Transformers Packaging Changes Fall 2024

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Mar 19, 2024.

1. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Endowed Member

Well no, Hasbro doesn't care about the environment. They just want to make money. Regardless of their intentions if the result is positive, I still think it should be encouraged.

We can call them hypocrites all day long and that's totally true but that still doesn't help the problem. Not sure if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 2
  2. cybeast

cybeast Freelancer Pun Maker

News Credits:
    But the result is not positive? Increased loss of parts, parts falling out on shipment, increased loss of bots, etc?

Arguably things like those cough Titan Changer cough or gimmicky toys are more of enviromental waste than a little plastic window, especially by how hard it shelfwarmed and probably will get disposed by the store anyway.

So yeah, they're hypocrites and just want easy money while also trying to look good by being "enviromental friendly" BS excuse when they can go biodegradeable plastic window.

• Like Like x 6
  3. BBJazz

I think the negatives you listed are worth it for a lower environmental impact, regardless of Hasbro's true intentions. That's really the crux of my argument.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cybeast

News Credits:
    And my point is, IT IS NOT.

How about reducing the production of those shitty Titan Changer instead? Arguably those things caused higher enviromental impact, but no one seemed to want to discuss this.

We can talk about anedoctal evidence all the day and how it would or would not impact the environment, but what I saw is just increased loss of part on local brick and mortar ever since they introduce the windowless packaging. That also, arguably lead to higher enviromental impact because unsold toys aren't getting recycled but disposed instead.

If you really think it is worth it, then fine, but you don't get to call people selfish because they want their toys to be intact and/or able to inspect before opening said toys.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

Let's not fool ourselves. Collecting of Transformers in and of itself is bad for the environment. How much plastic is used to create the toys themselves? How bad for the environment is the manufacturing of the plastic that these figures are made from? What about the environmental impact from the factories themselves? What about the impact from shipping the toys from the manufacturers to here? The impact to ship them across country? The impact from the unwanted/unsellable characters that sit on the shelf for 3 years and are ultimately trashed? And ofcourse, what has been the impact of 40 years of kids' mothers tossing their toys into the trash when they decide to declutter?

I have accepted that my Transformers collecting has been part of destroying the environment. However, nothing from my collection will get trashed until they are pried from my cold dead hand.

• Like Like x 10
  6. BBJazz

Yeah, I don't know how to explain to someone that a positive enviromental impact, even a small one, is worth an alleged profit loss for a company none of us are even part of. And that it's also worth the rare collector who usually buys their toys online anyways having to pass on a specific toy at retail.

I'm just gonna quote you here: "We can talk about anedoctal evidence all the day and how it would or would not impact the environment, but what I saw is just increased loss of part on local brick and mortar ever since they introduce the windowless packaging."

You dismiss anecdotes literally in the same sentence you provide your own anecdote.

I'm out.

• Like Like x 5
  7. cybeast

News Credits:
    And the fact is using biodegradeable Plastic is still enviromental friendly and have positive enviromental impact :rolleyes: 

And to be honest, I don't think those "Even a small one" matters, like, reducing 0.5% plastic usage but increasing 10% plastic waste (figure no one want because of part loss, shitty gimmicky toys, etc)? Yeah no.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    It won't: as long as the biggest contributors to pollution keep going at their regular pace anything we do will largely be inconsequential. Besides this whole 'windowless packaging' thing was always just some ESG / Bridge grift.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    Plastic window on kids toy packaging

Vs

Plastic sleeve / bag / msc packaging for most food items

00 Face it, we're doomed.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Peaceful Soldier

Peaceful Soldier All Hail Megatron

News Credits:
    Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if they did completely closed boxes like the Leaders used to be. But thank god the open boxes are gone

• Like Like x 6
  11. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Which is what I said they should have done...

...and in completely closed and sealed boxes to prevent this very thing.

Literally discussed further up on this page, my dude.

Ultimately the problem at the very heart here is that greed and selfishness will always trump doing the right thing. If anyone tries to do something to help the situation, it's labelled as "virtue signalling" by those that oppose it, because they fail to see that if such behavior is applauded, it should encourage others to do the right thing. If I had the choice, I'd give up collecting if it meant ensuring a healthy planet, but I'm apparently one of the few. And before I get the "well, then stop collecting!" replies, there's no point if no one else is going to do the same. Hasbro will still produce the same number of toys, there will just be one more that stays on shelves.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  12. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sensitive topic to be sure, however I'm happy for the change.

I would have been well okay with closed full art boxes, however the open boxes? They were terrible. Just a shame this change wasn't made before Beachcomber was released. Maybe if we get a shattered glass, G2 or golden lagoon Beachcomber, he'll be secure.

I like to think as an MISB collector, my wastage in this department is less than someone who rips it open and throws out the packaging, but I know that's not entirely true, it's all going to end up in landfill, just a matter of 10 days vs 10 decades. At least I'm conscious of plastic use in other areas.

• Like Like x 3
  13. johnny48

johnny48 Shockwave’s biggest simp

Marvel Legends fans wouldn’t have been. If you bought three at a big-box retailer it was almost guaranteed one of them got swapped.

• Like Like x 3
  14. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    upload_2024-3-20_20-49-36.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Got Well Soon

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 12
  16. Peaceful Soldier

Peaceful Soldier All Hail Megatron

News Credits:
    Those of you crying over these small plastic windows, I bet you all, in your personal lives, don't give a shit and throw single use plastics away, but now that a big company like Hasbro decides to upgrade their products with these, you've come out of your little hidey-hole to complain.

• Like Like x 4
  17. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ?luckily? I don't purchase my stuff from brick and mortar retailers.

18. SG Unicron

SG Unicron Well-Known Member

Np man! And I hope we do get some more redos too!
    ... Except Jazz. He doesn't change very much from G1. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  19. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

For all your counterarguments, apparently retailers (who are driving this remember) saw problem(s) that you don’t with the open packaging. There must be some reason they didn’t like them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 7
  20. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    It's easy to win arguments when you just make up assumptions to satisfy yourself before anyone can even respond to you!

• Like Like x 4