wonder how this all affects BW reruns in the UK and DVD releases. Were those censored too?