Transformers Regeneration One #90 discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Acteon, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So we've come to the end of the first major arc in what I'd say has been a patchy return to the Marvel G1 era.

At the end of this issue we've resolved the Scorponok arc which was, by and large, massively predictable, but at least a few fan-favourites like Perceptor have their moments.

Shockwave has some dialogue, and Starscream stirs once more, so some promising new directions to explore there.

In all, it was... ok. It wasn't bad, it wasn't amazing, but it was competently thrown together and now we have 2 more arcs to follow up this first one. I hope the comic picks up a bit of pace from now on, but I don't think this issue will do much to win back its initial audience.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This arc got me to drop a comic that I was really excited about like a hot rock.

I've only read the synopsis but it really sounds as if it makes the whole misadventure even more pointless.

3. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    This whole arc seemed to reach around its ass to find its elbow. The subplots are far more intriguing. Kudos for resolving Grimlock but everything about the gene key needs to be excised from the canon. Scorponok was the pointless answer to an unnecessary question that no one who read the source material would ever ask...

4. Burningsirius

Burningsirius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The subplots are going to come to the forefront pretty soon.

What is wrong with the gene key? Why can't people accept a mass brainwashing device that unleashed their dark sides? Also, the key didn't work on Punch which was a nice touch.

How could you predict Perceptor was going to betray Scorps?

Hot Rod and Optimus' arcs are next.

5. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The gene key was no worse than reprogramming them in their recharge slabs in G1. The name might be stupid, but it's essentially the same thing they did then.

All in all, not as excited about this comic as I am the other 2. It's nice if you're a die-hard Marvel G1 fan, but it just hasn't been that great to me. The only thing keeping me reading is the unspoken promise of Rodimus Prime finally making a comic debut.

6. yakko

yakko IaconHub BossMonkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The whole book seems schizophrenic. It jumps from arc to arc without spending enough time developing any particular part. It seems like it would be better suited to spend an issue or two on each subplot instead of jumping around. I enjoyed the 8 page Monstrosity issue this week much more than Regeneration One 90.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Read a friend's copies of this series after I dropped it a couple months back.

What a fucking mess. Pacing's terrible, too much is going on at once, it's just a rapid cluttered mess with no sense of direction, and no events have any impact.

I'm just going to pretend this series ended with 80. Hopefully after this mess, everyone finally learns to keep Simon Furman away from Transformers.

This would have sucked 20 years ago, and it really sucks when we have stellar titles like RID and MTMTE running right now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like i'm reading the Bleeding Cool broads.

9. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was explained and depicted inconsistently. It made several Transformers loyal to Scorponok for no real reason.

Even worse, the mechanics of the plot make no sense. Scorponok didn't need anything from Grimlock. He has three Autobots and a PLANET of super-advanced Nebulan slaves (somehow) to infiltrate and/or conquer. Grimlock doesn't need Scorponok. He just has to escape and give the intelligence on Scorponok's location, technology, and plan to the Autobots. Perceptor shouldn't have agreed to fake anything for Grimlock's sake--this cost Autobot and Decepticon lives for no reason. He just had to storm Scorponok's ship.

It's difficult to predict because it's not something Perceptor would do. Perceptor, you see, is smart. He wouldn't join a pointless charade and kill dozens of Transformers just to get the drop on Scorponok, who is not so powerful he couldn't have been beaten much more easily.

You know what would have been more interesting? If Scorponok ACTUALLY needed Grimlock, and ACTUALLY found a way of enforcing his will on him at all times (say, if he Gene Keyed Grimlock like Highbrow or Brainstorm then Grimmy would be too wild and unpredictable, but he just builds that fail-safe in his new body as in the issue proper). Grimlock then would ACTUALLY Gene Key Perceptor. But, simply having his morals and inhibitions stripped away would not eliminate Perceptor's sense of inner logic, and he reverses the Mass Gene Key anyway because that is better for both his personal safety and for Cybertron! Scorponok never sees it coming, but Grimlock knew what would happen all along, because he knows Perceptor.

THAT'S a fucking twist, and THAT'S a fucking heroic "brains over brawn" triumph by Grimlock.

Or better yet, Evil Perceptor usurps Scorponok and becomes the big bad of the entire book. Because you don't tease and then waste the potential of Evil Perceptor, that's a terrifying idea.

How is there anyone who doesn't despise "Attack of the Autobots"? Just because you can cite it as some kind of precedent doesn't matter, it sucked then and it sucks now.

Really, this should have been a whole different story. Scorponok already had an awesome arc, an awesome death, and no pre-existing beef with Grimlock that cried for resolution. The concept of a behavioral program differentiating Transformers, Grimlock's search for a cure, and the threat of the neo-Decepticons could all have been used more organically in an entirely different arc altogether. This one just felt forced and unnatural, with the plot being both dragged out over too many issues and requiring odd behavior from the characters.

10. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Not saying it didn't suck. I still think it does. I never understood the logic of it, and the magic suction cup reprogrammers to turn them good, or the fact they shot Roller and the command deck, when all it takes to fix them all is Prime himself.

But, we'll know just how far the comic has fallen when Primus is revealed to have been built by a psychotic genius ape with a god complex

11. Burningsirius

News Credits:
    I know how you feel. I guess they will keep on reading their really crappy MTMTE comic. How many Rodimus awards have they given out? They really ruined Hot Rod's character in this really bad insider fan wank of a comic. Regeneration One is setting out to do something new.

