Transformers R.E.D. Series Announced

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by UtahRobotInDisguise, Jun 24, 2020.

1. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, had big expectations but quality looks really bad. I will cancel them.

What a shame.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    I could barely make anything out in that video it was so dang blurry.

• Like Like x 3
  3. G1Dan

G1Dan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. mciver977

mciver977 He'll rip out your optics.

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think the line will have a few of the issues Marvel legends/Black series encounter from time to time. I can't help feeling sorry for hasbro, brings out animation accurat figs which by nature are plain which some collectors want, then get criticised for bringing them out. Hopefully we can get some actual reviews. Weve not really seen them properly, or out of packet, I'm not sure the Prime vids does much justice.

• Like Like x 3
  5. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Of the three initially shown, Prime looked the most "off" to me with the grill being too wide. I have enough Primes so I passed, but if I'd bought him, first thing I'd do out of the box would be paint those runner lights on his shoulders a yellow/orange like I did with MP10. Gotta have the movie look. He looks naked with them just being red.

8. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    OK, just saw those high rez pics and yow. Megatron's head looks awful. Soft sculpt, poor paint.

I...uh....I might just cancel these. Didn't have my heart set on them anyway....I already own superior MP versions, and god knows I have enough toys cluttering up my room to last a lifetime. Yeah...90% leaning towards CANCEL.

Also didn't notice how off his lower torso is. His "obliques" are way too big.

I don't know man...I might stick with my MPs and Metal Collections for these guys. Sadly, there's no Metal-colle for Soundwave.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  9. BlackHawkOmega

News Credits:
    I... still don't think the Optimus looks that bad. The video review from a week ago didn't mention the double jointed knees.

But even if it turns out it's not great, the Furai model exists.

10. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Well, after some soul searching, I canceled my Megatron and Soundwave.

The pic that convinced me that Megatron is likely not gonna be worth the $20 plus shipping was this...seeing his face (and entire body) look like cheap unpainted plastic, almost transparent even, and the Decepticon logo's paint misaligned. Sure, it could just be a factory reject. Or, they could all be like that. And like I said, I don't like the shape of his "obliques." Is that petty? Of course...I'm a toy collector!

IMAG4006.jpg

Then I saw this promo pic of Soundwave.

It just looks so unfinished. Barely any paint, soft sculpt, ugly hinge for his gimmick. There's barely any detail. It just looks really "off" to me, and he's my favorite character. I don't even know if this is a pic of a prototype or a digital rendering, so the toy could be worse!

ezgif-6-8ae8f788c9b5.jpg

I GET IT. There's no need to lecture me that these are based on the cartoons. But even so, in my opinion, they're POORLY done figures based on the cartoon, and I have better ones in my collection already.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's cheerios. I hope you all enjoy them. I just saw myself a few months in the future with these things gathering dust, untouched, on a shelf full of other figures that I bought in the spur of the moment, and in a moment of clarity I just decided to cancel them now and spare myself the trouble.

If it turns out I was wrong and these are the best thing in years, I'll eat my words and end up spending over a hundred bucks for them later.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess it's just what the brand is going for nowadays, but I'm not sure if it was a good idea to start off by only revealing these three G1 figures. Prime, Megatron, and Soundwave all just got great figures in the current line that capture the G1 essence pretty much perfectly AND transform. This line is definitely not going to be as all-encompassing of any particular series as Generations is, so you're only going to have a handful of characters to display together anyway.

I think the better play would have been to play up characters who really benefit from having a non-transforming figure. I know we are rumored to be getting some Transformers Prime figures in this line, and maybe Beast Wars as well... those would have been the characters to show off and get people interested in the line. I think TFP Arcee was one of the leaked listings, if she turns out to be well painted and sculpted and dead-on to the CGI model, then that would be awesome. But we haven't seen how non-G1 characters will be handled in this line yet.

This doesn't always work out, though, I remember the "Robot Replicas" subline from TF07 and ROTF, which were non-transforming articulated figures, and in many cases those were worse in the sculpt department than the main line, so there was barely a point other than having no kibble.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BlackHawkOmega

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Robbot

Robbot Well-Known Member

That megatron looks pretty good. Love the range on that abb crunch. Wish they had engineered primes hips better and given him an abb crunch

• Like Like x 4
  14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where are you getting those extra "b"s from?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Robbot

Robbot Well-Known Member

Why? You need one? Here: B

• Like Like x 13
  16. PrimalMotive

PrimalMotive Barely Surviving

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Not gonna lie, they look pretty good. Not a fan of the scaling tho.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    His name?

(Sorry, couldn’t resist)

• Like Like x 3
  18. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one question can i use his head on the earhtrise leader prime

19. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    Yeah, these do look pretty good, but seeing as how well Earthrise and SIEGE have evolved,
    there's really no dire need for these. Just a smidgen more screen accurate, and that's it.
    Will probably pass on all the G1 guys unless they do Hot Rod, but I'm looking forward to how
    something like the rumored PRIME Arcee might turn out. Heck, I'd probably buy any fembot
    that they make, G1 Arcee, Elita-1, Chromia, Black Arachnia... :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  20. Noma-Caa

Noma-Caa Well-Known Member

I stand by what I've said before, and what a lot of people here have been saying. The two things that bother me about these are that they do look kind of cheap, and being told that they're a soft-ish rubbery-type plastic doesn't help, and that they weren't designed with WFC/Studio Series in mind (primarily in terms of scale, but also gimmicks). They should have been made in-scale with Siege and Earthrise, Soundwave should be compatible with the Siege Cassettes, and, in my opinion, there's no reason for their hands and weapons to not be 5mm compatible. They look like a good start, I'm just baffled by some of their choices.