Transformers Prime Hype

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Tony_Bacala, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Then going by this team's history, I can't say I'm satisfied. Nothing offensively terrible, but nothing spectacular either. To go from an enthusiastic Cartoon Network Studios to this, it's not the worst thing ever, but it's one thing: a step down. And that's not something I'm altogether thrilled about.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why is it considered good form around here to express vague impressions as statements of fact?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Because this is the internet.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Not all Internet is created equal.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to have to agree that it's far to early to be passing judgment on Transformers Prime.

I've seen some elements that have me excited. I've seen some elements that have me a bit worried. But still until there are some episodes to watch to see how it all works together then it's still up in the air on is it good or is it bad.

Just too many things that I've enjoyed that might not have seemed that great when there was only a little info. I mean it's not like a huge investment of oh so valuable time to watch a cartoon to see if it's your thing or not. It's TV so you are paying the same every month if you watch a little TV or a lot.

6. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    im one of the few people "currently" Passing the show. But You are Right with that

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Beast Wars is widely considered by the "old school" "hardcore" fan base as the finest televisual Transformers series ever made. Sure, it's hardly as well known as G1, especially among more casual fans and the public, and the concept of (at least at first) organic animal alternate modes was hard to swallow initially, but it became the series people cared about, and was the first rebirth of the Transformers franchise after G1 and G2, well, collapsed.

Scoff all you want, but there's a reason why Dinobot was voted by fans into the Transformers Hall of Fame.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed HARDCORE! I mean, I know people say LIFE IS SHORT, but buddy, it ain't THAT short!

9. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Come on now, you think he wouldn't take an opportunity to stick the knife into the movies as well?

Now and again new posters like this G1 fanboy (note - I avoided saying GEEWUNNER) always seem to pop up on here, they post over a period of a few weeks saying how much they hate the new stuff, how bad it all is and then they vanish to never be seen again.

It's a waste of time even conversing with them.

10. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    I never said it was going to be the worst thing ever, did I? I suppose there are always going to be some people that think 'Godzilla', 'Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot' or 'Jackie Chan Adventures' are equal or better cartoons than 'Teen Titans', 'Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.' and 'Batman: the Brave and the Bold'. I really wish I wasn't an anal animation nerd, I really do: it would make things so, so much easier.

11. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I loved Jackie Chan Adventures and Godzilla. I also loved Extreme Ghostbusters and MIB and a lot of things done by Sony. Sure, they didn't make any great leaps and bounds in the art of animation, but they didn't need to. They were well made shows with good stories and characters. I've seen a lot of other shows that tried to do something new and failed.

If a show can't entertain me then it has failed. Batman: Brave and Bold just cannot do this and I'm a HUGE Batman fan. It spends its whole time pandering to kids instead of challenging them like Bruce Timm did. Hell, even The Batman challenged them a little...mainly to go out and by the new toy, but there was some thought. Brave and the Bold is the RC cola of Batman cartoons.

Of course, there is Teen Titans, which wanted so much to be an anime that it even had a Japanese version of thier theme song (and why did it need to be anime themed, I never got that). I liked the overall story arcs but a LOT of their individual episodes were crap.

And yes, I'm a huge animation nerd. I'm just not a snob about it.

(NOTE: I'm not saying Brave and Bold or Teen Titans were bad shows, they just didn't do much for me. I actually really liked Teen Titans when it first came out but it didn't hold up well. What I AM saying is that this is all subjective. Not liking something isn't the same as it being bad. I didn't like No Country for Old Men, it doesn't mean it was a bad movie....OK, actually, I thought it was but then I have different requirements on what makes a good movie. Mainly, that I am entertained first and foremost. No Country didn't do that.)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  12. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Fair enough: Lord knows Teen Titans isn't perfect and it's approach to the characters wasn't what a lot of people had in mind: to this day their seeming lack of secret identities still kind of weirds me out.

Surprised you don't like Brave and the Bold, though: it's not really toyetic, Batman just has a contingency for everything under the sun. :)  I can't even think of any relevant Batman figure variants the toyline had other than the 1-episode Green Lantern Batman. It's a fun little team-up show hearkening back to the old days of comics while still being clever. And the Joe Chill episode was fan-TASTIC. You say it's pandering, but when was the last time you watched the Timm cartoon, and how much of Brave and the Bold have you watched? Have you forgotten Mr. Freeze's gang of scantily clad Eskimo women? Or how Joker was always left begging Batman for mercy at the end of every episode during the Fox Kids years? ;)  Give it a chance! I find it more entertaining than any Sony show ever was, but that's me.

Like I said, Prime won't be the worst thing ever (that'd be the Unicron Trilogy), but Animated was everything I wanted from Transformers since Beast Wars ended. The more I hear about Prime, the more I know it won't be everything I want from a Transformers show, and yet it's the show we're stuck with 'til at least 2016. You can understand one not being thrilled with that, especially when you don't particularly care for your two other fiction options. (movies and comics) Not like it matters: the show will succeed, and the movie's approach to the franchise will continue to permeate the franchise through 2020 and beyond.

13. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Well, the episode of B&B I watched had Mongol gather up all the heroes and villains and make them race for control over Earth. That's a bit too much of Wacky Racers for me. I actually recently heard good things about the Joe Chill episode but I remain very hesitant.

