Transformers: Regeneration One #81 Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by tokuformers, Jul 7, 2012.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Well, to some extent, that's not really true. The early G1 comics were written by the guy who was responsible for developing Transformers from the ground up, and who created all the characters. In many cases, the versions of those characters who popped up on the cartoon were just watered down or outright corrupted versions of their "real" personalities, which were to be found in the original Tech Specs (and for the most part, in the Marvel Comics). Certainly, the fact that the cartoon was available to all kids, regardless of whether they owned many toys or purchased comic books, contributed to it's prominence in the Transformers canon, but I wouldn't say that that it is on precisely equal footing with the comics either.

During that brief phase in Marvel when Grimlock started falling into the personal-pronoun challenged imbecile from the cartoon, it felt like a profound selling-out. If nothing else, Furman at least dialed that back.

Oh save your pity. :lol 

No, that is actually Grimlock in the animated series. There's an adorable charm to him, sort of like a really comically stupid irish setter or an 7-year-old with delusions of grandeur, but there is no denying that he was an idiot, and by Season 3 was little more than a sideshow clown.

Actually, the character models for Transformers in IDW haven't been this consistent for literally years, and they're far more identifiable than they were during Figueroa's run on the Ongoing, as well as being more traditional and G1-reminiscent. Overall, the dynamism and general draftsmanship is superior to the Pat Lee stuff at Dreamwave as well.

I will say that Regeneration doesn't interest me... really at all. I'm also one of the few All Hail Megatron supporters out there... it has some great stuff in it and receives way more flak than it deserves. But nobody in their right mind would deny that the current MTMTE series is likely the best ongoing writing this brand has had... probably ever. The RID series is good as well, and the characters look pretty recognizable as well, despite being in "cybertronian" form. Maybe you should try that.

Wow, that's ignorant. Actually 20 issues is a shockingly confident long-term commitment for a miniseries. \The reason it's limited to 20 issues is because it was, from its very point of conception, a final resolution for Marvel's TF continuity. It is inherently an open-and-shut storyline, and an ultimate conclusion for what has been for a decade a dead continuity. The fact that IDW gave it 20 issues is pretty amazing. And it's been confirmed that the demonstration of fan enthusiasm for the project online (ie: petitions) was the driving force behind IDW going ahead with this (not surprising since the online TF fandom is pretty much the primary reading audience for the series).

So, uh... yeah. Your sarcasm and general snarkitude is misplaced.

zmog

2. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wish they wouldnt have scrapped G2

Wish they would have done this between the two series or after g2

Because of that I am not buying the series, BUT it does look fun, does look great and very much like the g1 comic marvel did. Wish G2 LOOKED this good ( story was fine but the art was terrible )

Hope it goes VERY WELL for IDW, so well they rethink the 20 issues for you guys who dont mind scrapping G2

3. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    maybe simon will tie in the loose ends of G2 :D 

4. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He mentioned on his blog that Jhiaxus will appear and will be a key player in the series. G2 will happen here too (here is Leadfoot amongst the wreckers, for example!) just not the same way. I know, it's odd for him to disregard the 12 issues of G2... but I can understand why. He always had to work in marvel by shoehorning his stories into Budiansky's stories... I can understand why he doesn't want to write a series that will just end with a "see the rest in Marvel G2, released 1994!" blurb. :) 

Yes, that IS Grimlock of the cartoon. Especially in Season 3. And the other dinobots did not even have that much character development as him. In the comics we got the sociopath Slag, the nice guy with authority issues Swoop, or the dumb but gentle Sludge who is just too big to move around without breaking anything.
    I said nothing about validity, both Grimlocks exist... both are G1 Grimlocks. But you gotta consider why all new material like WFC or the new comics use the smart, ruthless comic incarnation of Grimlock rather then the stupid one.

You are... sarcastic, I think? Or maybe you live in some odd upside down mirror universe? Dreamwave G1, and especially AHM, have been horrible comics, AHM being the worse of the two. And James Roberts is the guy who even makes me, an avid fan of Furman, to acknowledge him as currently the best TF writer in existence. LSTOW and MTMTE are masterpieces. I have re-read them a lot of times... while AHM, I am even trying to forget, especially the many issues where nothing at all happens, or Spike (I am a MAAAN!!!) Witwicky and how the previous hero got killed off-screen just to shoehorn him into the story. Or the toy-advertisment body changes without any reason whatsoever...

Most new comic arcs get a 6 or 5-issue run, so a 20-issue run is indeed a LOT. And if you would kindly look up your facts before trolling, you'd see it was Furman himself who WANTED this to be 20 issues long, to end the Marvel G1 series on issue #100. But hey, you obviously know better! :rolleyes: