Transformers: Prime - Beast Hunters Deluxe-class Smokescreen

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by cybernaut, Feb 23, 2013.

1. cybernaut

cybernaut Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that you guys really like BH Smokescreen.

IMHO, while it's not bad, I think it's pretty much middle of the road. I suppose it's the combination of the uncovered back, thin construction, unwieldy feet and unstable arm kibble that sours my opinion of him.

That and the paint apps get scratched mighty easy...

jya na!

2. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I hear ya cybernaut... I got him the other day and think he's alright. Love the alt mode and dig the bot mode. But he's really nothing special, just a good PRIME figure IMHO. Most of the hype is probably due to the fact that for a time everyone thought that TakaraTomy's Knockout repaint was gonna be the only offical Smokescreen... then this came along outta nowhere!

Having said all that, I'm proud to throw him in with my PRIME Autobots. Nice figure.

3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dunno man. I really like tough, interesting transformations..and this one is riding the knife edge of impossible, yet still pulls it off.

Seriously...its one of the best looking cars I can remember in a long time.

My biggest gripe if the fake chest in car mode. Anyone have thiers drag the ground? other than that...its pretty exceptional. After I got some future in the joints, I alleviated the floppy limbs.

4. jametron

News Credits:
    My fake chest panel doesn't drag... closes up nicely against the body and leaves enough clearance to roll freely.

5. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    Finished painting his head earlier and just as I was putting it back on, a piece broke off from the transparent yellow part. :mad  The plastic's really thin there, so you might want to be careful with it.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had the same damn problem. Is there any way to safely remove and install his head?

7. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you have to push the legs up or something to get it to fold flush? The one I have the very outer most points of the chest, hit on the bottom of the sides of the car, Is it soppossed to tuck inside the side of the car or something?

8. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, you have to unscrew the back first. Do not simply pop off the head! If you don't unscrew it, that piece will crack or break. I learned the hard way as well, but with my second one, I unscrewed it and carefully pried the two pieces apart to remove the head.

9. jametron

News Credits:
    No. My "chest" panel also hits on the bottom of the sides of the car. But there appear to be a few grooves to allow for this. From what you're describing it sounds to be transformed correctly. The panel, as far as I can tell, isn't supposed to go inside of the car... not sure if that's even possible. Anyway, mine has the panel merely folded up as should be and still leaves a good 1/8" clearance. I took a few photos for you, but my skills at close up photography are hideous so they didn't turn out good at all.

Is your panel just loose and won't stay folded up?

10. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that's what it is...Mabye there is a burr in the hinge or the detent. Mabye ill return this one and grab a different one if I can't figure it out. Like...mine WON'T roll. The front wheels don't even turn. I'm pretty decent at troubleshooting and I can't find what it is.

Mabye I just got a bad one. Like I said, before I did a few future treatments the limbs were about as sloppy as a ball joint can get.

11. jametron

News Credits:
    Yeah maybe just a bad one... my joints are just fine. Not super tight, but not floppy. He stands and holds incredible poses without frustration!

12. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any more pics of this repaint?

13. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    I've only done the head so far, closetrat, here's a better pic of it.

[​IMG]

I'm not planning a major paintjob, just adding some details and leaving the stock paint apps. They're not accurate but I think I like em.

14. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    Did you check the white thigh panels that the chest piece folds up against? Remember, the legs have two points at which they swivel, partially at the hip balljoint and lower at the designed thigh swivel. The thigh panels have be flattened to form a flat surface to accommodate the chestplate. The waist area should also have an inwardly angled cavity to accommodate the pointed center of the chest.

The head could also be a drag point. The crest of his helmet was preventing mine from sitting flush on his wheels until I figured it out.

15. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That does so much for improving the look of the figure already - anyone figure out how to improve the range of motion in his head yet?

16. dirgestone

dirgestone Banned

Found him this morning the amount of arm kibble is epic! It really has me on the fence about keeping him at all. He looks good other wise. MUCH BETTER than the Knock-out repaint IMO but this arm kibble is really an eye sore for me

17. Noobicon

Noobicon Dinobot

News Credits:
    I was really excited to get him. He is a cool figure in car form at least. His robot mode is pretty much meh. But my son got a hold of him, so were keeping him I guess :)  On a scale of 1-10 I give him a solid 7.5

18. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

FINALLY got a Smokescreen from Target this morning, and he's even better in person than I thought he'd be. Arm kibble is purely aesthetic, with no inhibiting effects on functionality, articulation is solid (though mine is a bit floppy in places), the head sculpt is amazing in spite of the colour issues (he's got freaking moulded cheekbones!), and the transformation to his (also awesome) car mode wasn't nearly as hard as some people made it sound. Only issue seems to be that the paint on his car roof seems to scrape rather easily.

Totally a worthy purchase all around.

19. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    was he suppose to have come with 2 missles originally? the two slots on the sides of quill armor lead me to believe this was possible at one point

20. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, mine has paint scratching on the roof of the car as well... Perhaps one day I'll give it a new coat of paint. Would I need to use something special since it's painted over clear plastic? I don't want sticky paint like Classics Prowl :p 

Other than that I love this toy! Even with the head painted wrong and the arm kibble, it rules. This thing oozes character.