Customs: Transformers out of diecast vehicles.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Berser Car, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Berser Car

Berser Car Cryptid member

Tumblr:
    I have a couple ideas that involve reshelling some transformers figures using diecast cars like those made by Jada. Surely I'm not the first who has wanted to try.

Challenges that I expect out of this, that come to my mind are

-Cutting: Of course its harder than plastic and one will need the correct tools to do this.
    -Glueing: Glueing metal and plastic surely is not as easy as plastic to plastic. May need to find the correct glue. Screws will surely be involved.
    -Weight: The joints of most figures were not made for the extra weight of the metal car shell. Articulation will need to be reinforced or replaced for stronger ones.

I want to know what else I can expect from this.

(The toys pictured in the photo are not neccesarily part of a future project of mine, but if anyone is interested in doing it, deluxe Barricade and the Jada Rally Fighter are the same length, width and the wheels are at the same distance of one another)
    IMG-20201227-WA0050.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reaper6

Reaper6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't think I've seen someone attempt a reshell using a diecast car. I figure Takara failing to balance diecast altmodes with plastic joints and the difficulty of working with the material put off anyone who thinks to try.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

In the radicon tutorial section there is a guide about making MP figures that might be helpful. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

For adhesive: Devcon Plastic Welder will adhere plastic to metal. I've used it for MP-01 Optimus Prime; it's a strong bond that won't easily break and isn't brittle like epoxy. You could also use Gorilla Glue in parts as well.

• Like Like x 1