Transformers "Raiden" Project

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by chchchch, Oct 18, 2019.

1. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    Absolutely false. They were the same size as all the other combiner Generals in Zone. And Devastator fought various other combiners across G1. Predaking being larger was only a thing in the toyline and some defunct Dreamwave artwork. Otherwise, same as all the others.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BrooklynPrime

BrooklynPrime Banned

In Zone - a super obscure one shot OVA - but not elsewhere. Devastator and Predaking (and Raiden) were always depicted as larger.

3. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ''a super obscure one shot'' and ''always depicted as larger'' - put those two together...

4. Throway

Throway You'll never stop at one...

News Credits:
    He's looking awesome. Unpainted neck for raiden is disappointing

• Like Like x 1
  5. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:

That used the same story bible and reference materials as the rest of G1, but it doesn't count!!! Except the times where it did.

001.jpg

Although Predaking was never shown directly fighting against or alongside any of the other combiners he was portrayed in the same sense as the other combiners. He fought alongside Devastator once in the water and there was never any reason to believe they were ever portrayed to be larger than the rest of the combiners. They never had the implication that they were a larger team than the rest, being that their components were the same size as everyone else. The myth that Predaking was bigger was created out of the old Dreamwave artwork that isn't canon and Devastator being larger was born out of the cringy fan assumption that 6 construction vehicles meant a larger combined mode which not even once played out in the show. At no moment in the show was there ever an implication that Devestator or Predaking was was supposed to be larger than any of the other combiner teams. Not even an inkling. They were always portrayed as "combiners" and that's all, and all combiners were portrayed as "big dudes" who were basically the same size. If there was at all an attempt at them fictionally trying to be larger, they would have portrayed them so in an obvious fashion.

There wasn't. Not even once. Anything the toys did was 100% irrelevant. It never once factored into anything.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Throway

News Credits:
    I don't understand this price argument. Some of the MPG are the same cost as MP Trailbreaker, Raiden being as big as he is doesn't really mean they're not worth the asking price necessarily since they're all in scale with each other in robot and train modes

• Like Like x 8
  7. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I'm still hoping that this person doesn't know what they're doing and the Raiden head does fit into train mode and does not have to be removed from the bot mode for transformation like Shouki with Raiden's chest shield. I hate partsforming so if the extra combiner parts can at least stay attached when transforming from bot to train I'll be happy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BrooklynPrime

BrooklynPrime Banned

A single animation frame an argument does not make

• Like Like x 1
  9. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    Then provide the counter argument.

• Like Like x 4
  10. BrooklynPrime

BrooklynPrime Banned

The comics. IDW. Dreamwave. The original toys. The non-scramble city G1 combiners (save Monstructor) always were taller.

You do realize Sunbow isn’t the end all be all for G1, yes? MPG Raiden ends up being hilariously short, especially for about $150 per limb

11. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    I already stated that for an MP, yes Raiden is too short. I agree with this. But personally I'm satisfied with it because it allows me to place it with the CW combiners despite being from a different line. An unfortunate benefit.

MP is only Sunbow. Not IDW or Dreamwave. Even with them there was no reference for them being larger. Again:

• Like Like x 1
  12. BrooklynPrime

BrooklynPrime Banned

The counter argument was provided. You being unsatisfied with it is unfortunate

13. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    You didn't provide any counter argument. The show never portrayed any combiners being differing sizes. The original toyline (a mishmash of random toys pulled from different lines thrown together and later whatever they felt creating with no regard for scale) is irrelevant, fictionally (and show wise) they were all the same size and that's what matters.

A show accurate MP Raiden would have been larger yes, but he would be the same size as an MP Devastator, and MP Menasor and the rest if they existed. My satisfaction or unsatisfaction is irrelevant and if my argument was based on that I'd be right there with you complaining about Raiden being too small, along with any future MP combiners.

14. Throway

News Credits:
    Honestly I'd rather the bot and train modes be the right size (which was generally consistent) than the hilariously INconsistent combined form. Scale for combiners is the most loaded topic ever; yet at least one continuity or animation frame can fit into any size a combiner ends up being.

• Like Like x 4
  15. BrooklynPrime

BrooklynPrime Banned

Yes I did. Just because you didn’t care for the counter argument doesn’t invalidate it

16. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    The entire argument was whether Raiden was the right size compared to other (potential) combiners. For an MP lineup, he isn't. MP is only about show scale and if there was a lineup of MP scaled combiners, Raiden should be equal to them all in combined height when he isn't. Generations Devastator/Predaking were oversized for their own lines. For a potential Generations lineup, Raiden is fine. Devastator and Predaking are the outliers in size when they shouldn't be.

Regardless of line, Raiden, Devastator, Predaking, all the rest of the combiners should be the same size. For MP, Raiden fails in this regard. For Generations (which is also currently show focused), Raiden succeeds since he falls into the 13 inch combiner size. Devastator and Predaking fail because they're arbitrarily larger. Whatever their original toys did or artwork that portrayed them previously is irrelevant.

All combiners are meant to be the same size so they only need to fit inside that same bubble, which most in CW did. Devastator and Predaking did not. Any further MP combiners would probably not match with this Raiden.

You can claim "you didn't care for the argument so it's not invalidated" all you want, but the facts are that MP Raiden fits in great with a Generations combiner size scaling. Devastator and Predaking being larger is a failing of Hasbro even outside of Raiden when compared against the rest of their product lines. CW/UW and their exclusives gave us (at least) 9 official combiners that completely fit the bill, with around 5 more being provided adequately by 3rd parties that also filled in the quota at around the same size. For a Generations collection argument, Raiden fits in great, we're just waiting for Devastator and Predaking to catch a break.

For people upset about MPG Raiden's size because they want MP scaling, they should expect all their potential future combiners to line up the the same size they're hoping Raiden should be.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Onilink

Onilink That's my secret, captain, my head always hurts

News Credits:
    upload_2022-12-23_18-48-39.png
    But Raiden is made from 6 robot that are actually in scale with the rest of MP line. The combiner is only the results of a gimmick.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  18. BrutiKing

BrutiKing M O I S T

News Credits:
    Why are we caring about IDW combiner scale in G1 MP?

I’m pretty sure this scale would be not feasible in MP scale and physically impossible for properly scaled bot modes to match in combined mode… if we expect Devy or Preds to be bigger in G1 because of idw or whatever, we would also be expecting this scaling:
    upload_2022-12-23_12-55-40.jpeg
    I’m confused what IDW’s scaling had to do with G1 MP even though I also think the official Raiden is a bit too small - I think it’s worth what I’m paying for it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    They're in scale in robot mode, not in Combiner mode. You simply can't get both. Sure, I would have liked a bigger Combiner, but not at the cost of losing scale in robot mode, which is what the Masterpiece line is based on.

I thought that we would never see Combiners because of the massive shape shifting, but they solved this by giving Combiners a separate line under the Masterpiece name. Better this than nothing.

Compared to other Masterpieces, and seeing that these can triple change, I find the price fair. Depending on where you're from, each can be bought for about $130 excluding shipping and any possible import fees.

• Like Like x 5
  20. IronEnder17

IronEnder17 Average Everything Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Kaen, even as a block model, is definitely the most compromised one. But that's one mode out of 2 and I think that's a good ratio. Can't wait to complete these guys