Transformers: Regeneration One - Why do people dislike it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by B u m b l e b e e, Sep 19, 2019.

1. B u m b l e b e e

B u m b l e b e e Bumblebee

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I find myself surprised at the amount of people that give Regeneration One a lot of flak. I thought the series was a great (and the definitive) sequel to the original Marvel comic. G2 along with everything else didn't exactly do it for me.

Guido Guidi's art was amazing, as usual. I enjoyed seeing all the classic characters returning and the rather dark tone to the overarching narrative. Although I will admit, the series did contain a number of plot holes. But that's bound to happen with almost any story. And some plot lines were rushed/characters killed off for the sake of time, resources, and the inclination of ending it all off at #100.

I just want to get an idea on what you guys think of the series. Go crazy! :rock 

2. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

I personally thought it was 75% this is Awesome and 25% ...the hell. Disliked most of the Megatron plot, loved Hot Rod being mentored by Optimus and becoming Rodimus Prime in a much less.. abrupt way. The corrupt Matrix was a interesting take. Overall a good but not great ending to the comic. Honestly, The Generation 2 comic was overall a much better story and a 1000% better use of Jhaixus and the new generation of Transformers, and -IMO-that is the primary reason for the dislike; pretending G2 never happened.

Out

• Like Like x 2
  3. B u m b l e b e e

B u m b l e b e e Bumblebee

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Completely respectable :) . Jhaixus was utilized better in G2. But I still stand by my statement that I prefer Regeneration One over G2.

I also agree with your point on Hot Rod. Rather than just suddenly becoming worthy of the Matrix, giving him a mini-arc where he learns to grow not only as a leader, but also a person is something I liked a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Furman unnecessarily defecating over his older work also Guidi's art was the only watchable part of it.

Also, IDW pretending that Marvel never did an actual continuation to their G1 was just cute.

• Like Like x 2
  5. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

It was a fun read. It really made me appreciate the marvel run. 84#0 did too.

Any issues about plot holes and continuity gaps are moot because I consider anything under the IDW label as non-canonical.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Don't know about anyone else, but this is why I didn't like it:
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty liberal with my love of Transformers, even setting aside my general criticisms. However, there are approximately ten billion comics with flying, screaming, shirtless men with blonde flowing locks. Transformers really, really, really didn't need to be another one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I would have been much happier if this had somehow been a direct continuation from G2 12 (or US 80, if you had to), and not clearly so written for the trade. The pacing was often wonky. When Guido came onboard, the art leapt off of the page, so that was a plus.

There was some good stuff in RG1; it just wasn't what I hoped it would be.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    It's definitely not Furman's strongest work, but I don't think it's as bad as some say it is. I think the strong dislike comes at least partially from an overreaction as fandoms tend to do, people hyping it up too much and it inevitably not being able to live up to it and I'm sure at least a handful of people who have never even read the original Marvel run or were only passingly familiar with it gave it a read and inevitably called it crap because they became lost.

It's not really a satisfying ending, but It's seriously not as bad as some have claimed. It had some really interesting ideas that I'd like to see played with again in the future.

• Like Like x 4
  9. BlueFlame

BlueFlame Well-Known Member

Generation 2 was waaaaaaay better. They should have continued from there.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I want a Regeneration 2.

There would only be eight new issues though.

#81 - 82: The events that happen between G1 #80 and G2 #1.

#83 - #94 - The original twelve G2 comics renumbered.

#95 - #100 - The events that happen after G2 #12.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Because its made by current idw....

12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I think the depthless Scorponok storyline killed it for a lot of people

• Like Like x 6
  13. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah... erasing G2 vs incorporating G2 was pretty terrible. I was always curious about the events that happened between the end of Issue 80 and G2 #1.

