Transformers Prime SDCC Panel Info with Video + Images

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Prowl, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Sadly, you are right. The mindless movie zombies kept coming back for more. That's what makes this all the worse. Hasbro actually believes RotF (and thus any related movie stuff) will sell without fail.

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    what is funny is that this is fact, not a belief, movie-related transformer product sells like hotcakes

i like ROTF, i know tons of people do, most of the general public loved the movie, it was the rabid fanboys that hate the movie

transformers prime looks badass, i can not wait

3. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

The rabid fanboys and the critics and anyone whose brain gets offended by an overload of plot holes, racist stereotypes, bad acting, sexist depictions of women, and just overall bad writing.

4. guard convoy

News Credits:
    most of the things that are considered plotholes aren't actually plotholes, the twins aren't racist, i see it as, they learned earth's languages from the world wide web, they are young bots and the way today's teenagers talk appealed ot them

5. Tirade

Those hotcakes have been warming shelves around my area for close to 6 months now.

Also, I find it hard to believe just the rabid fanboys dislike the movie. As lordcryotek pointed out, there is quite a bit to dislike about RotF. I just pray TF: Prime isn't full of plot holes like RotF. Shouldn't be too hard to top RotF's writing. The story for RotF is utter crap.

6. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Rotf was a result of writer strike, then they brought a third writer....plus some plot holes were tooo big to ignore....I mean the biggest imo...if a prime could beat the fallen, and megs "killed" prime, then why the fallen special...and of course the arrival of jolt and sideswipe, bike sisters without an explanations...ironhide and ratchet can't talk no more...how did bb get from cali to harvard or w/e school sam was going to,like in a couple hours...same as megan fox....I mean there were so many you couldn't ignore them....

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because the movie was 13 months ago, maybe?

My area isn't one to keep restocking after the first 7 or so months so I can guarantee you that everything sold out faster than the devil while you can still find Animated Ratchet and Blackarachnia from 2008.

8. Tirade

Then I would wager your area is unique. Most places do restock (of course now they wouldn't). That's been the problem. Too much merchandise and not enough interest. A certain Wal-Mart down in Fresno had about 5-7 Demolishors last I checked. They can't give those things away. The Target in Tracy finally got rid of it's stock. However, it took a big clearance sale to do so.

9. guard convoy

News Credits:
    if a shelf full at least 50 grindors and long hauls can sell out in less than a week at MY local wal-mart, yeah, i think that is proof that movie toys can sell

10. Tirade

And that was when? Right after the movie came out? Stores are clogged with RotF product now. They can't give them away. Why do you think Hasbro is offering that free Movie Deluxe deal for purchasing $25 worth of TF toys? They have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much RotF stock.

People got their RotF fill early. There is no demand anymore.

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well, arcee is a bike. It´s safe to say this show might last longer than Animated since it will not be under the "Arcee Curse." :p 

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's pretty hard to judge how well a line is doing from just the local area because each area is so different. What flies off the shelf at one location can't be given away at another.

The pattern I've noticed since I jumped back into collecting with Classics has been that just about anything Transformers sells really hard and fast at first. I can't think of a line that hasn't started out strong. But then all of them hit that wall where things stop moving and without a clearance the shelf warmers start to stack up.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

I can get that the character designs may not be some fan's cup of tea, but I still think it's pretty superficial to assume that TF-Prime will be just as poor as ROTF, just because Optimus and Bee have similar visual outlines to the movie designs.

Most cristics did not hate ROTF because it ruined their child hood. It was because the film was just generally a poorly done, rushed piece of work.
    Detractors of the movie line tend to forget the 2007 one actually did receive a pretty decent reception from most critics as being a rather fun film.

It seems the ones that are saying this is going to be bad, have forgoten that Hasbro has said TFA set the bar for story, so just because a few of the characters take some visual cues from the movie designs does not mean it's going to have the same problems as the movies.
    Unless your only problem with the films was a hatred of the character designs. In which case...Might be time to find something else to put your money and time towards. That's what I did during the Unicron Trilogy.

14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shelfwarmers are NOT an indication of the health of a line.

You do, of course, know that shelfwarmers are product that Hasbro has already sold to whatever store is selling them back to you?

Plus, shelfwarmers aren't even actually that bad for anyone. They keep Transformers on the shelf inbetween lines. Have you ever seen a big box store actually get rid of its Transformers display? Cause I haven't. They sit there and get bought at some low rate X by people looking for birthday presents, and they get clearanced out just in time for a new line to come in and start moving.

Hasbro spent a comparatively tiny amount of money to redeco Tuner Mudflap out of Mudflap. Nobody got fired over the fact that it's still on pegs.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Ah you've got to love Rotten Tomatoes for putting all the critics together to save you a ton of work.

For the first Transformers movie 214 critics reviewed the film and out of those critics 123 or 57% liked the film. When you look at the top critics the film was even better received because out of the 39 top critics who reviewed it 26 or 67% of them liked the film.

On a side note I really hate drones in anything but I'm still willing to give Transformers Prime a shot on the off chance they might find some new and interesting way to use the worn out concept.

16. Tirade

Well, some of what you say is true. However, a shelfwarmer isn't the best of things for a store. A store is going to be more cautious about an exclusive if similar items fail to sell well. Just look at those TRU Reissues from a few years past. They sold very poorly. Thanks to that, TRU did not carry Reissues for a long time.

There are very few positives surrounding shelfwarmers IMHO. Usually an indicator of a stale market. Just because the shelves are full with Tuner Mudflaps doesn't mean the TFs are doing well. Those TFs might keep the TF brand present in the public view, but even the public is going to get bored. I'd argue the public became bored with RotF quite fast.

BTW, I have seen big stores get rid of almost all of their TFs display. A few local Targets have stripped away almost everything. All that remains is the brand sign.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    If that was any time recent, they were probably removed or sent back.

I know a shop around here that's had a stack of ROTF Voyagers discounted to €10 for months. That's less than half price, about the price of a scout around here. They haven't moved.

18. vincheng2k5

vincheng2k5 Ratchet made me premed

Those who argue that only "rabid fanboys" dislike ROTF make me laugh. I came into the fandom with Beast Wars and have a small understanding of G1 lore. I've always liked Transformers for the characters and the designs, and I can handle a new universe. I disliked ROTF because I didn't find it entertaining, not because Optimus had flames or Mikaela wasn't Carly.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this new series. While I would've liked something more different, I understand the remodeling of Op and BB's movie designs. I just hope Hasbro doesn't think "all explosions and spectacle, no story" means a great story.

19. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Actually I just remember that there was a generally more publicly positive reaction to the 2007 film. Most of the one's bitching and moaning, that I recall, were stuck up film buffs and angry fan boys.

Regardless, my original point was that most of the top critics that did give the old thumbs down to the 2007 film was probably not because the character design was different from an old 80s cartoon that most of them probably never watched anyway. It was more likely because it was a straight forward pop corn action flick. Films like that hardly get ravingly positive reviews from all critics.

And that would be were Hasbro's statment about TFA setting the goal for story telling comes in. Again it all comes down to this superficial judgment of the character designs. Just because Bee looks similar to the movie design, does not mean the show will suffer from the same poor script and editing that the films do.

Personally, I would hope they can merge a little bit of what did work from both. Entertaining action mixed with good story telling. Kind of like Beast Wars. Which was not exactly sparse on it's number of explosions.

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Oh please. Wreckers has been the best TF fiction we've had since Animated ended, and the best Transformers comic we've had in years.

If you think think LSOTD was just the violence, then you don't read comics very well.