Transformers: PG-13 Animated Movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Aeronnz, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Aeronnz

Aeronnz Back in action!

With Hasbro's recent news about having their new Transformers show take inspiration from the Rescue Bots cartoon, it seems that many TFW2005 members are split over the decision. While older fans with children appreciate a show with a lighter tone, other people say that Hasbro had the right idea with Prime, (even if it wasn't always executed perfectly,) and say that Hasbro should focus on pleasing older fans more.

While reading these responses, I came up with an idea that a handful of other members agreed with:

Just bear with me here. See, DC comics has three approaches with the visual media they put out. There are the more kid-friendly cartoon shows, the PG-13 animated movies, and then the Hollywood films. Why doesn't Hasbro do this with Transformers? We already have two of the three, and adding this new approach would allow younger kids to have a lighter toned intro into the franchise with the new cartoon, and Hasbro wouldn't need to focus on catering to the older fans, since they would be occupied with the more mature films.

Also, if the animated movies ever did poorly, it wouldn't be too much of an issue, because you wouldn't have an entire TV series tied to it. I feel it is because of that, that Hasbro sometimes is afraid to take chances with new shows. Finally, I would really love to see these animated movies be part of a larger aligned continuity, like Hasbro has always spoken of. Here's a reply edgs2099 made to my comment:

First thing I thought of when reading this was a Transformer: Shattered Glass animated film, but hey, one can only dream. Anyway, what do you lovely people think? Are you on board with this idea? Let me know what you think! :) 

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    because this fandom is probably one of the most bitchiest of them all and 1.wouldn't support it financially and 2. would just hate them anyway

and the words shattered glass animated film made me want to puke

3. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I love the idea, and I'd follow what DC does, and adapt popular comic book stories. Last Stand of the Wreckers, All hail megatron, Infestation, Furman's "ation" series.

hell the spotlight books could be done "Batman: Gotham Knight" style, with different animation styles

and it'd be a great way to tie Generations into media.

btw Nathan Fillion as Springer, John Dimaggio as Whirl, Simon Templeman as Nova Prime.

4. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh man that'd be awesome (except the part about Shattered Glass film)

Oh and Patrick Warburton as Thunderclash.

5. Aeronnz

Aeronnz Back in action!

Haha, I guess that's your opinion. Thanks for being so nice about it.

Also, keep in mind that the DC animated films are released on DVD in stores, and not on television. So, people have to buy them to get them... Which means that it could very well make a profit.

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    this fandom throws a fit when deluxes go up 2 dollars, there's no way they'll buy the dvds

7. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Change is scary....unless it's from car to bot.

8. TFGrace13

TFGrace13 Tu fui, ego eris.

Lovely idea, but unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world, and this will likely never happen. Though it would be amazing indeed to see an animated movie of LSOTW. I guess it's fun to dream.

9. Aeronnz

Aeronnz Back in action!

Sure, we throw fits. But do we still buy them? Most definitely. ;) 

10. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

only if.

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    If the fandom was all blind hatred and petty cheapness, we wouldn't have MPs or the current comics or Botcon or Generations or...

I'd love to see any kind of one-shot animated movies featuring anyone but the obvious bots. Don't really care if it's PG-13 or not. Dunno how likely it is, though, and looking at how... cheap a lot of the Hub's original cartoons are, it seems like a pipe dream at this point.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's a little different than Marvel and DC in that Hasbro isn't explicitly attached to a media production arm, they have to outsource out that kind of thing. However, now that they have the hub and the various connections made through that, maybe direct-to-dvd and 'tv movies' of their various properties will be even more attractive a concept.

13. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I actually think this could be pretty neat. It could allow already finished series to tie up loose ends, or allow what was prior a one-off episode to be further expanded (There's lots I'd love to see from BW and Animated, and a couple from the Unicron Trilogy).

It likely won't be as successful a venture as it is for DC, but I'd be willing to support it.

14. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

They've kinda done it before, too. G.I. Joe Resolute was originally shorts, but then released as a 60min movie, and that had a decidedly more mature tone. I'd love to see this applied to Transformers.

15. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Would love them to have the guts to try. DC are trailing Marvel on the feature film front but I do like their directly made cartoons like the GL ones - way better than the crappy movie.

That seem to ring a bell here.

So heck yeah, a Resolute+ on say the Wreckers would be something I could get behind.

16. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am not sure. I will wait for the series come out. I like the fact the children age appropiate but as long as it is intelligent.

17. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

If anyone watched the DVDs for Prime, a LOT of the commentary consisted of "Wow, I can't believe we got away with this in a kid's show."

And to be honest, it is a bit of a surprise considering who TFP was targeted at, compared to the content of the show.

In this day and age, with Moral Guardians watching everything with eagle eyes, it's financially risky for anything targeted at kids to tip-toe the line when it comes to age-appropriate content. Prime managed to do it quite well if you ask me, but I don't blame them for wanting to play it a little safer the next time.

I think if it could be proven to Hasbro that it'd be financially feasible to target the older audiences who read the comics, they could be motivated to finance a show for them. But then we're just talking hypotheticals here anyway.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'd be up for it, assuming it will be done in the same manner and style as the DC Animated Original films. I absolutely love those films.

Also I would love a Shattered Glass film. Haters gonna Hate.

19. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

Seriously. Why all the hate for SG anyway? I mean I could understand if the toys have been done to death, but the concept is solid as a story.

20. Aeronnz

Aeronnz Back in action!

Yeah, if done right, it could make a very interesting and unique story...