Transformers: Rise Of The Beasts Officially Announced

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jun 22, 2021.

1. AspiringCreator

AspiringCreator Well-Known Member

Potentially. You ask me though? If they do mass shifting then it's not gonna be the biggest deal. Sure it's less realistic but I think it will allow for cooler, more inventive robot designs and looks. I mean that's basically what killed some of the designs in the earlier movies. Some looks were friggin' cool like I'd say those original Optimus and Bumblebee designs... then you get Starscream who looks like a roided out dorito because they had to use the width of the F-22 instead of coming up with something that looks more like Starscream while being its own thing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GrimlockPrime19

GrimlockPrime19 I always have the high ground

Well, but if they made the big characters 10 meters instead of 6 meters height it's a big deal in both sides. I know planes are still way bigger, but a 10m bot turning into a bigger plane is better than a 6m bot. And hopefully they won't go dorito in the next plane bots

3. AspiringCreator

Not the original poster but I did feel like providing my two cents. Lorenzo doesn't really have much say in this from the looks of things. He's a producer which means that he might have some influence like maybe he suggests that they go more Bay in design cues to keep consistency with what people expect from the movies and so on but as far as sweeping story decisions? He doesn't seem to be in the driver's seat. The thing about him though is that it's at least frustrating when he keeps drawing Bayverse comparisons because all that does is introduce confusion as far as what this movie is intended to be into the discourse when it doesn't need to be there.

• Like Like x 4
  4. AspiringCreator

Oh I hope it's not that ludicrous definitely but at least they should take some liberties. I don't want them to go say full Broadside and come up with something that makes no sense but if we happen to see some mass-shifting and such for the sake of better designs I think overall it can slide.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Outatime

Outatime Active Member

Peanut m&ms are the best

• Like Like x 2
  6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Seemingly nothing, because he had the power to basically arrange and then sabotage a voice test with the explicit purpose of making Peter Cullen look bad. It backfired because Lorenzo is an idiot and didn't realize Peter Cullen, as a voice actor, can do more than just the Prime voice (he was also G1 Ironhide). This ended up making Bay decide to go with Cullen as he was impressed, so in a move of extreme pettiness, Lorenzo forbade Cullen from being movie Ironhide's voice.

I also recall that he didn't want the robots to talk during the film. At all.

Okay, because this is bothering me a hell of a lot more than than I thought, please at least spell the name correctly. It's MandariN. You keep putting an "M" on the end for some reason.

Additionally, why the hell would you use a BAD example of what you were talking about?

Uh...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

They're clearly the same design drawn in different styles. The biggest difference aside from color is Animated OP's windows, which themselves are not unique - they're Star Convoy's. Who, of course, is one Japanese exclusive version of G1 Optimus Prime.

And that's no longer making Hasbro any money.

Plus, you're overlooking the total public social media reaction when the original Bumblebee trailer dropped. People were fucking hype because of the jet guy who everybody assumed was Starscream because Blitzwing looks a lot like the classic Starscream design.

Of course, that wasn't actually the G1 design, nor was it even the same jet and some parts ended up in different places, but it had the same basic shillouette and the major parts like the cockpit and wings ended up in the proper places for a Seeker, of which Starscream is always the prime example of. And we did see Starscream in the film opening with his blue forearms and he had the same chassis as Blitwing and all the other seekers.

But such subtle changes clearly are beyond your ken to notice. To you, Prime looking like a big box because his alt. mode...is a big box somehow isn't complex enough. Even though the existence of the Masterpiece Optimus Primes should show that you can make a complex transformation out of a big box. You're just refusing to admit it.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Bombshock

Bombshock Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with you.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bombshock

Bombshock Well-Known Member

About time they used the old logo!