Oh, and Furman created IDW Ultra Magnus as well. But don't let the Roberts fans know.

12. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not expecting everybody to like MTMTE, and I'm not expecting everybody to dislike Regeneration 1, but good job on letting your personal feelings, or whatever issues you have with fans of the 'other side' (hint: there is no other side) get in the way of judging the comics objectively.

Childish.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  13. Burningsirius

News Credits:
    No, I like MTMTE, but anyone can lob baseless accusations at a series. That was the example I was trying to make. Usually, the rallying cry around here is 'NOTHING HAPPENS' but lots of stuff is happening in Regeneration One. I come and go on other threads and boards, but I can never find good conversation and on here I see nothing but hate on Furman even spilling onto his own personal blog. Then, people were defending that!

Note: a MTMTE fan literally oozed with hate against Furman saying he should never enter Transformers again. That is who I was replying too. Furman set the foundations on what Roberts built upon and he gets nothing but vitriol.

Everything is going pretty awesomely. I can't wait to see what Bludgeon does.

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I hope the gene key and what Hot Rod is discovering about the history and nature of TFs is better fleshed out in the coming story.

I like the comic and plot. It was good straight forward and solid storytelling. I was disappointed however that the same trend was used.... Megatron had a big plan but was betrayed in the last minute by someone close to him he could not control, Scorps had a big bad plan but was betrayed by someone close to him seemingly under his control. There were too many parallels as the protagonist rides in at the last minute with personal dilemas.

Still fun!

15. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That one guy on Furman's blog was a DICK. Don't mix criticism with personal attacks, because all anyone will remember is the latter. Hell, I've bought Furman a beer and personally thanked him for all the awesome stories. I NEVER expected to drop this book. But it just isn't entertaining me.

Keep in mind, I liked and defended the first arc. The second arc doesn't take that away. I'm kind of wondering if there will be cool stuff in the third arc. But the Dark Reign is just...overdramatic nonsense.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I never saw what happened at Furman's blog, so now I'm curious what happened...

This sounds like it's about me.

I have no hatred of Furman. There was no oozing. He's written some good things in the past. I liked his work on Marvel Transformers as a kid (what I saw of it, anyways... being a US fan and all). I've gone back and read quite a few of the UK stories he did. Some good stuff is in there. I love the hell out of the G2 book.

But something started to happen when he came back to Transformers with Dreamwave. Something changed in his work. I liked The War Within volume 1, but really couldn't stand volume 2 and 3. His work on Armada and Energon was good, but not great. I liked them. Still do.

Then IDW happened. I love Infiltration and Escalation. I know a lot of people don't, but there's some excellent character work in there. Devastation started going downhill. The Reapers were dumb. The Dead Universe was terrible, something that tainted IDW's comics all the way through until The Death of Optimus Prime. I think almost everything else Simon Furman wrote for IDW is terrible. The miniseries, the spotlights, it's all incredibly bland. The man does not write Transformers the way he used to, and I don't like the way he does it now.

Regeneration One is proving to me nothing has changed. Yeah, things are happening. Things are happening too damn fast for anything to have any weight. Characters don't have distinct voices anymore. Ths plots don't make a hell of a lot of sense if you scrutinize them, as others have done before, even in this topic.

So yeah, based on most of what he wrote for IDW including Regeneration One, I don't think he should write Transformers anymore. I don't hate him. I just want quality writing in TF comics, which is something he isn't delivering anymore. Maybe he can turn it around, that would be great. I don't like hating things. I would really like to love this series, but I can't. That's Furman's fault, not mine.

17. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In Furman's defense, I think that if he were able to complete another fully fleshed out miniseries to complete his run (instead of the story being force-fed into "Spotlight" issues), the overall arc would have been a bit easier to swallow. It also doesn't help that the Costa era came immediately after.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Whatever Furman did before has nothing to do with how he writes now. There's a reason people retire.

Wether he laid the groundwork or not is imaterial. He is not an ideal storyteller today. Just because someone can set up a foundation doesn't mean they can finish and decorate a 50 story building single-handedly.

19. Burningsirius

News Credits:
    Decepticon leaders have a tendency to have largess plans. It is in their very nature. Overlord in Last Stand of the Wreckers had a very largess plan to attract Megatron's attention that failed which is usually what happens to Decepticon plans.

I don't think the parallels work like you think they do, though it would be cool if it was a motif of cyclular story telling. Megatron just forced Prime to confront him, Starscream (the traitor incarnate) used what little free will he could muster to tell Kup what Megatron's weakness was, Ratchet.

Perceptor was a monkey wrench thrown into Scorponok's big plan. Grimlock isn't the smartest person in the room, but he knows how to foil elaborate plans. Perceptor was the time bomb he put in, a gambit as Perceptor could of blown his cover or been gene keyed again for insurance by Scorponok. I honestly thought Punch was going to have a roll in all of this. That too would of been cool, but I like Perceptor having some spotlight.

I don't think the next 2 arcs are going to be as predictable. Hot Rod did not slaughter any of the demons and is currently looking for a way to save/redeem them. Thunderwing's remains are under the joint control of Soundwave and Bludgeon and Galvatron is looming to usurp control from those two as Soundwave is not a blind Megatron loyalist. Optimus also is now stranded on Earth, another unforeseen event as people were speculating that Galvatron would kill him (though Guidi's artwork kind of spoiled that Optimus lasts at least until issue 93 when Guidi takes over).

We will see what will happen. Also, Unicron!!

20. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In a stupid fashion.