Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Autobot Roadway, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Autobot Roadway

Autobot Roadway Member

In Revenge of the Fallen, the Constructicons are difficult to understand. Initially, it seems the Constructicons are just Hightower, Long Haul, Mixmaster, Overload, Scavenger, Scrapper, and Skipjack. However a Unnamed Construction Shovel is seen combining with Hightower, Scrap Metal appears, along with an Unnamed Yellow Dump Truck. Studio Series would ignore the Shovel and Dump Truck, and cast Scrap Metal as the hand. For the sake of this thread, I'll only refer to the Construction Shovel as Buckethead, and the Dump Truck as Payload for now on, as both are the most common fan names for them.
    Anyways, the problems with Devastator are where Payload and Scrap Metal form up?
    YouTuber Trans Theories has come up with an explanation for Scrap Metal, that being Scrap Metal forming the upper left arm, however I do have some problems with this. First is that this would give Devastator three Constructicons on one arm, and only one on the other, which is a bit of a stretch, considering how out of proportion the other arm would have to be. And the second issue is that on pictures of the CGI model, what seems to be a white construction vehicle control cabin is seen right next to Scavenger's section of the left shoulder, and the thing about this is that Hightower has a white control cabin, and from what I can tell from the Megatron Revival scene, Scrap Metal seems to have a yellow cabin while on the cargo ship, so I think that the cabin seen near Devastator's left shoulder is Hightower's, which means Scrap Metal can't be the left shoulder, since the cabin proves Hightower extends all the way to the connection point on Scavenger. So it brings back the question on where does Scrap Metal truly form up on Devastator?
    And as for Payload, many believe him as the upper left leg, but why exactly? Other than the fact he appears next to Skipjack for combination, I've yet to see anything that proves his parts are there as of yet?
    I'm making this thread in hopes that someone can help with these questions.

Also, here's some images of Hightower's cabin appearing right up against Scavenger as meantioned:
    Screenshot_20200914-211738~4.png
    f25f2157af9858128e472190686cb356~4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  2. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    The portrayal of the Constructicons is very messy (much like the movie lol) and it’s obvious that there was some miscommunication. In the Megatron revival scene, the overhead shot show red Rampage and Scrapper. When Ravage lands, it shows Yellow Rampage (at this point he was known as Rampage and wasn’t retconned as Skipjack yet) and Scrapmetal.

Then, the robot modes show red Rampage and Scrapper, yet this is still technically Scrapmetal. This is evident when Scalpel tells them to “kill the little one” despite him being the tallest out of the bunch.

Then Scrapmetal is seen in Egypt (even though he died) right next to Hightower, which makes sense considering they connect directly in the Studio Series version. I think what happened is that since Scrapmetal was mistakenly Scrapper in the revival scene, the same thing happened here, except with the unidentified bulldozer, or “Buckethead.” One interesting thing to note is that only a CGI model of Buckethead forming the hand exists in the scene, and not a physical vehicle prop.

As for the yellow dump truck (Payload), I think that he was potentially used for Long Haul like Skipjack was used for Rampage, as Studio Series Long Haul‘s vehicle mode bears a striking resemblance to Payload’s.

I assume that Payload and Skipjack were initially just Rampage and Long Haul and the colors were just continuity errors, but were later developed and retconned into separate characters. A good comparison would be Redwing, who was initially supposed to be Sunstorm but was then retconned to be a completely different seeker.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  3. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

It kinda looks like some big wheels there on the picture of the arm you showed (elbow). Could the smaller yellow dumptruck be part of that arm as well?

4. Autobot Roadway

Autobot Roadway Member

I do agree that there was definitely miscommunication with the Constructicons. What I feel may have happened, is that some of the set crew were given a picture of Devastator to know where everything went, and so they made assumptions based off the image, and put in some extra Constructicons they weren't supposed to put in. Another idea is that they had some extra construction vehicles on set they wanted to use, so they just threw them around the set during the combination scene, this causing the errors. Though one confusing part is why the Payload/Unnamed Yellow Dump Truck exist. Because we know why Buckethead/Unnamed Construction Shovel, Hightower, Long Haul, Mixmaster, Scavenger, Scrapper, and Skipjack exist, they had a role in Devastator, and Rampage exist so that one bulldozer can be Devastator's leg while the other fights Bumblebee, Scrap Metal exist to be ripped apart for Megatron, and Demolisher exist for the Shanghai scene, but why would Payload exist? I mean, if he isn't in Devastator, which seems to be the case due to not being able to spot him on Devastator, then why have any form of prop or model for him? The best answer I can come up with, is that he was meant for some form of deleted idea or scene that's yet to be revealed, since RotF has tons of scrapped concepts, so maybe they reused his dump truck for the scene so it didn't go to waste.
    Also, thanks for the note on Buckethead not having a physical prop, I didn't know about that until now.

