Transformers: Prime - Beast Hunters Deluxe-class Smokescreen

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by cybernaut, Feb 23, 2013.

1. cybernaut

cybernaut Well-Known Member

Transformers Prime: Beast Hunters Deluxe-class Smokescreen

[​IMG]

Smokescreen
    Allegiance: Autobot
    Function: Trickster (?)

Bio
    This Autobot trickster strikes quickly, then disappears behind a black puff of magnetic smoke.

Technical Data
    Strength: 5
    Intelligence: 8
    Speed: 8
    Endurance: 6
    Courage: 9
    Firepower: 7
    Skill: 8

Electronet Launcher
    - Generates a shadow field that makes Smokescreen very hard to see or target.
    - Delivers powerful Bio-Electric shocks to enemies.
    - Can also be used as an electrified axe.

Tales of the Beast Hunters Chapter 11

With Bumblebee injured and Bulkhead near total shutdown, it’s up to Smokescreen to discover where the new and dangerous Predacons are coming from. Luckily, the Autobot trickster is also a capable spy, and soon he finds himself creeping through the shadows of a remote Decepticon lab. At first, he thinks the place is abandoned. Then he discovers a room lined with large glass chambers, each one filled with a strange, murky liquid, and the vague outline of a beastly machine. Satisfied that he’s discovered exactly what Optimus Prime needs to know, he turns to leave, only to find Shockwave blocking his way. “You should not have come here,” the Decepticon scientist says, raising his laser cannon.

- Continued in Chapter 11 Voyager Shockwave

[​IMG]
    Tf: Prime Smokescreen, CGI render.

What, even the toy bios are now shortened to cut costs? :( 

Really, this reads like a generic description of any Autobot Smokescreen. Even his weapons have longer descriptions.

(ooooh!)Nice cliffhanger and segue into Beast Hunters Voyager Shockwave though…

Robot Mode

Smokescreen comes out of the card in bot mode. The likeness is good, at least compared to the Arms Micron version, but somehow, the toy looks less bulky compared to the screen render. He’s got the familiar door wings and the headsculpt better conveys Smokescreen’s carefree character than the serious mug of the Arms Micron version.

Unlike the Arms Micron version though, Smokescreen employs a panel with sculpting intended to emulate his car hood chest, while the actual car hood splits and folds up with the windshield and roof to form massive kibble pieces under his arms.

In hand, he feels thin and fragile, especially when you view him from the side. The robot back’s not especially nice to look at since there are no car bits except the door, giving him an unfinished feel, kinda like those Lego Bionicle or Hero Factory figures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, robot mode views.

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, arm kibble detail.

[​IMG]
    Smokescreen, leg detail.

Smokescreen has good articulation, though certain parts tend to obstruct movement depending on the position.

• Points of Articulation:
      • Neck: Ball-jointed neck, severely obstructed by facial details. Lateral movement only.
      • Arms: Shoulder pads on ball and socket joints, attached to individual struts. Ball-joint shoulders, with swivel joint above elbow. Soft-ratcheting elbows with a over 90 degree bend; no wrist or hand articulation.
      • Torso: Swivel waist joint, unrestricted movement.
      • Legs: Ball-jointed hips, thigh swivels, 90° hinged knees and ankles.

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, posed, showing Points of Articulation.

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, kick test…

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, robot mode, with Shadow Quill armor and Electronet launcher accessories.

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, robot mode, with Shadow Quill armor and Electronet launcher equipped.

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, robot mode size comparison with Tf: Prime R.I.D Voyager Optimus Prime.

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, robot mode size comparison with Tf: Generations Deluxe FoC Sideswipe.

Transformation

Clever but fiddly, and IMHO, too overly done for what it achieves. The leg transformation is pretty straightforward, standard fold and twist to form the rear. But shifting the chest assembly and wrapping the panels that unfold from the arm kibble around the internal assembly to form the car front is a panel-massaging exercise in frustration. There’s very little clearance and parts end up getting in the way of each other either way you go.

And after all that, Smokescreen still needs a sculpted panel to simulate his car hood chest in bot mode. :p 

Alternate Mode

Beast Hunter Smokescreen transforms into a sleek white sports car, quite different from the Arms Micron Smokescreen’s alt mode, which was the same as Tf: Prime Knockout’s, except with a new spoiler. It has the similar to the onscreen model, though somehow it doesn’t look as aggressive, as if some of the curves got smoothed out in the transition. The car mode is quite solid, assuming you’ve managed to massage the parts properly, and the hood and windshield pieces can prove troublesome. There also very little ground clearance, which results in plastic scraping on uneven surfaces.

Though not quite captured in the shots, the off-white plastic takes to the molded details quite well. The transparent purple windows and amber headlights are nice. There are some painted details but they just barely do the job of representing this as Smokescreen (at the very least, he’s got those screaming 38’s on the doors…). The rims are unpainted, so is the rear window and tail lights and the layout of red and blue paint apps are off compared to the actual on-screen model (the checkered flag motif on the doors, the blue on the spoilers…).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, alternate mode views.

