Transformers: Reactivate Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Dec 15, 2023.

1. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Operation: Find my game!
    resw2.jpg

Reactivate Soundwave is a figure from a supposedly upcoming game. Of the 4 figures released in the initial wave, Soundwave is by far the weakest of the group.

Soundwave is falsely advertised, like Bumblebee. His stock photos were stretched vertically to look the same height as Optimus Prime...which made Soundwave look even worse. He is not 6.5". He is closer to 5.5" instead. Whereas BB could possibly pass off as a small Voyager, Soundwave really can't as he's ever so less buiky.

Soundwave has a large backpack relative to his size, which is basically for shellforming in alt mode.

He comes with 2 blasters: Sonic Cannon and Concussion Blaster. I'm assuming the cannon is the shoulder mounted weapon. That one has an adjustable handle. Unlike BB and Soundwave, Soundwave's weapons are blast effects compatible.

Like BB, Reactivate Soundwave is only molded in 2 base plastic colors: blue and black. All other colors are painted. The painted apps are actually fairly decent.

As for the overall design, it's not good. The bot mode in-hand definitely looks better than the stretched out stock photos, but the huge backpack is a huge drawback. It really throws off the figure's profile and is positioned strangely at an angle. I thought I was configuring the backpack incorrectly at first until I realized it's really supposed to be angled. The chest window does not open nor is there any space to store any potential minions in the future. The figure does look rather proportionally small, even more so than Bumblebee. The alt mode is supposed to be some type of SUV. Soundwave's chest makes up the hood. The feet are partially exposed in the rear. The transformation scheme is mainly shellforming.

As for articulation, head is on a ball joint. Shoulders are on simple ball joints. Able to rotate 360 degrees and extend outward 90 degrees. Elbows are on hinges and bend 90 degrees. Unlike BB, this figure does have wrist and waist rotations. These are 360 degrees. Yes, the hip skirt design is really, really weird. The hips extend out maybe 70 degrees or so. The hips can't rotate backwards. The hips are able to rotate forward about 135 degrees but the axis of rotation is so forward that it looks bizarre. Knees are on hinges that bend past 90 degrees. Ankle tilts are on hinges. Has bicep and thigh swivels.

Accessories:
    Concussion Blaster on left, Sonic Cannon on right. The sonic cannon handle is adjustable. These are both blast effects compatible.
    resw1.jpg

Bot Mode:
    The large backpack really throws off the overall look.
    resw3.jpg

The backpack parts do tab internally and supposed to be at an angle.
    resw5.jpg

It's a big backpack for a skinny figure.
    resw4.jpg

Odd how the Soundwave and OP set have blast effects compatibility but the other one does not.
    resw6.jpg

Comparison with MP3 Soundwave and Earthrise Soundwave. resw7.jpg

Alt Mode:
    It's some type of SUV. The chest window is now the hood. The large backpack makes up much of the outer shell.
    resw8.jpg

Another view:
    resw9.jpg

Comparison with MP3 Soundwave and Earthrise Soundwave. We don't have any other vehicular Soundwaves.
    resw0.jpg

Overall:
    Not good. If the figure was sold separately, would definitely not advise purchasing. Reactivate Soundwave comes with Reactivate Optimus Prime, who is a much, much better figure. He does not look as bad in-hand as the stretched out stock photos and is not 6.5" as advertised (he is closer to 5.5" instead).

• Like Like x 8
  2. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee weighs less than Soundwave, though. Bee is 83 grams, while Soundwave is 92. It's enough to be noticable in hand.

Maybe it's just because I heard so many bad things about him in advance, but he's not that bad. I enjoyed transforming him more than Bee the first time; Bee has clearance issues that I didn't experience with Soundwave.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Waiting on mine to ship, but based on pics, I really do dig that alt. mode. Might end up displaying him that way

• Like Like x 1
  4. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Toyline Juggler

Alt mode would be the reason why I get this. It reminds me of Legacy Crankcase and I'm buying mostly road-based Decepticons. Anyone mind taking some comparison photos with other road vehicle Decepticons such as Legacy Knockout, Shadowstriker, the Stunticons, Crankcase, and Velocitron Scourge?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably the least of the four Reactivates, but still fun in his own way. The vehicle mode is his best feature.