I think I know what you're referring to, but I'll have to rewatch Devastator's scenes to see if they're tires or just part of the elbow joint or not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you watch the combination of these guys it's quite violent, a lot of slamming and force is used, parts obviously come off the members attaching in random spots.

• Like Like x 8
  6. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

It was like devastator was devastating them into pieces to put him self together.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scrapmetal might be the left thigh since the left leg has an extra tread and his colour scheme matches

it could be the yellow dump truck with something like Scavenger’s treads in reverse but the simple answer is that part being one that already has treads

• Like Like x 3
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I'm legitimately curious what happened with the Constructicons/Devastator, and would love to hear the story behind it. Hasbro initially didn't even seem aware of the second bulldozer and dumptruck. Not to mention that Overload was missing from some of Hasbro's early toys and marketing.

My guess is that Paramount changed the amount of vehicles late in post-production...maybe they realized the original 6 or 7 vehicles weren't quite the size they needed (the concept artists could have been making educated guesses, and weren't entirely accurate in their scaling). Maybe Paramount didn't inform Hasbro of these additions.

The excavator on the boat is also weird. That became Scrapmetal in hindsight, but that didn't seem to be the intent for the movie itself. Like, there's nothing about Scrapmetal's design that implies he's the excavator. He seems to just be a Scrapper clone. Which begs the question...who was the excavator intended to be?

And then there's the fact that there seem to be duplicates of all the Constructicons...as part of Devastator, and individual units simultaneously. And then a bunch in the sequels. Are there supposed to be multiples of them, or were the filmmakers just hoping no one would notice the CG models being reused as generics?

• Like Like x 6
  9. Autobot Roadway

Autobot Roadway Member

Well, I've done some investigating on Devastator's in film model, because looking for clues such as identifiable construction parts is one of the better ways to solve how Devastator is built up.
    And I've found a clue that could point towards the Unnamed Yellow Dump Truck, also known as Payload, possibly being on Devastator as the upper left leg. Now, originally I was against the idea, though that was because I had yet to find any physical proof of him combining or parts that point to him being on Devastator other than a third tread that didn't even match him, but since I have proof, I'm willing to consider it. The clue is yet again a cab section, don't know why those tend to be the main identifiers for me, but oh well. Anyways, a cab section seemingly appears near the side of the knee of Devastator.
    First screenshot is from the scene where Devastator is warming up his vortex grinder, and the scene shows smoke coming out of his back.
    Screenshot_20201116-165131~3.png Another shot is from when Agent Simmons is following up the pyramid after Devastator, and another good look at this same cab be seen.
    Screenshot_20201116-164950~3.png
    It somewhat, well to me at least looks closer to the dump truck cab than Skip Jack's cab, because it seems like this one is more boxy, than compared to Skip Jack/Rampage, who both don't have a completely boxed cab, as it seems that their cab has slight angles near the front of the cab where the front corners would, if that makes sense. For now, I'm going to say this cab is part of Payload/Unnamed Yellow Dump Truck.
    Would anyone like to agree or disagree on this?

Update: I can see that the windows line up with Skipjack more than Payload. So I may have to call this finding off as just Skipjack's cab section. It seems that I still can't find proof of Payload bring the upper leg. But, considering the sense of scale of the cab compared to both Skipjack and the whole leg, it may seem that an extra member is still needed for the left leg, but I've yet to find proof.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  10. Autobot Roadway

Autobot Roadway Member

I have an update on the identity of the Unknown Construction Shovel's identity, and thought that I would point it out.
    While browsing TFwiki's page for Scrapmetal, I came across some interesting details that were apparently stated by Hasbro. First off, one thing is that Scrap Metal is referred to as the yellow bulldozer in a QnA about Scrapmetal's identity. Another thing is that according to the wiki, a Hasbro Employee named Mike B. states that he worked on SS Devastator and rewatched the Devastator combination scene and saw the left arm was made up of Hightower and Scrapmetal. So, people may already be confused and dismiss this, after all, Scrapmetal was a Crawler Excavator, the left hand in the movie was a bulldozer. So, what exactly happened?
    YouTuber Trans Theories has a theory that claims Scrap Metal was revived from an energy wave given off from the Allspark shard.

