Transformers Packaging Changes Fall 2024

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Mar 19, 2024.

1. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    We like to think that would be the case, but knowing corporations I wouldn't say with any certainty it's exactly what caused it. Corporations are inscrutable and often crazy, or dumb decisions are made without any seeming logic behind it. I mean, sure it COULD be. but I've said time and time again our individual experiences and sightings are anecdotal at best and do not establish a trend. Here in Portland? I can count may be just one Target and one Walmart where lost heads are an issue. Those stores could be considered "bad parts of town" and often have more issues than just open packages. Such as opened and stolen Hot Wheels or opened boxes. I've seen this stuff at these locations long before open boxes were an issue.

Basically if your area is a "problem area" then you'd see opened and damaged toys long before these open boxes were a thing. Meanwhile in Targets and Walmarts in more "upscale" areas you may see one or two stolen heads every few months. Generally trouble like that doesn't hit these stores. Also these are just my experiences and I wouldn't begin, intellectually, to claim that this is the standard. OF COURSE there's going to be variation, but I highly doubt corporations like Walmart and Target see lost sales from headless toys as any significant enough loss to call for windowed boxes again.

Just use your head, people. Corporations are big and quite often pretty mysterious in their thinking. There aren't the same common folk thought processes going on up in those heads.

2. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see the change, i don't think plasticless packaging is necessarily bad but hasbro just didn't really find a solid solution and open windows without any kind of flap or panel just suck. from an environmental standpoint would the effect mainly be emissions? because i feel like this much demand for plastic packaging wouldn't be coming from people who just throw it away.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cybeast

cybeast Freelancer Pun Maker

News Credits:
    Completely sealed boxes is problematic in its own way, like how do you expect to see any paint problem, or even if all the parts are inside before buying it?

Though yes, still way better than open window packaging.

No, it's not "GREED ALWAYS TRIUMPH OVER DOING THE RIGHT THING", it's more that Hasbro itself not doing it to their other line, and in fact, even joining project in Funko NFT that people calls out.

And if you say "no point if no one else going to do the same"?

You literally just contradict yourself because you just said:

"If anyone tries to do something to help the situation, it's labelled as "virtue signalling" by those that oppose it, because they fail to see that if such behavior is applauded, it should encourage others to do the right thing."

Like why would you care there'll be more that stays on the shelves if you're set on doing the right thing? o_O 

Maybe stop buying yourselves because, like BbJazz said, the small positive is absolutely worth the negative o_O 

• Like Like x 4
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    At the very least I'm hoping the box art / style is on a similar level to the Legacy ones, because those boxes visually looked REALLY good.

Also bring back tech specs / bios.

• Like Like x 5
  5. johnny48

johnny48 Shockwave’s biggest simp

It’s also a problem with online retailers. I saw a Reddit post where someone got a box of rocks instead of an Extremis Iron Man from Amazon.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SG Unicron

SG Unicron Well-Known Member

AND make them longer than a sentence! 5 or 6 at minimum!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    For real? No x-rays as a security features for packages?

8. SG Unicron

SG Unicron Well-Known Member

That luxury is exclusive to Jeff Besos. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  9. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    You win.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Endowed Member

Honestly threads like this one really wreck my sense of community in Transformers. Toy packaging is such a small thing and people aren't even willing to compromise on that. Like you said, it's greed and selfishness and no amount of whataboutisms is going to change that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  11. cybeast

News Credits:
    Why would people be willing to compromise something that really make it problematic? Loss of parts, bots outright stolen, etc?

Like, why would they compromise with what literally makes buying toy a risky thing?

You said it yourself, that Toy Packaging is such a small thing, and yet you are so adamant that they went plastic-less packaging (with all the problem, mind you) because... such small things (in your own word) apparently... has lot of impact? Nevermind that what they should do is making less of those shitty Titan Changer and gimmicky toys because that evidently uses lot more plastic than a "small thing" in the packaging.

But sure, apparently people who doesn't want their toys to get part lost or stolen is selfish.

This is not about "the company can take such a loss if people skip a purchase", this is about me, or any customer not wanting parts to get lost when we're buying said toys.

But apparently again, we're the selfish one for wanting complete toys :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 7
  12. BBJazz

Your points mean absolutely nothing without any actual data on how many toys had lost or stolen parts.