I don't think scantily clad women are pandering to children! And while the Joker did beg for mercy from time to time, they also seemingly offed him half the time he showed up. I never got the impression that it was a show aimed at me and that was part of the reason I liked it so much. It challenged me when I was young.

And, you see, I didn't like Animated at all. I'm giving it a second chance right now, but it just isn't what I want in an animate show. I think too many people think of animation as a genre rather than a medium and treat it as such, especially now. So instead of getting a wide range of different shows, each with target audiences and goals, it seems like we get shows that keep talking down to kids instead of challenging them, though I blame that more on the networks than anything else.

Obviously, I don't think they always HAVE to challenge them but never talk down to kids. I think Jackie Chan Adventures was a good example of this as it never talked down to me. After BTAS, JCA could never challenge me, but it treated me like an adult. It wasn't "Let's make this for kids" but "Let's make an animated show that kids can watch." THAT is an important distinction for me.

14. MicroZone21

MicroZone21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how a show that relishes in geek-tastic Easter eggs and a barrage of references to Batman comics from the 1950s and 60s is pandering to children whose parents were likely not even born yet, but OK.

15. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Yeah, Brave and Bold didn't keep my interest for long either. And I gave it a few episodes, too, before I stopped watching it.
    I mean it had some good ideas, But overall it did that thing of trying too hard to be retro and nostalgic, and it just comes off as too cheesy for me. I donno, I'm just personally not a big fan of the gold/silver age of comics, and that seems to be the audience that B&B is directed toward.

16. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    It doesn't matter when someone was born. They chose the lighter, more kid friendly versions of the characters. I'm not saying it all has to be exactly the same, but Batman isn't a character you do light hearted humor with. I mean, more than half his rogues gallery are incarcerated in an asylum for the criminally insane when they aren't on the streets, brutally murdering people. Now, I'm not saying you can't tone that down a little to not give kids nightmares, but when you camp it up that much, how can it NOT pander to kids? "Hey kids, you can't deal with real violence, so now the Joker is just a thief and generic bad guy."

17. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    See though, that's not 'challenging', as there's nothing particularly more or less challenging in any of the shows you like or dislike. What you seem to be attracted to are shows done in styles you enjoy, closer to what you grew up with. Jackie Chan is the exception, I suppose, because there was no Jackie Chan: the Animated Series for you to compare it with. :p 

Animated and Brave and the Bold do a fine job representing animation, they just don't represent your interests. I'm not going to go on and on that Sony aren't as good at animation 'cause that'll just result in a back-and-forth with no end. Let's just agree we have different tastes and that all these shows have some merit.

(Still though, I wouldn't be putting Jackie Chan on a pedestal over those shows: not with 'JA-CKIE!' Jade and catch-phrase spouting Uncle and oh-so predictable characters and plots. Plus the constant reliance on really poorly done wild-takes from Jackie and the made-up mystical stuff (seriously, 'the curse of Killarney'? Do some damn research, Ireland's got tons of myths!), amd the animation? Talk about coloring inside the lines with the predictable wild takes and the fast-forwarding and the looping and looping and LOOPING. Again, not the worst thing ever, but it's hardly better than Animated or Brave and the Bold.)

See this? Right here? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Lighter does not equal pandering, it equals LIGHTER.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    1-I'm not certain you know what I mean by challenging. I mean a show that presented a complex, interesting plot. Shows that didn't, as I say, speak down to me, expect me to be entertained only by bright colors and fart jokes. Also, I said that not ALL the shows I liked WERE challenging. Sometimes, shows were just good story telling. And yeah, Jackie Chan Adventures was silly, but I was still entertained by the stories and characters to keep coming back. And I never said it was better, I just liked it more.

2-I never said other iterations shouldn't exist, I just explained that it was playing down (which I mean when I say pandering, which isn't exactly the right word, I know) to kids by toning down what Batman is. Yes, I grew up with Batman:TAS but didn't I say I was also entertained by The Batman, a show that was COMPLETELY different in tone. It toned things down, but not to the degree I saw in B&B. B&B will entertain a lot of people who like that version of Batman. Great! It wont work for me.

It come down to taste. Like I said, the big distinction to me is this: "Let's make a kids show!" or "Let's make a show kids can watch!" This doesn't mean certain shows are good or bad based on that, but shows that I will like are in the latter catagory.

One last note - My tastes have changed! When I was 5, I LOVED the 1989 Ninja Turtles show. Now, I can't stand it. I know some people my age who still love it, and that's great! I love that they can still find joy there. I just can't anymore.

19. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Except lots and lots of adults currently enjoy 'The Brave and the Bold'. And Jackie Chan had some pretty bright colors. :) 

Have you tried watching more episodes? The Death Race episode was probably the worst of the bunch. Although something tells me you wouldn't care much for the Aquaman Family Road Trip or the Music Meister either. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm sure they do (see my previous post) but that doesn't mean it's not a show aimed at kids and yes, it sure did but not to the extent that I ever felt played down to. But then that's the wonderful thing about objectivitiy! Two different people can watch the same thing and come out with different experiences. Some people on this board love everything about ROTF. I enjoyed the action and unique designs, but thought the story, characters and acting were poorly done.

And no, I haven't. It was one of those things that left such a bad taste in my mouth, I couldn't bring myself to try another bite. Like I said, I've heard good things about the Joe Chill episode so I might check that out at some point. But yeah, Aquaman Family Road Trip is not something I could sit down and enjoy.