Now, in his theory, Scrapmetal returns to his usual excavator self, but what if when revived, he wasn't the same excavator he once was, what if he changed shape and alt mode? If this is the case, then that would mean Scrapmetal started as a crawler excavator, got ripped apart, got revived as a bulldozer, and he went on to combine with Hightower, confusing fans thanks to the new look.
    And it could provide an answer to Scrapmetal's excavator mode appearing during the combination scenes, because, as stated from TheDude810 earlier in the forum:
    As he said, the Construction Shovel didn't have a physical prop, what if the excavator mode of Scrapmetal was used to show where exactly the bulldozer would be edited in, and what if that one scene where the excavator Scrapmetal appears was just an instance of forgetting to edit out the excavator for the bulldozer CGI model?
    If this is correct, this would solve where Scrapmetal forms, and who the bulldozer is.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nitro Mohawk

Nitro Mohawk Mercenary up a notch!

then who's the Volvo excavator?
    Devatator's Left arm is made out of Scrapmetal (Upper arm), Hightower (forearm) and the M930 bulldozer, Buckethead (the hand).
    [​IMG]

12. Autobot Roadway

Autobot Roadway Member

I've already explained this in a previous message.
    The theory is that Scrap Metal starts off as an Excavator in the beginning of Revenge of the Fallen, but when he's ripped apart and used for parts to revive Megatron, he dies, but the Allspark energy revives Scrap Metal.
    After this is done, Scrap Metal obtains a different form, that being the bulldozer.
    And to explain Scrap Metal's excavator form appearing in the combination scene, my theory is that it was set to be a placeholder, like how in Transformers movies a head on a stick would be used to show where the heads of certain Transformers characters are in order to show where the actors should look.
    And, since the Scrap Metal bulldozer has no physical prop, the excavator form could have been used as a placeholder, and there may have been plans to put the CGI model over the excavator, but since the excavator is hard to spot in the combination scene, it may have been missed by people who had to edit in CGI.

And my main piece of evidence for the theory, is that when Hasbro was questioned if Scrapmetal has a name, they said Scrapmetal is both the Constructicon sacrificed to revive Megatron and mentioned him to be a bulldozer.
    And even a designer for Studio Series Devastator noted Scrap Metal forming the hand.

13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    Admittedly I would've loved to watch this model be built from the ground up, just to see / hear the thoughts that went into it as he was being designed. Basically what @TheSoundwave said, I'm just super curious about it.

• Like Like x 5
  15. TheoryGuy2003

TheoryGuy2003 Well-Known Member

Amazing Tread, with so much more little details! I wish I knew all of this before I made that theory.

16. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the movie l have always wish that Megatron gave the order to the Constructicons to merge into Devastator.

17. Mixmaster the Chemist

Mixmaster the Chemist New Member

I had this debate before so here’s my assessment of the arm. Also I would like to add that Scrapper is really big and Hightower, “Buckethead”, and Scrapmetal are all too small on their own to combine to fit the size of Scrapper. That is why it requires three. B62DB884-AF04-4BC1-A682-E740620A0166.jpeg B663A6D6-2E7C-478B-AD4A-75FE1342D240.jpeg EA531CC7-6CA1-4216-B2B1-D3728918EC84.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Devy Max

Devy Max Well-Known Member

I have decided that the true answer is that nobody knew what the hell was going on and that’s it. I love ROTF and Devastator is my favorite design from the movies, but damn he is a mess.

• Like Like x 1
  19. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just decided to treat Devastator as a separate entity from the individual Constructions as we never actually saw his constituent vehicles transform into smaller robots, just other robots that happened to have the same alt modes. I think it was meant to be implied that smaller yellow dump truck and yellow bulldozer made up the left leg, but the leg ends up with two sets of tracks as if it's made up of two bulldozers. Even the naming by Hasbro is confusing. They call the yellow bulldozer 'Skipjack' but that was the name used in the credits for Rampage; they call the small excavator 'Scrspmetal' but the on-screen vehicle had a wrecking tool attached to the arm instead of a scoop, and had a robot mode identical to scrappers. Furthermore, the vehicle that formed the left hand wasn't Scrapmetal, but a tracked payloader! It's one huge mess. A bit like ROTF.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Devy Max

Devy Max Well-Known Member

Furthermore, Hasbro claims that the tracked payloader is Scrapmetal, but in the SS line the excavator is named Scrapmetal. Some say he changed to be the payloader after he was ripped apart, but then the excavator appears next to Hightower in the combination sequence! Autobot Roadway says the excavator was a placeholder that wasn’t covered by the CGI model of the payloader, and isn’t actually part of Devastator, but then the excavators tracks appear on Devy’s arm! It’s a massive mess. Best to just leave him alone and let him be.

• Like Like x 1