Transformers Prime First Editions Officially Cancelled

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Matrix_holder

Matrix_holder The chosen one.

News Credits:
    The cost of living is irrelevant to the price of a Transformer . The cost of the figure remains the same no matter how much you make or spend out. The store and hasbro don't care how much you make or how much your bills total to each month they don't care about your situation in life when deciding price as they would charge a homeless person the same price as a millionaire. The cost of the figure remains the same. Dollar for dollar we are charged more and that is a fact. If you came to Canada to buy a TF you would be charged the same as I and vise versa. The cost of living ONLY affects YOUR ability to BUY them, not the price.

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reason wages matter is because wages differ depending on location here, not really jobs. Minimum wage is higher here in WA then in, say, Florida, so a lot of things are cheaper there then what we pay in this state like gas and food and such, even though the value of the dollar is technically the same across the country. Even a Toys R Us in a bigger city charges more for figures then one in a smaller city. And don't misunderstand what I'm saying- I'm not saying you aren't getting screwed or anyone from any given country is or is not, I'm just saying that there is a bit more economic complexity then the value of the dollar and pricepoint of the figure.

3. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This debate about prices versus wages was something that I wondered about a couple of months ago. So I analysed the prices of toys online comparing TRU US and UK prices.

Obviously, UK prices were higher, that was no surprise. What did surprise me was that the average markup of non-Hasbro toys over here was about 120%. However, the average markup of Transformers was over 150%, and the two largest lines - Deluxes and Voyagers - were both more than double the US price.

You can argue economics all you want, but when Transformers are marked up significantly more than other toys (in the same category), then it factors out economy.

It's obviously no way scientific, but I could start a thread on it if people were interested, and put up the price table.

4. Triple Melter

Triple Melter EGG GANG™

Nobody in this thread argued that Canadians pay the same numerical dollar number as the US.

So what point are you making, and who are you making it to?

5. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

One of the primary tenents of marketing is that selling price is not connected to cost. If the retailer can charge double and the customers keep buying the product, then there's nothing "wrong" with that price.

6. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Absolutely, a seller would be crazy not to exploit the elasticity of the market to ensure the highest returns. However, it does show that the UK pays disproportionately higher prices for Transformers compared to other toy lines, factoring out issues such as wages and cost of living. If we paid a 20% markup on the US prices, I would say that the prices were equivalent when including economic differences (based on the fact that 'all' toys cost 20% more over here), but the additional 30% on top of this (and this rises to 80% on top for Deluxes and Voyagers) is 'pure' profit, a higher price with no real justification aside from 'they can'. Therefore, the UK pays 80% higher prices than the US on a typical Deluxe figure, not including the numerous sales that the US gets.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking for GDP but the site instead directed me to GDP(PPP)/per capita (power purchasing parity per person) as a measure of comparing standard of living/cost of living. Here's are the 2011 numbers in US$

Country - PPP/per capita in US$, price of deluxe.
    Hong Kong - $49,300, ???
    United States - $48,147, $10-$15
    Canada - $40,457, $15-$20
    United Kingdom - $35,974, $20-$25
    Japan - $34,362, $30-$40

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html
    List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  8. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Deluxes over here range from £15 down to £13 on release. An average of £14 is $22.27 according to XE (while the lower end at £13 is $20.68).

9. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what point are you making? all you said is it is relevant but not explained HOW you feel it is relevant.

nice pink space marine btw

10. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Takara Bulkhead just dropped into my PoL on BBTS...

11. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine too and Cliffy as well.

Aaannnddd "Ship my Loot" button is pressed.:bay 

12. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Me too. :) 

Not sure what I'm going to do about Prime... maybe wait for one with a facesculpt, sans mask?

We'll get a better Prime down the line, no doubt. Question is, can I be patient about it?

13. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I just bought the last FE Prime at my local TRU today. I already have one, but hey, it was twenty bucks. Maybe I'll sell it or trade it or something.

14. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Takara Bulkhead and Cliffjumper also dropped in my POL. Wow seems like forever that I last used BBTS.

I really feel like getting that damn Vehicon....

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    PM'd ya!

16. Canadatron1984

Canadatron1984 Well-Known Member

As Canadian I have been trading with several US OF A ERS the fabled limited Hasbro First and possibly... only editions.

Whether or not they make them again several factors could come into play inferior plastic or not at all. Hasbro would have to officially announce there were releasing them again. That has not happened but they did hint Maybe.

The Americans TFW2005 board members that traded with me did not have to pay huge like evil bay prices and they gained a tf friend in CANADA. Further strengthening Canada/US relations. Canada, The great white north with polar bears, igloos, maple syrup dripping from every tree , snow every where, bilingual babbling, hockey supremacy, her majesty the queen. Yeah Go Canada!

17. Zeno4xx

Zeno4xx Well-Known Member

Haha speaking of wich got it all ready to mail out in the morn.
    I've got my fingers crossed that Hasbro does release Fe over here, but I'm not gonna take any chances, I would rather end up with an extra, than none.

18. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got my FE Voyager Prime,sweet figure

19. Triple Melter

Triple Melter EGG GANG™

its already been said dude

If you guys can't consider the discussion in this thread as a whole instead of only what the person said that you're replying to then you should probably bow out.

20. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^^sigh- really- i already responded to that guy directly, including quoting statscan and stuff- you never quoted him - you never made YOUR point clear- and you're being sanctimonious about me not filtering through 234 pages of whining and complaining to decipher what it is you think is relevant.

If you want to make a point- state it clearly- most of your posts are 2 sentences tops. Sometimes a discussion requires a little more thought than just two sentences.

you changed Mtrix holder's quote from :
    to
    which isnt the same thing at all.

and then you said :

you havent proved anything, and he is hardly disregarding cost of living- he discussed it. For the record, Videriant weighed in with this
    - which if you actually read his post- states pretty clearly that Americans have more disposable income relative to their standard of living (Power purchasing parity per person)

if you can't keep up with the big words, maybe you should just bow out of the thread....