The included accessories also come into play in vehicle mode. The huge rubber piece clips on the hood in some sort of mad-max style hood armor while the projectile launcher pegs onto a hole in the roof. It adds an aggressive touch to the alt mode, kinda like those RoadBlasters Matchbox released back in the 80’s.

Frankly, I find it underwhelming. Due to the parts being rubber, the hood armor part tends to warp and doesn’t quite lie smoothly against the curvy hood. Same goes for the rubber attachment on the missile, which tends to twist and droop in warm weather (which, in the Philippines, is most of the time… :p ) ,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, alternate mode, with Shadow Quill armor and Electronet launcher attached.

Unlike the earlier BH figures, which were remolded PRiD molds, Smokescreen’s car mode ends up on the small end of the spectrum. Small, flat and compact. Smokescreen’s really folded up tight in car mode, with little hollow space inside. He does still look decently sized when placed alongside PRiD Voyagers, who are also quite small themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smokescreen, alternate mode, size comparison with Tf: Prime R.I.D Voyager Optimus Prime.

Verdict

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it’s really great that Hasbro released a proper Smokescreen, but I can’t help but be underwhelmed by this release. It’s a decent, if average toy, nothing fancy. There’s good articulation and nice play value to be had and it LOOKS LIKE Smokescreen, not Knockout in a new paint scheme and a new head.

It’s too bad the use of lower quality materials brings the fun factor of the toy down noticeably, at least to me. The rubbery accessories don’t add much to the toy and present the possibility of degradation over time. The robot I’m not going to bitch about the plastic and the decreasing size of Transformers these days, but in Smokescreen’s case, these factors hurt the toy a lot, especially since he costs PhP 800 (almost $18) over here.

For fans of the show and those wanting to complete the main cast, he’s a sure purchase. As a stand-alone toy, however, it’s average. It’s definitely far from “Airachnid bad”, but there are probably better stand alone Beast Hunters toys.

[​IMG] [​IMG] and a half stars out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jya na!

2. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i always love reading your reviews :) 

looks like a nice toy, i might just pick him up.

3. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

He'll be gettng some major U-haul from me. Namely the knee spikes, hands, Crest & sideburn things

4. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Still looks pretty much perfect to me-- anything's better than a half-assed redeco! I'll probably be taking a brush to his head crest, though, at the very least. Maybe the spoiler too if I'm bored.

5. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Looks pretty decent, if a little undetailed. I'm sure Reprolabels will release a set for him for all of those details and new 38's for the doors. I'm not digging those hood halves on his arms though.

6. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

Excellent, excellent review. I'm also not feeling the door arms or trunk-lid feet, however, those are minor nitpicks compared to how good I think the figure looks overall.

7. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice review. The arm kibble is disappointing to me. Still nice to have a domestic release for collectors in the US.

8. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of the best pictorial reviewers does not let us down, once again. Excellent job. Very thorough...

I still want this one. Even though I know I will say "damn...I bought another cheap ass deluxe again.."

9. Diggeh

Diggeh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great review! I actually have more fun attaching the Shadow Quill armor to other PRID figures. Rumble and Hot Shot look pretty beefy with it on!

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to do a shit load of DIY paintwork if I buy this toy...ugh

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh...huh. I'm actually slightly more happy with the AM version now, at least in regards to 'bot mode.

I'm curious if Takara's version will get the red on the head right.

Good review though, definitely. It's good to know this heading in. I think I'll still get it (US or Takara, we'll see), at least to compare in-hand to the AM release to see which one I settle with...but yeah, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about it.

12. Gunshot

Gunshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got mine yesterday.
    The things I like about the Hasbro version - the shoulder pads and the placement of the door wings. (more accurate car mode too)
    The things I like about the Takara version - everything else.

[​IMG]

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Man, that pic is a perfect example of what a gigantic improvement the Hasbro version's mould is. Just needs better colours. (but then they all do) I can't believe TakTom simply remoulded a previous figure, and not even a good one, for a main show character.

14. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    oh yeah, does this guy have clip-on wheels?

15. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Great review!

Looks good except the humongous car hood parts on the arms. The rubber parts look pretty nice in both modes (except for that huge gun net thing).

I still don't plan on picking up any beast hunters figures though.

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Nice review. I'd seen a video review of him not that long ago that failed to point out just how awkward that arm kibble looks in some poses.

Still, I think I'll probably get it.

17. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I am just not seeing how people can say the Takara one is better. It just isn't, at all. The comparison in Gunshot's post just makes it clear; the Hasbro one is much better in every single way.

18. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    This coming from someone who loves Knockout's toy, but yeah it just doesn't work as Smokescreen.

19. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like Reprolabes.com will have some fun with this guy.

20. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I don't even collect TFP toys, but I watched a video review yesterday of this toy and it's really perfect. If you think the Takara one is better, you must be blind. Even I find it embarrassing to release a Knockout remold as Smokescreen.