Transformers: Reactivate Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Dec 15, 2023.

1. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've gushed over this mainly because, apart from a non-incorporated weapon or trailer hitch (both of which I think I can remedy), this has checked all the boxes that are important to me, and avoided the shortcomings of the other Primes, as great as many of them have been. To begin with, scale. All recent voyager Primes have been scaled too small in truck mode (when compared to deluxe cars). Classics, VNR, Earthrise, Siege, Legacy G2, SS1020 and even MP10V, all just too small. The only ones that look large enough are CW and SS38. Then Earthrise, Siege and Legacy G2's tires all look ridiculous, like they're using the spare tires of Sonatas for semi trucks. Then the beds of the trucks are too high or just bad, like MP10V (too high), and SS102 (fucking awful).

And then the robot mods have been too short for many, as well as being way too long-legged. ER and Legacy G2 are like a pair of legs wearing a hat with short, stumpy arms. If I'd started collecting at WFC, then 17cm leaders would be fine, but I didn't, for many years 18cm tall was the norm for voyagers (not just the leaders, but most voyagers - yes, there were exceptions, but not that many and it went both ways, there were 19cm tall voyagers). So, I'm glad that this guy is scraping the 18cm mark.

That does leave SS38, which aside from the smokestacks being a bit too close together, had a pretty much perfect truck mode. Scales very well with deluxe cars, looks good hauling the MP10V trailer, and the bed looks like a real truck bed, no padding, a trailer hitch that looks like a trailer hitch, a headache rack that looks like a headache rack, AND his weapon's incorporation is almost perfect. But his robot mode...I've modified mine, making it far better looking than the official version, but compared to Reactivate Prime, he's just nowhere as good. And he's just...rickety with the legs and in his own way with the upper body, even a little after the modifications that take his love handles away.

And I think ultimately that's it. We've gotten lots of 'almost there' Voyager Optimus Prime's, and this is by far the closest to being 'there'. It's the right size, it has the right proportions, the right physique, the right truck mode; all the others have had at least one of those off. So, not sure if that reasoning resonates with anyone else, but that's why I gush.

• Like Like x 9
  2. peteynorth

So between meetings I've been dicking around with my kids' legos trying to figure out a good trailer hitch/incorporated weapon thing. This is my first swipe (seriously, just horsing around with these, by no means good), but it works as a trailer hitch pretty well, those side knee pad things hold the bumper in place securely enough to pull the MP10V trailer. As a weapon....ehhhh not so much.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Got this today and it’s very solid, great design even if I wish the eyes weren’t so small.

it does of course have the chest issue others have mentioned and the transformation is a bit frustrating. It’s not a complex design (basically the same as all g1 primes and uses some tricks from siege and Earthrise, though the leg flipping is new), but every part rams into each other as there’s not enough clearance for parts to not clash. I may sand some edges in a few select places just to smooth out the transformation. Then there’s the short handle I’m gonna have to extend somehow.

Basically it has the kind of issues I associate with modern design sensibilities. Since it was primarily cad designed, they didn’t fully think though how it would move in physical form. The parts may move right in digital space, but once in physical, minor tolerance issues make everything clash.

still very cool. I’m having fun with it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Took some quick robot mode pics for comparison and to show off some articulation. Pretty posable, but I wish he had forward and back ankle hinges along with an ab crunch then he would be perfect. 20240202_224357.jpg 20240202_224301.jpg 20240202_224017.jpg 20240202_222919.jpg 20240201_232048.jpg 20240201_230304.jpg 20240201_230814.jpg 20240201_230115.jpg 20240202_203324.jpg
    Optimus sees your search history, and he is not pleased.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pros:
    * Robot mode has a cool look, a bit of a mashup of G1 & classics/CHUG, with a touch of movie-ish detail in there.
    * Truck mode is also very decent, looking futuristic/fanciful, but not that much, a bit like Siege in that regard, and tucks the feet into the center instead of sticking out back
    * Articulation is standard-good, and joints are tight, bordering on too tight in some cases.
    * Color and paint detail is - mostly good.

