Transformers Rise of the Beasts Review Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, May 27, 2023.

?

Rate Transformers Rise of the Beasts

1. 1

2.6%
  2. 2

0.8%
  3. 3

2.6%
  4. 4

3.8%
  5. 5

6.9%
  6. 6

11.9%
  7. 7

25.0%
  8. 8

28.2%
  9. 9

9.9%
  10. 10

8.2%
  1. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. casperk99

casperk99 Well-Known Member

Watched the movie last night. I consider myself a big Transfomers G1 fan. Wasn't really a fan of beast wars, with that being said could have used a lot more Beasts that's for sure. The movie could have turned me into a fan but it didn't. Anything that needed to be figured out as far as story goes the humans figured it out. The Transformers job was really just security detail. Very disappointing that Mega-Man made an appearance (Noah) wears Mirage and all of a sudden is a bad ass, saving Optimus prime similar to how Leo/Simmons survive Devastator. The robot on robot fighting is great. Everything that takes place in NY is great, after they leave we're all down hill from here. Unfortunately this was a Turd. I hate that I feel like this, I love this franchise and this sucks!! I'm sorry, I hope you guys enjoy it. I do, really wish I did.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Confused Millennial

Confused Millennial Well-Known Member

RT audience score is holding at 90% more or less. Hopefully it doesn’t crater as more mass audiences begin streaming into regular showings (remember that we started around 70% with the critics).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    100% - 2007 is still the best!

• Like Like x 5
  5. ShockSound6

ShockSound6 but you can call me GRACE

8/10
    This movie’s biggest problem was too many characters. Wheeljack, Arcee, Cheetor, Rhinox, Battletrap, and Nightbird all could have been cut.
    My other problem is the last act, from when Primal kills Airrazor. Machu Pichu had not relevance to the story. The towers just felt illogical.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Siberian Prime

Siberian Prime the one who never took cold shower

What is this abomination
    Please tell me it is not official

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    That's literally the image they show for the 'behind the scenes' video of Dinklage doing voice recording for Scourge.

It's official.

8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  9. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stack Ranking:

Bumblebee
    AOE
    ROTB
    ROTF
    DOTM
    The Last Knight.

Rise of the Beast's first 15 minutes are unironically better than any other extended sequence in a Transformers movie. The rest of it is just IP slurry with some small flashes of interesting character moments or the Kicker Sequence at the end. I was kind of stunned that even avoiding the TV spots, the vast majority of every setpiece was featured in the two main trailers released and they were all pretty short. The action itself all feels pretty perfunctory. Because most of it just revolves around bored Oscar winners saying proper nouns, it loses some of its edge.

This felt like it needed to be two different movies. Either a Bumblebee Sequel or a Beast Wars Spinoff. Movie either needed to be half an hour longer or less because it just didn't really find a way to be a compelling version of either. Anthony Ramos and Dominique Fishback are down to clown though. They put a lot into their roles and most of the best moments in the movie fall at their feet.

A few years ago I showed my wife all of Beast Wars. She appreciates my hobby but isnt an active participant in the TF fandom. She saw ROTB with me last night and her first comment was "NOT ENOUGH BEASTS. WHERE WAS RATTRAP? Where was Inferno? Waspinator?!"

I think if you've already seen six of these movies then you owe it to yourself to see one that takes Transformers mythos relatively seriously.... maybe a little too seriously?

6/10

• Like Like x 3
  10. ThePrime84

ThePrime84 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Am I the only one who felt like this finale just kinda came out of nowhere? Like, I was expecting way more movie before the final showdown.

• Like Like x 10
  11. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

Saw it tonight, had super high expectations/excitement going in, and it failed to deliver in that regard. Not saying I hated it, far from it, I just need to see it again knowing what to expect. It happens. I don’t always love my favorite bands new albums right away, either.

