Transformers "Raiden" Project

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by chchchch, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Yes, Kaen is the orange and grey one. The guy that makes up the hips/lower torso of Raiden.

Getsuei, the blue one that makes a leg, is actually the smallest of all of the real trains, at about half the length of Yukikaze (the bullet train leg).

• Like Like x 2
  2. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    It's probably not intentional, but Raiden being the "wrong" size reminds me of the original toyline where you had things like a massive Blaster and a tiny Monstructor. In that sense i kind of dig it, and it makes me really want Diaclone versions.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

So wait at the current estimate is Raiden smaller than CW/UW Devastator?

4. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep. Anywhere from 29-35 cm tall. Or anywhere from Combiner Wars Bruticus height to being 10cm shorter than Devastator.

5. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Shoot, I hope we can get a confirmation of combiner height soon.

If this is CW/UW scale I think I'm in!

• Like Like x 1
  6. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

Thanks. Was hoping for comparison pictures with actual model trains, but I can still tell from the pics these are larger than the N trains I had. Mine were standard American engines (steam & diesel) but those bullet trains are larger. How much space do the pilots take?

Kaen is a shunter, a small engine primarily used for moving rail cars around in a rail yard, not really meant for long distance jobs. He is certainly out of scale compared to the rest.

This new set is being heavily marketed to model train collectors, to whom I think scale is very important. Any chance they might change Kaen in some way to fix his scale issue?

7. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    G1 Raiden may be N gauge, but he can't be consistently N scale, due to the real engines themselves being different gauges. (thus, if the gauges match, the scales must differ---or vice-versa. But since we know they can all run on the same track gauge, that means the scale had to be different across the various members)

Through sheer luck, S-scale Cape-gauge locos can run on HO track. (or at least, should be able to based on my quick math---it's such a rare combination to need that I've never heard of anyone actually trying it on a model railroad, since Cape Gauge is most common in Japan, but HO isn't so much, and S-scale is essentially unheard of in Japan). I doubt any S-scale models/toys of a Cape-gauge loco have ever been made, until possibly we see Takara's MPG Kaen. There is no equivalent match for N AFAIK.

TLDR: Japan's trains are different from everybody else's, and it makes it darn hard to accurately match their scales/size/track/gauge for anything other than bullet trains. Even Japanese models of Japanese trains tend to fudge things, sometimes a lot.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  8. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

If you guys think this is expensive for the size, have fun wandering down the Google rabbit hole of HO scale Japanese bullet trains. Really dedicated train enthusiasts will pay mind-boggling sums for what we might call the “masterpiece” level of that hobby, and the fidelity and complexity there puts our toys in the shade.

Since this guy is aimed as much at their hobby as ours, I suspect what we’re seeing as insane pricing is being viewed through their lens as fairly normal, if not exactly a bargain.

Hard to make an exact apples-to-apples comparison since the two hobbies are so radically different, but this toy seems to kind of perfectly bridge pricing between those two universes at this size, and I’m honestly more excited to eventually see someone’s HO layout with this guy looming over it than I am to see it on a TF display shelf.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    If they aren't overly toon accurate, and they aren't large enough to have good scale in combined mode, why are these Masterpieces and not done as Classics?

• Like Like x 3
  10. xKAINxCAINx

xKAINxCAINx Goonies Never Die!

There’s definitely going to be amazing displays of these guys in train mode. I’m looking forward to seeing some fans have them set up with elaborate realistic displays. It also makes me wish I could share this transformer news with my Uncle who sadly passed away in 2013. He was a MASSIVE train enthusiast. Makes me wonder how he would of responded to seeing a transformer train set in HO scale. His name was Tom Fassett, he also had a train site where he expressed his passion for trains.

Welcome to Tom Fassett's Rail Transfer Station

With that said, anyone here who has Shouki Pre-ordered AND is a train enthusiast, what are your thoughts on the scale and look of these? Do you intend on having some cool display options for train mode?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Bit surprising; do we know how big Shouki himself is in bot mode?

12. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

With each update, this project becomes less enticing to me. I am starting to wonder if this will be the only MP combiner. To make something larger will cost more? And will the price turn off more people. Takara seems to be caught in a rock and hard place on this one.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Some model cranes are quite expensive too

liebherr-liebherr-mk140.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean, the “rumor” was Takara on the phone telling someone here it will be “29 cm”. I’d consider it pretty valid.

• Like Like x 2
  15. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

A customer service rep isn’t someone I’d take as a rock solid confirmation from.

• Like Like x 6
  16. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still, usually when it’s an unknown height they would simply say they don’t know or aren’t sure. Giving a definitive height sounds like the height has internally been revealed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. roaddemon2001

roaddemon2001 Mr. fixit

Not trying to make excuses but, this is Takara's masterpiece. What they say goes. Our scale is not theirs.im sure everyone in here has something of the same caliber in there collection.. MP 01, MP 5, MP 08, MP 10? Size and visuals are up to them to decide but, completely your choice to buy. Me? Masterpiece craftwork. Too small for my collection. Astrotrain needs a bigger astroforce.

18. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    「トランスフォーマー MPG」始動 - アキバ総研

• Released in 1987, "Trainbot Ridden" that combines 6 train cars is revived with "Transformers MPG". Starting with the first installment, 6 bodies will be commercialized in sequence over 2 years, and finally the giant robot "Trainbots Reden" will be completed. Stay tuned for more information on which characters will be released when.

• The first theme is "railroad". As the next development of "Masterpiece", which has been centered on cars, we will newly develop actual railroad vehicles that are more familiar and popular. Also, this is the first time that the theme of "masterpiece" is railway.
    • Realistic reproduction of the world of railways with the cooperation of the
      model railroad brand "TOMIX" team With the cooperation of the production team of the model railroad brand "TOMIX", details such as train colors and details are realistically reproduced, only for transformer fans. Not only for the design that railway fans will be pleased with.
      In the future, we will produce collaborative diorama images using the scene items of "TOMIX". It will be uploaded on the official website

19. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    Depends. I am guessing the source is Japanese? If that's the case then it's most likely true. Customers are real kings in Japan.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    N scale is a looser scale. Anything from 1:144 to 1:160. Japanese N Scale and American N Scale are the same scale/gauge despite the slightly different scales. They all run on the same track

• Like Like x 1