Cons:
    * Robot mode has a minimal gap between the chest and abdomen areas, which opens up when you try to move ... almost anything.
    * Gettin' nitpickcy, Optimus's eyes are so narrow they border on invisible, his hands would look much better in blue, and truck mode has no mount for any trailer.
    * Transformation is not hard once you've learned it, but has some annoying clashy bits, and punishes you if you don't do things in the right order. Those thin gray backpack bits that go to the chassis sides of the truck LIVE to get in the way of something

Overall: I don't have the strong love that some appear to have for this toy, but it's pretty strong and good quality regardless. It's been a while since we got a well-made Optimus toy in a G1-esque style, but consciously diverting from the cartoon model, so it feels a bit refreshing in that sense.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I'm so glad people are finding a lot of appreciation for it, and it's obvious you've weighed it up well against other Primes. Keep on enjoying him! :thumb 

I saw a post in the Reactivate Starscream thread that mentioned the feeling of the plastic, and checking Optimus again, I can kind of feel it (definitely on SW too)....maybe that's part of what's been throwing it off for me?

Anyone else think the plastic feels a different quality compared to the regular lines?

7. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Depends on which type. The plastic feels the same as modern figures, for better or worse. The nylon type plastic always feels crummy, despite being more durable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. peteynorth

Our boy stacks up pretty well against my Decepticon heavy hitters (I got the waist extender for Siege Megs).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. EMPEROR NOVA01

EMPEROR NOVA01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Got my set today. I want to like Optimus more than I do but he just feels a bit unrefined. Like they rushed the design to match the game's original release date but never went back to polish it once Rise got cancelled/delayed/rebranded/whatever. Lots of corners that feel like they're grinding against each other, weird flaws like the overly short ion blaster peg, and then whatever is going on with the axe.

Definitely lots of things I do like going on but generally held back by a lack of polish.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Got my two-pack today.
    Overall, this is an amazing rendition of Prime. It doesn't really do anything special compared to prior releases, but man, it just looks so good. So good!
    Earthrise Prime has officially been retired, and until SS86 is released, this will be my shelf's main Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dachande

News Credits:
    Damn this is a good figure!
    1000005092.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  12. JasonTFW2005

JasonTFW2005 Well-Known Member

Just got mine. Definitely needs more and better paint. Battle damage is too subtle

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dachande

News Credits:
    I adore this head sculpt. It looks intense.
    1000005106.jpg

Reactivate Prime also looks pretty darn good with Super Megatron:
    1000005122.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. troglodyteman217

troglodyteman217 shitting on the bed since 1793

News Credits:
    directly below the enemy scrotum AKA Greece
    Getting this pack feels weird cause unlike most people I really love Soundwave and feel lukewarm torwards this lad. He is good and I love the designs of the modes but overall he is okay for me.
    20240207_104403.jpg
    20240207_104300.jpg
    20240207_104333.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. ziltama

News Credits:
    Re: Optimus Prime x SS-EX Nemesis Prime
    vsop1.jpg

Achai sword and a Kotobukiya effect with a 5mm to 4mm adapter (loose fit but good enough to stay in place) on OP; Achai axe on NP.

I can go through the parts bin later and try other accessories. It's unfortunate that the included accessories are so awful. The Honor Warrior hand axe and Berzerker sword would look good. The Renderform Ion Blaster is also a good fit.

• Like Like x 3
  16. troglodyteman217

troglodyteman217 shitting on the bed since 1793

News Credits:
    directly below the enemy scrotum AKA Greece
    Growing on me.
    20240207_213310.jpg 20240207_211825.jpg 20240207_132922.jpg
    20240207_124727.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  17. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great figure but my only gripe is the Ion Blaster can’t fit into the hand. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  18. ziltama

News Credits:
    Best fix: New Ion Blaster. Seriously.

Issues with stock blaster: combination of short peg and loose hand port.

One other idea is to line the hand port with a piece of clear packing tape.

Non-reversible ideas: heat and then squish peg slightly to fit snug into hand port, cut off and replace peg

• Like Like x 3
  19. peteynorth

New ion blasters are the best way to go. I have several options in my bucket of weapons, but I've got a few that fit into the MP10V trailer kinda securely. Top left corner is what I consider to be the best option, the ion blaster that comes with PC-17 core Magnus, it just requires a little tape as the handle is a bit narrow. Mid-left is the blaster that comes with Reactivate Prime, yeah, not ideal, but it fits perfectly in the trailer, and it *can* fit in his fist and it looks good, so will keep it. In the top right corner, probably impossible to see under the energon axe, is the Siege ion blaster. I needed one slender enough to wedge behind the axe.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  20. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    Put a little bit of clear nail polish on the peg. Let it dry.

• Like Like x 1