Speaking of music, though…I hated the soundtrack. Like, hate hate. I was a 90’s grunge kid. Played guitar, long hair, holes in my jeans, and all that stuff. And in general, I was treated like shit from the crowd that listened to the type of music in this movie. I think I’ll always loathe the genre. Plus, in my super bias opinion, it just doesn’t work with Transformers.

Not hyped about the gi joe thing, either. It’s just kind of annoying that Bb was so great, rotb felt like a little step back, and now they’re bringing in joes? It’s hard enough getting a great tf movie, and now gi joes are moving in? Doesn’t seem promising.

Anyway, sorry to sound so negative. Like I said, I liked it fine, and I realize going into anything with such high expectations rarely is a good idea.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Opti772

Opti772 Well-Known Member

I felt the same like I want more already lol but I guess it's better than doing more than they feel like

• Like Like x 2
  13. PrimeBot

PrimeBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well its a 1 hour 57 min movie (not counting credits).
    Caple did say the original cut was around 15 min longer.
    Wouldn't mind an extended cut of it tbh. But seeing as not all the vfx are completed, it would take a while for it to come out.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It strikes me that I don't recall this movie ever explaining how the Terrorcons got to Earth? The dialogue implies they're from the future multiple times but the Transwarp key is apparently the way they went to the past, so how did Terrorcons do it too if they don't have one?
    I walked out of the theater thinking this was a 6/10, but the more thought one puts into any of it's plot points the more it looks like a 4/10, Bayformers but pretending it cares about story when it really doesn't when atleast Bay had the decency to be honest with how shallow and messy he was.

• Like Like x 3
  15. lordmegatron64

lordmegatron64 War Starter and Crate God

I genuinely found myself just getting bored. Another "We must get the relic" movie. Unicron does nothing the whole movie and doesn't even transform. Scourges "face Reveal" looked it was supposed to mean something but, like, it doesn't.

I was hoping that this was it. A creative, fun, well scripted Transformers movie. But no. I left feeling like I had seen this movie numerous times already because it looked and played just like the bayformers movies. The end scene with the job interview was something I wasn't expecting. But given how this movie was, I just can't bring myself to be excited. I'm tired of these live action movies doing the same shit over and over and over again. Saw Spiderverse the same day though. Had more fun with that and loved that more than this and I'm not even a spiderman fan.

I can't give it a 1/10 because it did have maybe 2 good fight scenes. But murderprime being back is just....Why.
    3/10

• Like Like x 9
  16. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    It was stated that once the beacon for the key went off, they could find where it was. How did they get to Earth, looks like the standard live-action space pod crash thing. Not much stock was put into the from the future part of it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, the theory that he was Bayformers Optimus are true…

• Like Like x 1
  18. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    :lolol  I don't think so? Honestly I don't really know, but he sounds so generic and dies by the end so it doesn't really matter anyways. He's just the latest in a long line of terrible movie villains.

It's pretty pathetic that the 'best' villains to come out of these movies are the two bozos from Bumblebee, who are pretty bland on their own.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think I have much to say that wasn't said, but I really did like that the Maximals were NOT the cause of the Nazca Lines and the like.

After 5 movies where Cybertronians did everything in history, it was a nice change. Plus, giving ancient peoples their due for their amazing engineering is always nice.

• Like Like x 8
  20. WreckerImpactor

WreckerImpactor Well-Known Member

I liked the first half, it had charm. Second half just flew by in a bad way. Peru was not explored well at all. Why did they even bother going there. If you took a piss at the wrong time you'd miss everything that took place in the city.

Aside from Prime being way more bloodthirsty than I'd like i did enjoy his character. Him being sad about not being able to go home was very humanizing. Mirage was great. Felt weird to see bee being a side character.

I was dreading the G.I.Joe tease. No one in my audience reacted to it. So stupid. Using one crippled on life support franchise (TFs) to hold up another unrelated terminally ill franchise is the kind of brain dead decision only a corporate stooge without a single shred of creative brain matter could consider a good idea.

• Like Like x 4