Transformers Prime First Editions Officially Cancelled

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    But those are expensive toys because they are expensive toys. That's not the case here. The FE line were $15-$20 toys, end of story.

They aren't worth any more than that. They aren't accurate enough nor well-made enough to justify a price higher than that -- which is why they were given that price to begin with. These are not high-end collectibles by any stretch of the imagination. They are, as Anguirus and others have pointed out, kids' toys.

2. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

Don't try and make sense now. Someone else will just say you shouldn't be collecting if you can't pay an arm and a leg for supposedly affordable toys with a huge distribution oversight. I mean it's not like Prime debuted here or has a major toyline scheduled to release here or anything. MSRP? Triple that from now on as a general rule, exclusives go up ten fold. CAn't afford that? You don't need to collect right now. :rolleyes:  lol

3. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The price of children's toys is indeed a fact of the market and the reason it exist is because of the children. The 90-95% of parents buying toys for their kids allows Hasbro to mass produce these and sell them cheap. As an adult collector in the US, the price of collecting Transformers is a perk. Our collectors brothers in other countries do not have this same benefit.

One more time,

I have no problem with people being disappointed with not getting the FE toys. BUT, I have a problem with people acting as if they've lost a civil liberty.

I have no problem with people prioritizing their jobs/family/life over buying toys. BUT I have a problem when those people claim not to have time to keep updated but have plenty of time to complain online.

I have no problem with people ranting or raving about Hasbro. BUT, I also have my right to provide Hasbro's point-of-view. Hasbro does not do thing just to screw people over. Nobody ranting and raving about Hasbro has provided a good business reason to counter the FE situation.

I have no problem with people ranting about scalpers. BUT, If someone assumes that I'm a scalper just because I don't have a problem with scalpers, I have a right to respond. If someone threatens physical violence, I have a right to respond.

I have no problem with our Canadian brothers making a little profit on these FE's. Heavens knows that the profit they are making isn't enough to offset the higher prices they pay on all other TF's they buy. BUT I have a problem with people complaining about not being able to get these toys for US retail prices from a Canadian when they probably have never done anything to help a Canadian brother out.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Very well said.

5. DrunkSkunk

DrunkSkunk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    If they are just kids toys then why get bent out of shape about any part of this issue at all? Just forget it and move on. It's just a kids toy after all. But we all know we just want to say that. Because as collectors we do put more attachment to these "kids toys" that make them more than what they really are. That's why this First Edition thing is such a big issue, because it's more than just a line of kids toys...people have some attachment to these characters which make the product desirable.

I just want to relate a relevant story. You think it's tough not easily getting affordable First Editions? Try FIVE WHOLE WAVES of GI Joe product spread out throughout all of 2011 that were the exact same issue. But you want to know the kicker? NONE of these waves were "Limited Release" like Prime First Edition was. They were supposed to be from day one, figures you could walk into any TRU, Target, or Walmart and find and purchase. You think it's rough paying 70 bucks for a Voyager Bulkhead? Try paying 50 for a 30th Anniversary Storm Shadow. By the way, he MSRPs for 8-9 bucks. Walk a mile in the shoes of a GI Joe collector and this First Edition problem is just another walk in the park.

A collecting hobby is only sustainable if you're willing to go far above a "casual" level of collecting. I say it again...if it's too much, then perhaps forget about a line or the hobby and focus on priorities. Shit happens. In my case as a GI Joe fan, shit happened times.

7. Canadatron1984

Canadatron1984 Well-Known Member

thanks if that's a ref to me lol.
    Go Canada.

8. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Wow. Usually, I stay out of these debates, but I HAD to comment on this one. Well said, man. You've got your head on right.

9. Canadatron1984

Canadatron1984 Well-Known Member

what are you talking about, I thought it was in the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution "Right to keep and bear [Transformers]" jk , great points btw

10. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    not in Canada- deluxes come out to $19 and change after taxes and voyagers 34.07 or whatever.

just saying

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed 100% and I keep this in mind constantly. You didn't hear a peep from me when TRU raised prices on RiD...though it would have been nice if quality and size had plateaued instead of quite arguably dropping. But that's nitpicking.

However, they aren't spending more because our children's toys are their high-end collectibles. They are spending more because that's what children's toys cost over there. We in the US are very very blessed by the economic facts that let Deluxe TFs cost around ~$10, but I do not believe it is to the extent that we have perhaps unwittingly suggested. The Japanese market is really the closest to a parallel collector's market, and even factoring in import costs they are no more than 3-4 times the US cost. That is because no amount of paint, QC, or packaging will turn a toy designed for the US $12 pricepoint into a Masterpiece.

From what I hear these figures are far from trivial to acquire even in the countries that they are (unannounced) exclusives to. So Hasbro over-marketed and advertised products to fans and retailers that it had no ability to deliver. That's what you call a fuck-up, and it's a bigger fuck-up than the Windcharger business or anything else recently that you can compare it to.

