Transformers Rise of the Beasts Review Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, May 27, 2023.

?

Rate Transformers Rise of the Beasts

1. 1

2.6%
  2. 2

0.8%
  3. 3

2.6%
  4. 4

3.8%
  5. 5

6.9%
  6. 6

11.9%
  7. 7

25.0%
  8. 8

28.2%
  9. 9

9.9%
  10. 10

8.2%
  1. Rob

Rob Fanatic Films Supporter: Optimus Prime reborn!!!

News Credits:
    Nah man, he committed a bunch of international war crimes. You dont get to shoot enemy conbatents after they are incapacitated.

• Like Like x 5
  2. VVa

VVa If you don't Booyah back I want you dead.

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well, I'm glad he did. To those deserving.

3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    Exactly.

I don't think ROTB is good but it's definitely not HORRIBLE either, personally I'm just tired of TF movies that are at best 'okay' when we can do so much better. :/ I still have a nostalgic soft spot for that time period when the Bay films were in full swing, I own all of them in SOME Form. :lol  I'll probably end up owning this one too when it's on clearance or something...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob

Rob Fanatic Films Supporter: Optimus Prime reborn!!!

News Credits:
    Will that is between you and your God/conscious.

• Like Like x 3
  5. VVa

VVa If you don't Booyah back I want you dead.

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, fair enough, mate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ambarmettatron

ambarmettatron Well-Known Member

There were quite a few 90s references--for instance, the security guard Noah first sees is watching something about OJ Simpson. it's better done on the audio side for making you know it's a certain decade in Bumblebee, but that film also clubbed you over the had our Main Character change her t-shirt to a different 80s band EVERY time we see her.

Completely agree with more scenes with the Beastbots and their lives.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Perhaps for some, but my personal opinion on the '07 movie has never changed. To me it was always a good, but not really great, movie with still a lot of potential for the inevitable sequels.

I think despite being movie #7, and all of the baggage that comes with that, RotB has a lot of the same vibes and energy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are thousands of “great” movies that nobody cares about. The 2007 movie is more culturally significant (and from a positive pov at that) than, say, The Florida Project or Anomalisa and you could argue that’s more meaningful. I would also say that nobody agrees on what makes a movie “good” or “bad”. If they did, then Rotten Tomatoes would be irrelevant because the score would be 100% or 0%.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    the theme actually sounds scarier then the original HOLY CRAP!

10. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Unfortunately I didn’t love it as much as I wanted to, mainly the pacing felt off BUT I still enjoyed it and far from the worst films we have gotten. And I’ll admit as I think more about the film I like it more. Seconding viewing whenever I see it will help. As of now probably 7/10, not as good as Bumblebee, but still not terrible and a step in the right direction.

Loved that the film treated the bots as characters, and the human characters were not bad either.

Primal was nice. Was shocked how much Airazor we got and I liked her more than I expected. Wish Rhinox and Cheetor got more to do. Would love a BW solo film.

Loved how much robot’s talking to each other we got. The scene in the warehouse and talking to Bee and Arcee I loved.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    Oh boy... that's not a great argument.

Why would a movie from 2007 be more 'culturally significant' than two that came out later? Futhermore a movie isn't 'good' or 'bad' because its culturally significant or not.

Plus uhh.... Transformers by Michael Bay, culturally significant? No... just, no.

Also yes people can agree on what makes a movie good or bad otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as 'movie critics'.

• Like Like x 2
  12. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it might be a significant summer blockbuster, but it’s just that. Very few of those types of films ever become culturally significant.

Now if you want to say technologically significant, then I’d be more inclined to agree. The practical and CGI effects in the film still hold up really well in my opinion and in that of general audiences.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ramjet555

Ramjet555 Well-Known Member

They're both objectively good movies. '07 has some problems that come with age, but the visuals, plot, pacing, and characters are all good and still good.

ROTB's plot, while generic, is good. Characters, visuals, pacing, all good. Like you said, they could have made it better. But calling it not good is downright wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    Just saw the movie. I liked it a lot, despite having issues.
    I loved Prime’s characterization in this one (could always go deeper but idk if movies ever will), he’s a good leader with strong combat skills. His aggression while killing Scourge felt justified and badass, unlike some moments in the Bay movies where he just seemed psychotic. When he ripped off Bumblebee’s Autobot badge from Scourge’s shoulder, it was chef’s kiss. Mirage was also a favorite, he was hilarious and got the most laughs in my theater.