9. Autobot N

Autobot N Seibertronian

What

10. AspiringCreator

I would argue in this instance that the images prove the point. There were traces of G1 and some more obscure nods here and there but Animated did manage to make that design its own thing. It's G1 but it's unique through how it mixes and matches design cues and makes something that feels truly like its own thing. Also his argument wasn't that necessarily he just sees the G1 design, he recognizes there were changes and so on, it's just that they weren't enough to dissuade him from thinking "This is just G1 but slightly changed." when his personal preference is for designs that are more unique. At most maybe they can have G1 elements since they are absolutely what are tied to these characters but give them unique alt-modes, mix and match details from different continuities and releases, get creative with the designs instead of strictly adhering to what 1984 had which we should note is OKAY. It's perfectly fine for someone to not really care for the Bumblebee designs and have their design preferences.

Not only that but... I've gotta comment on this. To go for the "But such subtle changes clearly are beyond your understanding..." type arguments I'm sorry I just gotta be blunt about this. That never sits right with me, it sounds icky, gatekeepy and elitisty. It's the kind of argument that won't win people over so much as it will piss them off.

• Like Like x 6
  11. AspiringCreator

He was not kidding. Back in the early development phases of the movie, Paramount and Lorenzo di Bonaventura tried arguing that the Transformers should be mute the whole movie which Hasbro and just about everyone else opposed so hard they backtracked on it.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Easterburn

Easterburn Your friendly neighborhood Digibasher

All of this talk about how this movie gonna suck because the plot sounds convoluted.
    Me? I am a simple man. I saw Transformers movie for big robots fighting each other.
    The story doesn't have to be avant-garde. Just gimme cool character design and a cool fight scene and I am a happy man.

From the synopsis, it feels like an Indiana Jones-esque adventure where
    Autobots and Decepticons race to find ancient artifact guarded by the Maximals while hunted down by Terrorcons.
    Even though that sounds convoluted that just feels like average saturday morning cartoon episode.

As long as they don't depend on Michael Bay's gross humor. It's fine by me.
    After all, it's just a franchise targeted to sell toys.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I thought they were only starting shooting in the first week of July. Prime's truck was only spotted covered on a flatbed a few days ago on it's way there. Usually when they are filming leaked photos start hitting and I haven't even seen Prime's truck yet. If they are done filming in Montreal there should be tons of photos of vehicles, actors on set etc. by now. Anyway even if they are almost done filming I still don't think it's enough time to make a movie of this scope. But maybe I'm out to lunch with how big the scope is. I assumed this one was shooting for TF2 or TF3 levels of bots and general mayhem. Like I said I'm going to duck out now because I have zero interest in this movie. Have fun everyone! Be nice to each other! ;) 

Edit: From the front page news story. Looks like location filming (outdoors I assume) starts July 4th and they don't expect to wrap filming until the end of September. So this is why we don't have any photos of vehicles yet.

"We have received information on Location Filming (also known as Location Shooting) for Transformers 7.

While basic prep work, training, and Studio Filming takes place in Montreal at the moment, the cast will move on to Location Filming in early July (also in Montreal). Specifically, on the 4th of July. It is also currently planned to wrap at the end of September. We expect some sort of an official announcement on US Independence Day, as such announcements are common when Location Filming starts.

Additionally, we have received information that Patrick Kerton (pictured) will act as the Stunt Coordinator for TF7. Mr. Kerton previously worked on movies such as 300 and TV series such as The Boys. He is also specialized in immolation stunts."

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I mean, they're not if we're being honest. G1 Prime doesn't have a blue waist or blue forearms, and the head designs are entirely different. Aside from having a mouth, TFA Optimus has a head more based on movie Optimus, and his antenna and forehead crest are shorter and blunter. If you "G1-ified' TFA Optimus you'd still be left with a fairly different design than the original.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    The problem I have with that is that the Bumblebee designs are sufficiently different if you actually look closely.
    [​IMG]

I mean, right off the bat, the Prime design here leaves out a detail that every single Optimus Prime has ever had - the truck grille chest. Except Maybe core RID Optimus who had freaking muscular abs for some reason but it largely filled the same role. The limb are also quite distinctly multi-faceted ad aren't simply giant smooth blocks of blue and red as they typically are. They're broken up with bits of mechanical detail in them in a way that, at least as the elbows go, somewhat resemble the Evasion Optimus design.

