Transformers Prime and the Original Follow-Up Series

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Lucas35, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I really wish they went with Thundertron and the pirates for season 3. It sounds like that would have been really cool. I didn't dislike the Predacon approach, but I've always thought it was cheap how they all get blown up except for 3 (two of which only appear in the final movie, as I recall). I get that it was for budget reasons, but if that was the case it might have been better not to tease a Predacon army at all.

3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

Did you watch a different series? They didn't all blow up except for three as you put it. The entire race was extinct and the three that we see are clones Shockwave made. It's never really explained how they went extinct so I don't know where you got the idea they all exploded or why you thought the clones were survivors of that event.

4. OneTrueZ

OneTrueZ New Member

Hmmm so does that mean originally the decepticons were gonna control earth for way longer than they did?Would optimus have stayed on earth longer while everyone else went offworld?interesting

Also shame about them dropping the pirate concept,it wouldve been fun to see more cybertronians react to Optimus destroying the omega lock,I feel his "death" and resurrection overshadowed how shocked/angry most of the cast was at that action

5. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    It's been a while since I've seen that season, but wasn't the idea that Shockwave was going to clone a Predacon army? He had all the cloning tanks in his laboratory. Then they all got blow up an an explosion (except Predaking...I don't remember if he was a clone or an original Predacon).

6. SaberPrime

Predaking was a clone though it's kinda hinted that he may of had memories of the original Predaking. I mean he calls himself Predaking despite there being no other Predacons for him to be the king of. Though he doesn't seem to remember how they all died.

Anyway... they other clones weren't destroyed. The reason there were so few of them is because the cloning process took a long time and Predaking was the only one who was fully developed. The other two came later in Predacons Rising and there was presumably more still gestating in Shockwave's lab.

Transformers Go focused more on the Predacons as the main bad guys. I think there was yet another Predaking clone or maybe that was the same one. Though I don't know how Optimus came back from the dead as a Train/Dragon triple changer.I really like that design though and the Predacons so I kinda wish we got that series in the US it looks better than RID2015... at least in terms of character designs and toys. Don't know about the story.

7. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I looked it up on TFWiki, there was an episode where Ultra Magnus and Wheeljack find Shockwave's cloning lab and blow it up. That was what I was referring to.

8. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

If you are referring to the original predacons, they went extinct in the Age of Evolution during the Cataclysm (rogue star passing too close to the planet, forced all life to either hide underground or die). Source: Covenant of Primus.

Agreed. I, in particular, felt Ratchet's reaction to it should have had more of an effect. His lines in the scene sounded very 'Decepticonish' to me: he had come off completely willing to sacrifice all of Earth to revive Cybertron...not an Autobot thing to do. Yet no one batted an optic to it even in the few seconds they had before things went to further slag.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

No complaints here. I love the Beast Hunters season. In fact, I'd say it's my favorite of the three seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SaberPrime

I would take the covenant with a grain of salt. It also depicts a similar ending to that of Prime but there are different characters present as Optimus sacrifices himself to the well and some characters who are in both versions look very different. There can't be two different versions of the exact same event if they're suppose to be in the same continuity.

The events leading up to Orion Pax becoming Optimus Prime seem slightly different as well...

The biggest issue seems to be that Orion Pax doesn't remember ever being one of the original 13 Primes. We see him loose his memories again during Prime but even when he is Optimus Prime he doesn't seem to be aware of being one of the original Primes, only the events that followed his getting the Matrix. The Covenant makes it pretty clear that the Thirteenth Prime is Optimus but this isn't even hinted at in Prime.

There are some very similar events even if minor details seem to be different so we could assume a loose connection between the two... but I have a hard time accepting it fully as the shows writers likely weren't even aware of the Covenant while working on the show.

11. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    It's unknown if the Cons would have occupied Earth longer but I recall plans for Fowler to become a cyborg and the Autobots would have been stranded on Cybertron for a while. The latter idea was going to be a western approach. Imagine bandits, noon shoot outs, train robberies and other western ideas but on Cybertron. We also would have seen Maximals as well but no details as to what they would have been.

Im curious about that Predaking (the combiner) repaint. If it was anything like the Seacons exclusives I would be interested to see more.

12. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

Left hand not knowing right hand....

And to be fair, that seems to be the case with just about every other continuity when it comes to contradictions within itself (and, as an aside, the bit where OP loses his memory didn't make sense to me at all. And that he didn't remember what he did during his brief time as a Con made even less sense!). Not that I am saying it is excusable...though admittedly it is very hard to prevent. Especially when there's many chef's in the kitchen, so to speak.

I'll be honest that when I got the Covenant I was expecting it to be something of an encyclopedia centered on the Aligned continuity...not, essentially, a history book written from (mostly) Alpha Trion's PoV.

13. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    Lads, Lads. Iron Magnus. We would have had Iron(hide) Magnus

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    It sounds like a lot of cool stuff was pitched internally. I'm curious how far along ideas like "The Last Transformers" made it. I'm guessing it was just them tossing around ideas.

It's interesting to hear that no sequel was planned for Fall of Cybertron. I always assumed it was supposed to be a cliffhanger ending. I wish someone had asked if WFC/FOC are still considered part of the Aligned universe. I honestly kind of wish they'd consider them part of G1, not Aligned.

15. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    I think Aligned at this point isn't an actual continuity but the "story" (or timeline) of an updated G1. Most of Aligned's content and ideas are based on the G1 story but with additional elements from other continuities (colonies, the arms micron weapons, exodus, quintessons and so on).

• Like Like x 2
  16. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I would agree with that for the most part. But I'd also argue that a defining characteristic of Aligned is the design aesthetic. There was a little variation between media, but for the most part it all kept a similar look. Somewhere between Animated and the Movieverse, with some G1 traits thrown in. There are certain things like the noseless faces, the athletic builds, and the stylized, angular panels that are present in most of the Aligned designs. Just compare the designs of any given character (say Bumblebee) from Prime, RID, and Universe (the cancelled game), and you'll see that they fit well together.

My problem with the Cybertron games being part of Aligned is that the design aesthetic is clearly G1-based. There's not much inspiration from other media. Visually, they fit better with something like IDW than any of the Aligned stories. The robots are stout and blocky, have noses, and aren't overly stylized. Some characters (like Soundwave) look completely different. Obviously the games don't fit well with the G1 cartoon, but I think they'd be more at home existing in that "continuity family".

Also, I'd argue there's a slight conflict of creative visions. Aligned was about modernizing Transformers and forging a new creative path. The Cybertron games were a clear throwback to something the creators were nostalgic for. Sure there's a fair amount of G1 inspiration in Prime, but it's not a direct throwback by any means.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    Yeah. That's pretty much the case. Both Prime and HMS wanted to do their own thing but Hasbro forced the two to have ties which caused issues.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Poetic Predacon, Deadpan Decepticon

I'm more concerned with how good a product or story is on its own than I am with how well it connects to a sprawling universe/timeline.

The Cybertron games are great. Prime is great. RID is great. They've all got their own strengths and weaknesses, but its all good Transformers for my daily robot fix.

Plus in real life, there are conflicting narratives for the same "historical events" so I can appreciate the "squint and it fits" connection between the games and Prime/RID for that reason, plus enjoy them each on their own.

RID never actually contradicts Prime anyway. It shapes up to a worthy sequel later on in the story also what with Optimus' legacy being attacked and the council enlisting Soundwave to reconnect with Megatron and reestablish the Decepticon Empire. Oh yeah and they managed to put a really good cap on Starscreams character arc too.

and RID has the best Bumblebee to date. Very much a comprise between G1 and Bayverse in personality and design. Plus WILL FRIEDLE VOICE OF TERRY MCGINNIS delivers a great performance as the guy. Might as well have called it Bumblebee: Beyond. He's a definitive Bumblebee like Peter Cullen to Optimus, Steve Blum to Starscream, etc.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Reallly hope we can see some of those Last Transformers concepts revived for future TF series like with the female Decepticon leader.

20. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Active Member

I wish they'd revive such concepts for a potential follow up to RiD2015.

I also heard about them doing a shared universe with Unit:E and reboots of other Habsro properties such as Inhumanoids, MASK, Micronauts, Stretch Armstrong, Action Man, etc.

I believe they eventually realised this shared universe with the IDW comics.