Scourge was fucking AWESOME imo. I love his design, his voice and dialogue, his fighting style, everything; and my hunch was right, he does have two normal hands, so when are we gonna get figures of him that have two hands? I need those. Also seeing his final design in the movie makes me dislike the SS figure even more lol, however in contrast the movie made me appreciate Prime’s redesign more than before. Definitely want the ThreeZero Prime and Scourge. Battletrap and Nightbird were cool, but Battletrap’s SS figure is so inaccurate after seeing the character in film too. The Maximals were cool, and I loved when they transformed at the end and Cheetor and Primal were flipping around and fighting. But overall, they didn’t really do much? The Arrival to Earth nods at the end warmed my heart, so glad to hear that music on a big screen again. I enjoyed the 90s rap selection, although including some tracks in the final battle took me out of it momentarily lol.

The plot itself was fine, a lot of maguffin-type story beats as usual, but the Transwarp key concept was easy to follow. I don’t understand why they didn’t delve into the past/future idea but okay. The ending with the G.I. Joe teaser bugged me. Why do they feel a need to connect these properties in live action? They literally introduced Sector 7 in Bumblebee, they could’ve just stuck with that (that’s actually what I thought the card was gonna say). Idk, if they can do it right then I’ll give it a chance, but the G.I. Joe movies were pretty awful, I didn’t necessarily want the connection.

Overall, I give the movie an 8.5/10. It had heart; humor; good CGI; cool robot designs and characterization of lead robots like Prime, Mirage, and Scourge; entertaining fights. Not thrilled with the G.I. Joe thing, but I’m keeping an open mind with where the franchise goes. If they can make more TF movies like this and Bumblebee, I think the majority of the fandom and general audiences will be happy, myself included. Idk if I like ROTB more than Bumblebee, have to see it a few more times. I do love the Terrorcons though. Both movies have an uphill battle to usurp TF2007, but I acknowledge that that movie has the added benefit of nostalgia and personal significance to me, so it’s not a fair ranking. But ROTB is a winner to me.

Now we need more accurate figures of the Terrorcons…the SS ones don’t cut it

• Like Like x 4
  15. primeisboss

primeisboss Bearing the Matrix of Leadership

News Credits:
    I went into this movie with little to no expectations. Outside of the two trailers, I did my best to avoid movie related content. The first thing I said to my girlfriend after the movie ended this afternoon was how different it was from the other live action films. With that being said, I really loved this movie. I'll start with the positives. One of my favorite concepts was when primal talked about how the South American tribe watched over the Maximals. As someone who loved the original ROTF Stratosphere toy, I enjoyed finally getting to see a version of him in the movie. Not mention he as well as pretty much every robot character had at least one transformation sequence. Also, I liked how we had a different take on Optimus (that is he his learning to be a leader). It was nice to see the robots interacting with each other and not just with the human characters. The only real negative is that I wish the beast characters had more screen time. Also, I was hoping we were going to get a big reveal when Scourges mask was torn off. I don't know how I feel about the GI JOE ending. I feel like if done right, it would be really cool.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
  16. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Read what I wrote again. I said you could argue that being culturally significant is better than being a critical darling — and I would argue that it is. And yes, Michael Bay’s Transformers movie are absolutely significant. Whether you or I like them is irrelevant…they will be remembered by the masses, while as sad as it is films like Ingmar Bergman’s Fanny and Alexander are only recognized and praised by a small group of people.

And, sure, some critics agree on quality but there is no universal set of rules that make a film good or bad. My point was that, if there was, one person could watch a movie and then tell everyone else whether it was worth seeing or not. But that’s not the case. For example, 52% of critics on RT recommend seeing ROTB right now.

17. Nako

Nako Well-Known Member

My only complaint I want those Toys Right Now especially ROTB Optimus Prime, Arcee, Airrazor, and a Gijoe Exosuit Noah

• Like Like x 2
  18. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Bumblebee was a fluke.

Some positives...

Autobots finally talk in vehicle mode
    Mirage
    Autobots team dynamics and interaction in act 1
    Heros having some conflicting goals
    The *concept* of prime having an arc

Some negatives...

You saw the movie right?
    War crimes prime, a giant grey portal fortress appearing out of nowhere, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  19. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why’s funny about Scourge is that during the test screenings last year, it’s reported that while they did use the old model the toy was based on, the new design was already finalized in a few scenes. Meaning this redesign has been around for quite a while. Why Hasbro decided to forge ahead with the concept art toy and delay Primal who is pretty damn close to everything we say in the film and concept art is beyond me. Definitely needs another shot though. Hope the designers actually do it, as a lot of characters need redos in SS.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Zavecticon

Zavecticon Active Member

All I will say is that the trailer promised something amazing but what I saw was so different and not as great as I expected. I still had fun watching it. The Popcorn truck was cool.

• Like Like x 1