Transformers Prime Deluxe Class STARSCREAM

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Jul 20, 2011.

1. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hmm, looks a bit weird, but thanks for sharing! At least we know he can hold something...

2. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Lord Atmo

Lord Atmo Active Member

This figure is absolutely incredible. Very nice proportions and little kibble in both modes, excellent transformation, flawless poseability, and just an all around great figure.

If the voyager is gonna be even better, I may get blown away

4. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Don't have much to add on this guy. Fantastic figure. However, I know someone else mentioned it, but I don't think pics have been posted of the possible Gerwalk mode. It's pretty much spot on, can even do the spread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arms can't do much like that, but I don't think they'd really need to. But I never actually watched Macross, so I know nothing.

5. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: First off, this figure is a very, very close likeness to the character we’ve seen in the TF Prime series. There are no obvious differences except that the CGI character is missing the nose of the jet hanging off its ass, I think. Otherwise, though, very good. The same tall, skinny, slightly hunched figure, complete with the characteristic Screamer smirk. Nicely done, homaging both the G1 and Animated versions of Starscream. And the Movie Starscream fans get their due, too, because his chest plate is a spitting image of Movie Screamer's head design.

Starscream is tall for a Deluxe-class figure, mostly because he is rake thin. I still think a Voyager-version (which is supposed to come out at a later date) would be better in scale with the rest of the cast, but Screamer is taller than the other First Edition Deluxes, so that works for me. He carries missile pods on each forearm as weapons (no, he does NOT want a null ray!) and the wings behind his back can be posed a bit for different looks.

Articulation is pretty good for this figure and despite its long legs and small feet, I have yet to encounter much in the way of balancing issues. I also would like to mention Screamer’s nicely sculpted hands with the individual fingers. Very nicely done for a Deluxe-class figure. The detailing is very nice overall and there is none of that paint-is-for-sissies attitude we saw in Dark of the Moon. So overall a very nice robot mode, nicely depicting one of the all-time classic Transformers characters.

Alternate Mode: Starscream transforms into an F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter jet. I think this is the first time in a long time that old Screamer transforms into a single engine aircraft. F-14 Tomcat, F-22 Raptor, the various sci-fi style jets he became, all twin engine jets. But seeing as Screamer is skinny as a robot in this series, it only makes sense to have him become a skinny jet, too.

Looked at from the top the jet looks pretty good, despite the fact that Starscream’s robot mode chest plate sits directly behind the cockpit. But it suffers from a pretty common problem among jet-formers in that is has a huge undercarriage. Starscream’s entire lower body, hip and legs, just hangs under the jet in plain sight with the heels sticking out underneath the jet exhaust. Also, the jet doesn’t have a proper landing gear, just static plastic knobs that look somewhat (but not really) like wheels sticking out a tiny bit. Seeing as proper landing gears have been a standard among jet Transformers for quite some time, I’m a bit disappointed here.

Not much else I can say here. The missile pods from the robot mode forearms go under the wings and that’s it in terms of gimmicks. So overall an okay jet mode, but far from the best we’ve seen in Transformers in general and Starscreams in particular.

Remarks: Transformers Prime managed to quickly establish its version of Starscream as both the same back-stabbing would-be leader he was in G1 (he wants to dethrone Megatron, same old, same old) and a pretty scary bad-ass (he kills Cliffjumper five minutes into the pilot episode). Much like in Animated the break between Megatron and Starscream happened relatively early and by the end of the first season Starscream has struck out on his own. I assume the clone army is just a matter of time now.

As a figure there is nothing majorly wrong with this Starscream. He’s a good depiction of the character we saw in the series. His vehicle mode isn’t the greatest ever, but okay. So the bottom line here for me is that the figure is good. Not outstanding, not a revelation, just good. Recommended to all Starscream and TFPrime fans.

Rating: B

6. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sold on this. Curious about the Voyager version though, but this does look real good!

7. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope to get out to Toys R Us soon and pick this guy up, along with Arcee. I'm just wondering how much better the Voyager will be though... I plan to have a display with all the Prime figures mostly in scale, but I don't think I can wait for Voyager Starscream...

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Deluxe Starscream is in scale with Optimus, Bulkhead and Cliffjumper. He's actually rather short in the cartoon. A voyager would turn out too big.

9. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    This figure is an astounding piece of engineering, really. Takes cues from the Animated figures in that he has this amazingly small alt form, but this very tall and elegant robot form. The likeness to the animation model is just incredible, really. He is just so damn accurate, that really all you need is paint and weaponry. It's incredible.
    The articulation is great... the poses you can get this guy into is a photographers absolute dream. Love it. Love love love...

10. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not so sure about that. The powerizer gimmick will easily make him on the smaller scale of a voyager. He might be a little taller, but he'd gain a bit more bulk in the torso, wings, and legs. Given that he hutches over a lot, I don't see a problem with him being a little larger. Though I'm not thrilled with the prospect of light up arms and crappy gray plastic like I am expecting.

11. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Don’t be a jerk...

News Credits:
    Takara PRIME Starscream.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Huh. That looks really nice, actually. Who would have thought that just a swap with black for grey would make such a difference. That's a very appealing repaint...
    Also, love the Thundercracker. ;) 

13. NICKBOT

News Credits:
    Thanks man, that was repainted by my friend Andrew (the Floating Cat here on TFW).

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I recall. You're a very lucky man to have commissioned that.

15. NICKBOT

News Credits:
    I am, I was BLOWN AWAY at our local meet-up when he gave Thundercracker to me. Did you see his Skywarp? And yeah on the Takara Starscream, I know the colors aren't a huge difference but I really love this mold/character.

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney!

News Credits:
    The black does look great Nick. The man does amazing work, and I love that just the smallest paint app differences make it look like a whole 'nother premium in quality.

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Yep, I saw his Skywarp too. I drooled over it, too.

And yes, the colors aren't a huge difference, but it is a very appealing one.

18. NICKBOT

News Credits:
    He sure does, I should be seeing his Skywarp tomorrow at our local meet-up. I'll bring my Thundercracker so we can take a pic of them next to eachother.

19. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Makes me wish I lived in Arizona.

20. NICKBOT

News Credits:
    Actually it was a gift, not a commission. He's in "the circle of bro" now. :lol 
    If you can swing it, I'd say do it. I added the Takara Starscream onto another order from Toy Arena. I was buying a SHFigurearts Tiger & Bunny figure.