13. cybeast

News Credits:
    And your point also mean absolutely nothing without any actual data on how this plasticless packaging helps being enviromentally friendly, vs the risk of parts being stolen and bot being disposed outright thanks to missing part making it not being sold.

• Like Like x 5
  14. BBJazz

I'm not going to put a link here because that'll get removed and I don't want to give the mods more trouble, but it's VERY easy to find data on biodegradeable vs single use plastic packaging. My points can be proven by 10 seconds on Google.

You're the one supposing that lost/stolen toys getting thrown out is causing a greater environmental impact than plastic packaging. That's an unsupported claim, which YOU need to prove.

If you can't prove your points, then they have no value.

15. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    How is that any different then buying a toy online?

That's why I said it should be done across the board. As far as I know, they did it for TFs, ML, GI Joe, and D&D. Not sure what else. I'm not sure where the NFT thing fits in here? Aren't those not even physical objects?

Because it's not making any difference in the end. Hasbro will still make the same amount of toys and there will be no change between if I bought that toy or didn't. The only way stopping collecting would have any impact whatsoever is if a large portion of the fandom(s) decided to do the same. I'm under no delusions that that would ever happen, though. It won't. We live in a wasteful society, full stop. Only way that will ever change is with the extinction of the human race.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Hasbro corporate managed to pull off a couple of things:
    • Convince some of their competitors in the action figure aisle to abandon plastic on packaging
    • Return to using plastic on packaging before said competitors did and allegedly using a more recyclable plastic to do so(don’t remember where but I remember reading this for Marvel Legends late last year)
    • Convince customers that they care about the environment(easily proven by this thread)
    • Responded to retailer complaints of lost sales due to various issues such as missing parts, swapped toys, whatever you can anecdotally see but also pisses retailers off because now they have to send the product back to Hasbro, refund the customer or whatever else that at the end of the day causes them to miss out on sales. There’s been some reports of orders of windowless hasbro products received from online(because oh yea people order online so it doesn’t matter what you see in stores right?) stores where what they received in box wasn’t the toy shown on the box. I remember someone buying a windowless Classified Snake Eyes last year only to find out the only thing inside was just a bottle of hot sauce. Also any of you that worked a job at retail that required customer service on your part knows that customer complaints can range from rational to delusional. What you hear about on the boards isn’t the least of it and the retailers that complained(after getting aired out by customers) to Hasbro probably heard some crazy shit. They were probably sick of it and if bringing back plastic windows was the least Hasbro could do to satisfy retailer(and in turn customer complaints) while doing something their competitors aren’t doing then it’s 2-3 birds with 1 stone for them.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BBJazz

You're about 95% on the money here, but to answer the NFT thing, the block chain servers actually have a crazy carbon footprint, even though they're not physical products.

Hasbro never actually cared about the environment, but that doesn't mean we should discourage the environmental moves that they did make, even if they weren't for the right reasons.

• Like Like x 4
  18. cybeast

News Credits:
    So you have the data of being plasticless packaging vs the risk of toys being stolen and/or parts being lost? :eek: 

Because I admit I don't have any data aside from my own experience seeing in brick and mortar toy store.

I thought we're talking about brick and mortar store?

Because they're the least enviromental friendly thing you do if you care about the environment?

If you're set to do the right thing, then do it, don't make excuse about "it's not making any difference in the end!", I can say that Hasbro going plasticless packaging also "not making any difference in the end".

Oh, there'll be change of course, no matter how small it is, I mean that's the point of some user here? That no matter how small it is, a positive is still positive.

So do it, don't buy any TF toys so you can do the right thing :D 

• Like Like x 3
  19. BBJazz

No, I don't have that data. I don't think anyone has that data. I'm also not the one drawing that comparison. What I do have data on is the environmental impact of plastic packaging vs biodegradeable packaging.

And I'm sorry, but you can't expect me to change my mind off a complete unknown factor you freely admit you don't have evidence for.

• Like Like x 1
  20. cybeast

News Credits:
    I said I don't have the data, not evidence. I do have evidence from my own experience, but like we agreed before, it's all anedoctal. It might not happening in your local store (good for you).

However, the fact that Hasbro is going to change their packaging again most likely means that the number is high enough that it forces them to do something, lol.

• Like Like x 3