Transformers: ROTF News - Details on the Alice Character

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Oct 31, 2008.

1. uraydo

uraydo Well-Known Member

quit your whining and bitching.

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    How exactly is this a nod to G1 geeks? I had never even heard of "Pretenders" until this was announced for the movie, and I'm right in the middle of the G1 generation.

3. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Doesn't that just mean you are uniformed about Generation 1 and the Transformers history?

There are plenty of older fans who remember the Pretenders, along with Headmasters, Targetmasters, Micromasters and Action Masters.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I grew up on G1 and always knew what Pretenders are.

Just because YOU don't remember doesn't mean others don't either.

For someone who never watched the 1986 movie, the "One shall stand, and one shall fall" line in the 2007 movie means nothing. Does that make it a bad reference?

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:

No, it means that I don't understand how including the Pretenders is a nod to G1. That was my point. It's a nod to the Pretenders line, which was not a part of G1.

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Dude, G1 ran from 1984 to 1991, and the Pretenders were a part of it. This is a hard fact.

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I sit corrected.

8. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because when Barricade appears, it takes about thirty seconds before you find out he's a TF, if the Decepticon symbol on his side didn't tip you off. Its not a plot twist. There's every chance (and indeed, I would say it's VERY likely) than this character will, for the majority of the film, be believed by the cast and the audience to be a normal person (a rival for Sam's affections, I wager), and it will be supposed to be a surprise when that she turns out to be a Pretender. It's not simply telling us about a character that's going to be in the film - it's actually spoiling a plot twist.

9. Magnamuz

Magnamuz Active Member

OK Mr. Macho, now when you see the movie you'll know beforehand that the sexy friend of Sam's isn't even human and you'll be waiting till the last second for her to do something bad, that is how you want to see the movie?

Would you like to know if Bumblebee is gonna betray the autobots too?

Congrats, you are a big boy!

10. Ravage

Ravage Decepticons forever!

It doesn't bother me personally, but I do find it bizarre that they would post spoilers right on the main page. Even if there's an option to turn it off, it seems totally unnecessary in the first place. All you have to do is say "BIG MOVIE NEWS!" and the people who want to be spoiled will click the link and those who don't won't.

Anywho...

11. Magnamuz

Magnamuz Active Member

The only option is news without movie news, not without spoilers, and that's wrong.

12. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I like the idea of calling the Pretender Stranglehold, if they address that.

13. Sarcasticon

Sarcasticon Member

This is the best movie character yet! I love robots that dont transform in a transformers movie, just awesome.

14. Sarcasticon

Sarcasticon Member

I think you just blocked it out, I'm still trying

15. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I like this guy.

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Sorry to disappoint but its a robot who transforms into a human.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Bludgeon? Thunderwing?

They mean nothing to you?

You really must have had your head stuck in the sand while still calling yourself a fan if you let those two pass you by. Pretty much impossible to not be aware of Pretenders.

18. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

I have to say, I can actually see where people are coming from on the whole spoiler thing. Because sure, TFW does in fact have a non spoiler option here, but that's only an option you can choose after you've already come to the site.
    Lets say you were just coming to the site for the first time when this story broke, you'd suddenly get a face full of spoiler right there on the front page. Headline reads: "Alice is a Pretender"! Now I've been purposely pursuing spoilers myself. But for anybody that wasn't, they just got screwed.

Yeah...I hate to say it, but TFW has let some people down. Somebody messed up big time here.

19. J Migidy

J Migidy Vector Sigma's Lil Helper

News Credits:
    Is this Terminator or Transformers???

Yeah I'm not too keen on the smell of Vaseline or the pretenders concept. Is this Terminator or Transformers??? I don't see how the concept makes any sense in the movie world??? I'll have to see it in action but as for right now.....I don't like it!:thumbdown 

20. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, I really don't understand why people don't get how *good* an idea this is. The movie-verse is one of the few TF worlds where the concept of "disguise" is used to its fullest, with the Decepticons having hidden amongst us for *years* in their vehicle forms (only RiD really made use of this long-term "integrated into our world" disguise concept before). The idea of upgrading to the next level and being able to transform themselves into humans so that they can move even *more* freely amongst us makes total sense in the movie universe. Decepticons could surreptitiously destroy organizations from within without having to reveal their presence, or gain information they need without risking exposure. It's potentially the most logical, cunning use of the Pretender concept *ever*.