• Like Like x 3
  14. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I absolutely love the first arc of Regen 1. It was nice to see a completely batshit insane Megatron again, and the fight between him and Prime is honestly one of my favorite Prime vs. Megatron fights ever. Unfortunately after that everything kinda slows to a crawl, and the Scorponok stuff is just a boring rehash of his IDW characterization. This final issue is pretty great though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mega scream

Mega scream Tyrannical Freedom Fighter

Hmm I thought fans quite like it. My understanding of the fandom is very poor after all.
    It's a great comic, and I bet many would rather this than G2. It has its flaws, but seeing most loose threads being done with once and for all is satisfying.
    Springer's death was just sad though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I just couldn't get into it, and ended up not reading most of it - just kept looking back at the previews in the hope it would change my mind. Most of the characters being completely generic rugged action lads or literal zombies was extremely boring.

17. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, no. Can't speak for everyone, but I would prefer a proper ending to G2 (yes I know about Alignment), rather then ReGen.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I loved the portrayal of Rodimus Prime and Furman is the only writer that has used Blurr's speed in combat, making him kind of a badass but still being a nice guy.

Addressing the issue of the Headmasters' original heads.

Also Prowl wasn't a prick thankfully.

What I didn't like...

Wildman's art was dated and all his backgrounds are empty. The colouring was pretty basic too.

Turning the actually interesting Marvel Spike Witwicky into a third rate version of Circuit Breaker, herself a third rate character.

Megatron being extremely one dimensional and riding around on Serpentor's chariot instead of his Actionmaster Neutro Fusion Tank or at least it's detachable mini jet was disappointing.

Hot Rod in Zero Space was boring especially the not to the awful Ratbat vs Buster story. The only good point was the Rodimus Prime vs Galvatron part drawn by the always reliable Nick Roche.

I didn't mind Hot Rod being mentored by Optimus Prime but since Sparks were retroactively introduced into this continuity, I'd have liked Hot Rod to be classed as a Matrix Templar which is a concept I've liked and would like to see expanded on.

I also think it would have been interesting, if during the 20 years of peace, Galvatron befriended Hot Rod, and told him of his destiny as Rodimus Prime in his timeline.

The overuse of Wreckers, especially the inclusion of boring old Kup. Some explanation of Twin Twist's absence and not including Leadfoot just because of his Movieverse namesake's Wreckers membership.

Turning the older Decepticons into zombies.

Not following the old school policy of portraying characters in their newest toys. Why would Soundwave still have his tape deck alt mode after 2 decades on Cybertron? They could have used his War for Cybertron mold and retroactively made it an earlier pre Earth form that he reused.

Using G2 characters as cannon fodder.

Not giving the spotlight to later or retro G1 characters like Kick Off or Acid Storm.

Scorponok was reduced to a one dimensional villain. He retained Zarak's scientific genius but none of the character growth or morality?

Thunderwing was reduced to a plot device.

The ending where most Transformers are turned into shadows and the hint of leading into Beast Wars were terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I like Furman. I grew up on the Marvel UK comic but his willingness to ignore his earlier work, despite being part of the same continuity is frustrating for fans and he really needs to cut out the Furmanisms.

Anyway those are the things I disliked about Regeneration. I don't hate it but I just wish it had been done differently. Still, Furman has always written my favourite Autobot, Rodimus Prime, very well.

• Like Like x 3
  19. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add:

I made a Facebook post on a friend’s wall some time ago where I said, basically, I like Furman but feel like he’s gotten so many chances to go back to the well that I’d really, really like to see Marv Wolfman (who was prominent in the S3 cartoon writers’ room) get to go back and expand the Season 3 mythos.

I said I feel like we know what Furman has to say and I’d like some of the other folks to get their own shot.

Anyway, Simon Furman liked my post.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didnt like it either, I wanted to, it was my dream team working on my dream comic. But I just couldnt buy it.

1. It erased the g2 comic and the g2 comic was only a few issues less when you count the joe crossovers and double sized first and last issues
    2. Time jump, if they are going to erase stuff they probably should have started with a new issue 78 or 79. Tell the story they were planning before being told to end the comic in two issues.

They should have told the story between g1 and g2 comic and could have done most of what they did anyways. They should have bridged the two series
    They should have also continued after the g2 comic and kept going like they are with GI JOE with Hama. Right up until Beast Wars if needed.

• Like Like x 1