Transformers "Raiden" Project

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by chchchch, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I think Hasbro should stick with the Raiden name but rename the individual bots. Hasbro was not ‘scared’ using the Liokaiser name in CW. Hasbro also likely recognize that fans connect with the original JG1 names and they carry value.

When we eventually get Generations Deathsaurus and Star Saber, I’m confident they’ll keep their names.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they changed killbison to ironbison, deathsaurus is not likely to keep that translation of his name, he would likely be dezaras like the combiner wars part of liokaiser

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I forgot/hadn’t noticed those changes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cynw32618

cynw32618 Well-Known Member

Love these names! I’ve cheated a little bit & mostly stuck with GI Joe names, considering they’re ‘official’ Hasbro ones I could see them doing something like this if they were brought over here:

Shouki: Storm Shadow (in story he’s apparently given a powerful & dignified name with a love of military history, which I feel works pretty well for him)
    Getsui: Low-Light (the Trainbot’s night fighter, I feel this works pretty well)
    Yukikaze: Avalanche (I don’t think the Autobots actually have another snow trooper, which this guy is meant to represent)
    Seizan: Alpine (he’s classed as the Autobot’s mountain trooper, and this is literally Alpine’s specialty for GI Joe as well)
    Suiken: Cross-Country (‘works well on even the most rugged & uneven terrain’)
    Kaen: Wildfire (I did consider ‘Backdraft’ or ‘Heatwave’ but felt this was best considering both his references to fire & him being the strongest of the Trainbots)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land"

News Credits:
    Personally not a fan of “alternate names”. The guy’s name is Raiden. It’s like someone from outside of Japan named Robert, going there and being told his name is now Shinji for the duration of his stay.

• Like Like x 5
  6. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    The reverse (a guy from Japan named something like "Shinji" going by something like "Robert" when he comes to the states) happens all the time.

(I'm not saying that's necessarily a good thing, but it's VERY common)

• Like Like x 2
  7. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Rail Raider!

I hope this is HO scale...cuz it’s gonna be titz...

8. Prime135

News Credits:
    HO scale is tiny is it not? Like the same size as the original G1 figures?

Edit: I’d say S or O scale would be most optimum for accurately scaled robot modes (probably S)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kaynowa

Kaynowa Will defend even Armada Side Swipe

Raiden would simply be the G1 iteration and Rail Racer is his RiD reboot, like Optimus and Ultra Magnus and Megatron. It isn't like it's two Rail Racers in the same continuity.

10. fschuler

It’s smaller than G1...even smaller than Hot Wheels scale. But since we’re talking TF’ing MP-style trains that will combine here, I personally think HO scale would be a great choice.

E08CA9BD-2C6C-4E33-8FFF-6D48D73B85DE.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Thing is, either train-scale or robot-scale pretty much HAS to be sacrificed. At most, they can choose one.

HO would be a bit LARGER than the G1 Trainbots. Remember that trains are bigger than cars...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Prime135

News Credits:
    My mistake, my only reference here is google images lol still, given the option, Id much rather have accurate robot mode scaling with vehicle modes in a less popular train scale.

Of course vehicle modes will never be in scale, but masterpiece has always focused on getting as close as possible to robot mode scale.

• Like Like x 1
  13. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say "always." They certainly got better over time, but the MP Jets will always be too large in robot mode compared to the MP cars.

That said, I am far more in favor of getting the robot modes scaled "right" compared to other MP robots. That actually means a combined robot that's somewhat smaller than CW Devastator, IMHO, but I'm perfectly happy with that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Prime135

News Credits:
    What are you basing that on? The seekers and cars are pretty darn accurate based on the season 1-2 scale chart.

15. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    You'll have to show me pictures, because that's simply not my understanding.

EDIT: Trying to do some of the legwork and not just leave it all up to you. Here's what I found on TFWiki:

16. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    We're talking about the same Hasbro that just released "Dairu" and "Zauru". I feel like we'll probably get Shouki and friends with their existing names. If nothing else, Raiden is used in so many places that I really feel like that name absolutely won't be changed. And even if trademark issues happen, I could see Trainbot Raiden or Raiden Maximus, or something like that.

• Like Like x 3
  17. fschuler

Sorry guys...when I said HO is smaller than G1 I meant that as a general comparison to other G1 figures (carbots and the like). G.B. Is correct in that HO would actually be larger than the G1 Raiden trains specifically. Sorry for the confusion!!

• Like Like x 4
  18. Prime135

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

This is the chart the animators used, and the one takara uses most of the time. As you can see, the carbots hit the likes of prime around the waist, while the seekers are only about a head shorter. MP-11 May be a little large, but only a few millimeters if that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Whatever else is true, most Japanese names are more readily trademarkable than other options.

Raiden could be a notable exception, however, given the Mortal Kombat guy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I'm not convinced that the animators were so consistent, nor that the toys matched so closely to this chart, but I see no point in pushing the point further, as my main point was to say that MP wasn't always consistent about robot scale, and I think the quote from the TFWiki (added above, perhaps after you responded) makes that point just fine, even if I'm wrong about jets vs. cars.

(A bit of a rabbit-trail, but I'm reminded of a post someone made earlier that pointed out that the Japanese cartoons tended not to use Sunbow's scale, anyway)

• Like Like x 2