Transformers "Raiden" Project

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by chchchch, Oct 18, 2019.

1. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

I love how people can't just say "its not for me, but I'm happy for those who wanted it" Instead, everything needs to be treated like politics. You have to be in either the pro or anti takara camp and you have to attack the other side. Its a freaking toy, get over yourselves. If you love trains its for you. If you want a large poseable combined figure don't buy it, but stop being so condescending saying people that bought it wasted their money.

• Like Like x 23
  2. Mike Lundberg

Mike Lundberg Well-Known Member

Yep, and there's also nothing wrong with offering thoughtful criticism about the things you're disappointed about. But when someone comes in and starts tossing out silly exaggerations like this being "actual robbery by Takara"...well, they're just embarrassing themselves.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Frankthusiast

Frankthusiast Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'd look for Bombshell's cerebro-devices...

4. ThePrime84

ThePrime84 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't trust any review that refuses to do the most basic thing possible and actually transform it all the way

• Like Like x 7
  5. TaurusOxford

TaurusOxford Well-Known Member

Then they shouldn't have bothered with trying to make this a combiner, cause all it's done is set a bad precedent for future MPGs. Raiden is only getting as much of a pass as it is because it's a barely-touched character. What's gonna happen if Takara tries to announce something with far more market saturation like MP Devastator? Not only would it have to compete against the numerous third party options, it'll also have to compete against MPG Raiden's divisive reputation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Throway

Throway You'll never stop at one...

News Credits:
    I don't think takara cares about third party.

• Like Like x 6
  7. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

The supreme court of toy design isn't bound by precedent, its bound by cost and parts count.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Mike Lundberg

Mike Lundberg Well-Known Member

I'm not following what you mean by "bad precedent". Are you saying people won't even consider a future Devastator, based on being disappointed by Raiden...regardless of what Devastator actually looks like? I definitely don't like the design choices that were made for Raiden, but if a Devy were to come along and nail the toon accuracy in the same way the regular MP line does, I couldn't care less about what happened with Raiden.

• Like Like x 2
  9. IronEnder17

IronEnder17 Average Everything Enjoyer

News Credits:
    I can

1000017914.jpg 1000017923.jpg 1000017916.jpg 1000017920.jpg

As a fan of toon designs, you never realize how bad tooners are until you like a figure that isn't slavishly accurate, and then they get mad that non-toon toy isn't toon

• Like Like x 12
  10. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

Finally got my kaen in with the gift box

I love the set do not care what others say I am glad they prioritized vehicle and bot over combiner personally

And even then after having it in hand the only complaint I have is instead of giving Raiden a full on bakery they make those pods instead fill out the waist similar to the og toy where siazen and suike train fronts made his torso sides.

But that is all and I am sure some 3p will come out with a torso extender piece.

Other then that rock sid for me and not a pain in the ass to combine like moon is

• Like Like x 1
  11. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:
    When this was announced, I had preorded 2 of each of the first limbs. I then reevaluated and decided to allocate those funds towards getting a vintage raiden.

My financial situation significantly improved but after seeing how clunky the combined form looked, I didn't reinvest back in. I think the size, bad and cluttered combined mode really bothered me. When I buy a modern combiner I buy 2 sets, one to display combined and the other individually. That is a 2k affair in this case that I couldn't justify even with being able to easily afford it.

I am happy for those that are pumped about it and have it.

12. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Or. You're pretty heavily on the pro Takara camp, love the train modes, and individual robot modes. But then get labeled a "tooner" for criticizing aspects that have nothing to do with toon accuracy.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    For the reason you stated, I doubt takara has a lot of interest in devastator. the whole point of raiden was picking someone who would go over well with Japanese buyers, devastator doesn't seem to be a favourite. Couple that with the numerous other options and I doubt they're overly interested in making him.

14. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

Aren't they also doing studio series devastator? I doubt they do two different ones at the same time at different price points.

15. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devastator will get done at some point, he's king combiner among Transformers. Ss86 Devastator may put that on the back burner or they already gave someone in mind. If the leak is true Ginrai is done and is just awaiting production, they may give a hint in June if they have a panel again at TTS.

16. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Imagine giving a shit about someone's review.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Dudicus

Dudicus G2 Combiner dudebro

News Credits:
    I am very pro-Takara, I have every mainline MP mold so far and love them all to bits. My biggest issue with this set is stability. I dig the look of this Raiden, but he's really a display piece moreso than an action figure. I like my bots to be approachable, easy to pick up and pose and set back down. In general the MP line is very good at providing this. My experience with Raiden has unfortunately been the opposite: lots of floating parts that don't securely connect, loose joints that can't support the weight of the combiner pieces (primarily in the thighs), and limited articulation. It's a lot of work getting Raiden into a stable (and cool) pose. I've found in my experience that fiddling with Raiden is moreso something that you have to dedicate time to rather than something you can do in passing, if that makes sense. I suppose that's why Takara is pushing the stand so heavily. The stand is helpful, but also restrictive in other ways since Raiden's leg kibble tends to clash with the stand arm.

I respect the hell out of what Takara did with this set. Licensed HO-scale train modes, robot modes in scale with mainline MP, and an integrated combined mode where no pieces have to be set off to the side. Very ambitious, and I do think Takara successfully pulled off those goals. But as someone who highly values playability, Raiden unfortunately misses the mark for me.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Throway

Throway You'll never stop at one...

News Credits:
    20240302_145642.jpg 20240302_145915.jpg 20240302_152048.jpg 20240302_161629.jpg 20240302_143250.jpg

• Like Like x 17
  19. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    exactly. kudos where it belongs: alt and bot modes. and last night when i broke him up into bot and alt modes, i actually do appreciate them all lined up together. but for a new combiner line where G means GATTAI (union), GIANT, and GREAT, the GATTAI aspect is where the combiner aspect falls way short of what the line was intended for. you can argue that it actually does combine, ok cool. you may speculate that it’s based off a sumo wrestler, sure cool. but i’d rather have something playable that also looks somewhat proportional to the original source materials, and not a chonky modern day reimagining of it.

this would fit right in with the hasui-days where realistic alt modes were key (i actually appreciate this hybrid aesthetic, but have also grown to like the slavish toon aesthetics as of late, though some like ironhide are borderline boring without subtle panel lines and other details).

anyway, my collection is almost all official mp g1, beast wars, and mpm, sold off most of my 3p figures so i’m by no means a takara hater (quite the opposite, actually), but this set remains a let down, so much that i just sold my mpg raiden, and im somewhat of a completist. waiting for new mpg releases to see how they’re handled, hopefully with less divisiveness.

IMG_1914.jpeg IMG_1916.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  20. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

What I really love about the individual bot modes is they really look like a team and they each serve different functions. Very much a callback to s1 of g1 where they were in essence a military platoon.

• Like Like x 6