• Like Like x 1
  6. seawatch

seawatch the bad user

People seem to be hating on this guy but I actually really like him. He doesn’t look as nice as his pack-in mate Optimus, but I feel like his engineering is cleaner and he has better accessories. He’s at least on par with 86 Perceptor for me, they’re both big deluxes with simple engineering but solid articulation. His backpack is unfortunate but not too bad, he reminds me of a human soldier with it.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Out of the set, Optimus is easily the star, but Soundwave is a good deluxe. With mainline anymore I appreciate when a deluxe feels like it's not too compromised for the budget, and this figure feels and looks good in both modes. Bot mode doesn't look or feel hollow, transformation is decent, paint feels adequate(actual color on the hubcaps) and alt mode looks good. Also sports an interesting alt mode take with the "tape deck" on the car hood.

Weakness wise, I wish the backpack was all a bit lower. That's one thing about the transformation is that you feel like it all should move down just a bit, but it doesn't.

Pretty happy with the set.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Roanoke Convoy

Roanoke Convoy Decepticon Tucson

News Credits:
    The figure isn't too bad. Echoing the sentiments above, he suffers by being packed with a superb Optimus figure, which leads to an immediate comparison. Soundwave is....ok. The bot mode isn't anything spectacular for me, but I do like the alt mode a lot more. Of the non-tape deck / vehicular alt modes that Soundwave has had over the years, this one is probably my favorite. The backpack doesn't bother me; it's there, but it looks more well-integrated as part of the bot than some other backpacks, which are just hoods, roofs, or windshields that just loosely hang in the back. This one seems tighter to the body. So yeah, it's a backpack, but it looks ok to me.

Now....the fact that he's a Soundwave without an opening "tape" deck is more of an issue for me than anything else. I get that the transformation doesn't allow for that, but I would have enjoyed the integration of some type of "partner" that can be deployed with him in some other way.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Decker

Decker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know you wanted mostly Decepticon comparisons, but I used what I had in alt mode already. Hope it helps:
    1000002615.jpg

1000002614.jpg

Yeah I agree, this SW is a cool little figure. I have no problems with his proportions and all his joints are nice and tight. He can stand on his own in all kinds of different poses unlike the Star Scream from this same line who's ankles are to weak to hold a pose. I don't mind his back pack, it's honestly not bad to me. I think this is one of the better SW updates we've gotten. I would have preferred him to have had an opening canopy so a couple of his little friends could be chilling in there until they're needed, but that's probably my only negative about this figure. I dig it, he's a fun little deluxe.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Michchall

Michchall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I really love this Soundwave, pretty fun, quick to transform. Reminds me of a TFA and Cyberverse designs.
    20231228_115740.jpg
    20231228_121958.jpg
    20231228_124013.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  11. Thebricklord

Thebricklord Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have small scratches in their chest?

12. Samurhino

Samurhino Give me some creativity, slavishness is death

I fully expected to not like this figure, I was going to have him as a deskbot at work because of it. Just something to fiddle with.

But I can not bring myself to do it. I really like the design and feel of it. Only two gripes is I wish the backpack folded down just a little more, and the visor should be yellow as it appears on the box. No purist for the yellow eyes I just dig how it looks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    As much as Soundwave is my favorite TF character, this figure is only okay. Feels like a much more refined version of Cyberverse Deluxe Soundwave. Just wish this one had a Laserbeak.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Same here.
    Just got the two-pack today, fully expecting Soundwave to be a throw-away figure. I was pleasantly surprised to actually enjoy it. Good transformation, nice detailing and decent articulation.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Dachande

News Credits:
    Not the worst...
    1000005087.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  16. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like him. Not getting the hate.

I think an optimus soundwave 2 pack makes sense too. I'm sure that's been discussed to death...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dachande

News Credits:
    Something I disliked in vehicle mode was that the radar dish kind of butted against the rifle and shoulder gun when either were mounted on the back.
    In looking for a better option, I saw that the rifle fits into the cavity between the lower legs almost perfectly, so problem solved.
    1000005093.jpg 1000005094.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  18. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I bought the set for Prime (which is the best Prime toy ever), but really like this guy too. He's not big enough to be Soundwave, but slap a sticker over the Decepticon symbol and he makes a good Reactivate Roller. The humans upgraded everybody, even non-sentient drones.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Nemesis Scourge

Nemesis Scourge Unicron's finest

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    He is starting to grow on my, though I am still glad I was able to snatch an single Optimus, but now I might get a complete two pack after all...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood ))<>((

• Like Like x 4