Sure, it's more G1 than not, but this is also a super iconic design that has lasted through the history of the franchise that mixes things up just enough to be appealing as a super-detailed take.

I mean, hell, just look at how people reacted to the S2 ending of The Mandolorian. People literally in tears of joy watching Luke Skywalker carve through the Star Wars version of T-800 Terminators. And he was wearing his Return of the Jedi getup.

Because the way he's talking it makes it sound like the only worthwhile changes are those that are significant enough to radically change how a character looks purely for the sake of doing something different. The old G1 designs are chunky, sure, but they're also largely based on toys from the 1970s. Enough time has passed that super detailed adaptations of those designs can look quite different even if still discernably the same.

Hey, in my defense I said besides color and you're also forgetting that Animated Prime has a retractable battle mask that, when deployed, looks very G1 as opposed to the more angular Movie Prime one.
    [​IMG]
    (I actually couldn't find a screencap of the show with the mask up that wasn't Wingblade Prime)

• Like Like x 1
  16. AspiringCreator

I mean that's true and I agree that the differences are more than enough to distinguish the two but at the same time, I can see how for someone this might not be their cup of tea or that the changes aren't enough for them, especially if they're someone who didn't grow up in the 80s and thus these designs don't mean all that much to them. I mean for you and me, this obviously is a banger of a design that works so well... but we have to acknowledge that for some people this might not be their cup of tea and for them personally, they can see the design changes but it won't be enough for them because they can't get past their feelings that it's just another G1-esque design that aims to be REALLY G1 and really that's what it is, feelings about the design and subjective tastes. You can spend all the time in the world pointing out each individual change and the best you're probably gonna get is a "Okay, I acknowledge this is different. It just doesn't work for me and the changes aren't enough.".

Except he acknowledged that he really liked the Animated designs and one of the examples he gave in response to me about stuff he'd like to see is maybe for instance an Ironhide that is G1-inspired but is still a pickup truck like his movie counterpart with a transformation that accommodates that. The argument is not about wanting radically different for the sake of it, it's about a willingness to remix and get creative with it. In other words, if you must do G1? That's fine because those are the iconic designs of those characters but don't feel the need to so strictly adhere to making characters look so identical to their G1 counterparts with a few changes.

And I say... yes but the faceplate design itself is also not that much different from previous iterations of Optimus which have had either this look or the more rounded G1 season 1 look and it doesn't change the fact it's still pretty different in a lot of ways from the G1 design. It's the same basic idea but done very differently to where it isn't quite the G1 design so again, I'd say the comparison mostly shows what he was talking about. This took the G1 design and gave it a remix that made it feel more unique and while I like the BB movie designs, for him it didn't work and that's okay.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    While possibly not 100% reliable Illuminerdi did say that the film would be like a heist film so you may not be too far off from what the plot could be.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I don’t think so because it would look strange in NYC (Montreal) because of all the visual references to size. Even in Bumblebee it was based on the shot that was needed. When he was by humans or in the garage he was about 11’, than whenever Bumblebee was buy a car or something that would reference his size he shot up to his actual 15’ height.

As for Arcee, it will largely depend if giant bike parts or a tiny robot is visually distracting. They will go with what looks cool, which is the right call. For me I prefer to keep cars in the 15 to 19 foot range, trucks in the 20 to 25 foot and Optimus in the 25 to 30 range. It’s pretty much the vehicles sizes if you stand them up and decompress them into robot mode. And seekers to scale down to that Optimus range.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  19. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I will leave these discussions until they drop bot designs.

20. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Wait, Cullem was going to voice movie Ironhide?! That Lorenzo guys a real dick. Give me my Cullen Ironhide dammit! It’s literally Cullen’s second favorite voice.