Transformers Robots in Disguise #11 Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Wadeledge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I like to dissect things as well and often I can keep qualitative and personal impressions catalogued separately. I certainly understand appreciating something in spite of its flaws (which is why I often find myself defending All Hail Megatron, which is flawed, but was the first time since IDW picked up the license that we really saw a focus on characters). Sometimes what clicks for us is not what clicks for others. In RID, despite some very smart and interesting core ideas, I'm just finding the characterizations disappointing, and the general proceedings dull. It has pretty much no forward momentum, and frequently resorts to cheap deaths as a flailing attempt at shocking the reader... before immediately moving on to something boring.

I think I've been kind to this title up till now, but I've always been on the fence, and now one year has passed, and this issue has just pushed me off the fence. I'd rather be on the other side with all the potentially good stuff, but instead I'm bogged down in the bad.

Would that room still exist? I mean, Cybertron has been pretty much reset to zero. If there's a Black Room, it's probably the remains of some hyper-high-security room used on Kimia, where prisoners can be stored without any hope of being detected. Kind of like Prowl's own little Guantanamo.
    Yeah, it's definitely looking like it's moving in this direction...

zmog

2. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    The room?

No of course not. That warehouse was likely shut down immediately. Now the contents in it are likely another story.

Zeta Prime and the Senate stock piled "Thousands of outlawed weapon designs and prototypes" Chris Metzen and Flint Dille make a point to show this page and dialog between Prowl stating that those weapon's could win the war and Optimus telling him to destroy it, but did he...?

Fastfoward to RID #11 with Arcee mentioning Prowl's little "Gizmo" in bold.

That's just too much of a coincidence for me.

Side Note: There was also a giant head in that warehouse that looked a lot like Unicron to. So Prowl's intentions could be deeper than we think.

3. tull

tull Thrillhouse

Ebay:
    Great point, especially since Prime directed Prowl to destroy the weapons, and Prowl's "Yes sir" line had a tinge of disappointment in it, so it's possible he covertly hid the weapons instead.

But, would they have survived the planet's chaotic rejuvenation? I suppose if Tailgate could be hidden under the surface and survive, then it's entirely plausible the stockpile of horrors could have as well.

4. gregles

gregles quintesson

I haven't read autocry but loads of morally bankrupt experimental weapons sounds like it would almost certainly have something to do with brainstorm. I hope I'm wright

5. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    The weapons were all said to be designed by Jhiaxus. I very much doubt Brainstorm has anything to do with them.

6. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Yeah that "reset" makes as much sense to me as the "D-void" that caused it in the first place. Plus the rules behind it and the impact afterwards are very subjective.

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

The entire concept of Batman is filled with plot holes big enough to drive armored divisions through. From the law point ot even simple logic (because any self respecting vigilante or even moral human being would have capped The Joker after the first few dozen deaths).

8. SMOG

No, what I mean is that everything that was on Cybertron seems to be gone. The cities aren't in ruins... it's like they were never there. The whole place is a primal wasteland where supposedly nobody can survive (unless you're Ironhide or Megatron, apparently). So if there was a secret weapons cache that somehow made it through millions of years of war without being discovered or used, it's probably gone now, because the planet rebooted.

True... though I can't help wondering if Tailgate has really been asleep in a hole in the ground for 4 million years. It seems a bit far-fetched... I wouldn't be surprised if somehow it were revealed that the time-travel thing played a role there.

Yep, and for all the emphasis on creating a supposedly "gritty realistic" cinematic vision of Batman for a new age, Nolan's films still fail to live up to their own paradigm, or to be more credible or sensible than most comics.

I try to keep my nerd complaints separate from my qualitative issues with DK and DKR, but either way those films are both emperors with no clothes, in my opinion.

zmog

9. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    The Metrotitan appeared underground in the ruins of a city, so I'd say that anything underground has survived relatively intact, and it's only the surface that's been scoured.

10. SMOG

Not really... the dialogue between Prowl and Wheeljack suggests that it's a mystery why the city is still there, when everything else has been wiped clean. I would expect that all the many, many basements and sub-storage areas of Cybertron vanished along with the cities (otherwise there would be a recovery effort underway, I would expect). This city with the Metrotitan would appear to be the exception (for whatever reason). Of course, it also looks remarkably like the Crystal City that the Metrotitan was supposed to have taken with him the first time, although the dialogue also contradicts that.

zmog

11. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not so sure there would be a recovery operation underway, they've got enough on their plates just trying to keep one reasonable sized colony operating, let alone to start digging too deep. However, the fact that we just don't know for sure is one of this stories defincincies as far as I'm concerned. There's so much going on that we're not seeing as we focus on Samurai Arcee, The Hooded Prowl and Inspector Wheeljack.

Also, with regards to Tailgate, it appears that any bots on the surface managed to survive the scouring anyway, so maybe the planet resetting itself wiped out all the settlements, but didn't affect any living beings. Probably as an effort to force them to to work together and start from scratch.

12. SMOG

True... but I'm still thinking that if you're in a jury-rigged refugee colony that is fast becoming home to the entire diaspora of your species, you're going to want to start salvaging supplies from old city sites. Any known city would certainly have underground facilities, and yet there has been no recovery operation (or unofficial scavenging, for that matter) that we have seen. Judging from Prowl and Wheeljack's puzzlement, I'd say that the Metrotitan city is the exception for *mysterious reasons*.

Which might explain why he rebooted abruptly after millions of years. Of course he still had all his bomb disposal gear and his little trailer, so that stuff didn't vanish at least.

zmog

13. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why is this reset of Cybertron is so superficial? Why the underground city and other structure are still intact? Can we call it true 'reset'?

I wonder if Roberts and Barber are misleading us to believe that Cybertron is restored...

14. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Besides, what most annoying thing is that Barber is treating Arcee as convinent plot device rather than a character. Seriously, wasn't there ANY Autobots to aid Prowl?

I rather see Wheeljack and Jetfire rebuild the Institute and start brainwashing every Decepticons.

15. SMOG

See the discussion just a couple of posts earlier. I believe that the indication is that it ISN'T just the surface, and that certain sites (like the Metrotitan city) were just exceptions or some deep cosmic reason. Or whatever.

Yeah, I agree. It's been a year, and I don't feel like Barber has really expanded thoughtfully on the Prowl/Arcee/NAIL situation. It's really just dragging along a course that was drearily predictable right from the outset and offering no particular surprises. I do find myself curious about what's happening with Superion and the time machine, but the main plotline is pretty bland IMHO.

zmog

16. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    I really think that would be incredibly out-of-character for both of them.

17. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That city is the original Crystal City, and I assume the reason it's still there is because it's super dawn-of-the-planet ancient, so the reset didn't wipe it out. Metrotitan didn't take it with him, the Circle of Light built a new one on Theophany. The Titan was returning home so he teleported back to the city, which is specifically shown sinking back into the depths of the planet at the end of the flashback section of the RID annual to set that up.

18. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Arcee's outlier superpower seems to be draining the drama, excitement, and fun out of every story she touches. Every time she shows up, you just know a one-sided, predictable, and quick end to an otherwise interesting plotline is about to happen.

This month's MTMTE really did a good job of showing how interesting one particular character could be before RID jobbed him out in the most uninteresting way possible.

19. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    anyone willing to post pics of megatron returning? I was reading my cousin's issuse and didn't get to the end before he took it back.

20. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Imagine a single panel of Megatron walking in silhouette. That's about it. I'm really looking forward to him culling the herd a bit, if that herd includes Prowl and Arcee.