Not sure what you are referring to. I keep very well informed and I can't budget for these figures at any price that they have ever been available at. That's not BBTS' fault and it's not the fault of any Canadian collector, that's just how it is. Sometimes people's time and energy for "collecting" waxes and wanes, and they have every right to be resentful if they got screwed out of figures because they didn't pay attention for a week or two.

This site is a luxury that I go to in my free time to vent steam. Right now I'm on it a lot, another time I might have a lot of fieldwork and teaching and not be on for ages. I like to think that I don't have to be a ninja to successfully trade my hard-earned money for a figure that was advertised to me months ago. If I wanted a hobby like that I'd hunt deer with a bow and arrows.

Who cares? Consumer goodwill is part of doing good business. I would argue that they deserve my honest feedback. Let them decide if I matter; they do not need your help in the slightest.

Please understand that I know very, very well that it was a calculated decision to plunge into RiD. If I were them I'd be slamming a full product line in there as quickly as the retailers would take it. I just don't understand why the main figures needed two complete new designs just to fit a later-developed gimmick theme...in effect, that gimmick consistency was more important than recouping their investment on all the FE molds. The RotF line was not 100% MechAlive.

And "lost" or rare molds always take on cult status. If FE had never gotten as far as it did there would still be a small amount of confusion and drooling over different prototypes. Yanking pre-orders, however, and putting out THAT OP and BB at the end of the day seems a bit like screaming "We don't know what we're doing!"

It doesn't help that there is also a three-new-mold "lost wave" at the end of DotM with more characters that were actually in the film than most of the other waves of that toyline.

But of course, Bruticus makes me give much less of a fig. So they are working on it. :lol 

Absoluteamundo. There are people on this board who come off slightly...worrisome.

This is completely, epically, 100% correct. I can't pay what OP and Bulkhead are worth and I won't ask someone to take a massive loss. I'll happily trade, I think I've got some good stuff in my collection that I'm willing to part with in return. But I'm disgusted with the abuse that is being heaped on people by US man-children who haven't stopped to think for five measly seconds about what things cost.

I suspect we agree on most things videriant, and you make excellent posts. However, I'm not sure what we gain by pretending Hasbro hasn't promised things it can't deliver. Close to half, at least a third, of the stuff shown at the 2011 cons barely exists in a Hasbro incarnation. They ought to know why they didn't get my cash, and they can decide whether to give a hoot.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I had no problem paying what I did for my First Edition Optimus Prime. Yes, it was more than retail. No, I was not ripped off. The guy who hooked me up should be rewarded for helping his fellow fan out. These guys aren't stores, they're fans just like me, with busy lives, taking the time out of their day to help people out. He helped me get a figure I really wanted, and if I can give him a little extra to buy another TF for himself as thanks for that, awesome.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Why do people try to act like US dollars and Canadian dollars are the same currency? I never understand this.

The other thing I don't get is when people take the cost of ONLY ONE THING, without taking into account all the other factors that constitute the cost of living in different places. You pay more for Transformers. Big deal. How am I even supposed to understand what that means? What is your rent? What is the average salary in your area? What do you pay in taxes annually? What is the sales tax where you live? What do you pay in health insurance? Anything? What do you pay in car insurance? How much do groceries cost for a family of 4 for a week? Telling me Transformers cost more means absolutely nothing. For all I know, the other things might more than counterbalance your toy prices. I'm not saying they do; just that I have no way of knowing.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

People have a tendency not to account for things like wages and the cost of living can be so different from one nation to another. Or that exchange rates aren't even so one US dollar does not equal one British pound.

They also tend to forget the little bit about how the taxes on imports vary from nation to nation. Chinese goods tend to go fairly cheap in the US because of a combination of favorable exchange rates and low tariffs on Chinese goods coming into the US.

15. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh noes!!! I can't get the toy that i want, when I want, for the price I want!!! Oh noes!!!

Sorry I couldn't help it. Seriously though, all these will be moot when the FE toys show up at Ross.

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Things also vary a lot by province, and countless other factors play a roll in our lives, many of which aren't even financial. People just get into the habit of comparing the costs of things like this (aka, how much transformers cost & how much postage costs) because they're actually comparable, even if we know they're errelivant in the grand scheme of things.

17. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It is. :thumbs2: 

People like you give me a reason to laugh at the hobby time to time.

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    His sig is pretty awesome, too.

Speaking of things unrelated, all this talk is making me hungry for a FE Vehicon. Not a good feeling to have hah.

19. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm able to ignore the FE vehicon thanks to the main line version. I'm sure the alt mode isn't going to be too much different, but I dig where the kibble is on the main version.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, in his cape. :rolleyes: