Transformers: One Animated Movie - 1st Trailer Launch Video

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Ingestor

Ingestor Well-Known Member

It can be viewed as such especially due to how transformers uses it but it really shouldn't be.
    Basically any form of long form continuity TF has this issue, but its inherently a case of grouping stuff for the sake of it. Stuff like unicron trilogy and aligned refused to mesh but we still are told to call them a continuity.
    A true continuity is a story that is linked via consistency and intent; a lot of TF calls a universe a continuity despite that making about zero sense. Galaxy Force didn't care to link to superlink and Prime didn't care to align.

Not saying the continuity point is wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where are said leaks?
    Weird if he is Darkwing since he has a faceplate and has G2 Dreadwing colors, plus... no wings?

• Like Like x 1
  3. sixthrowshot

sixthrowshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just going to air my thoughts out, here, because I absolutely will be actively avoiding the Discourse, throughout the rest of the year:
    • I'm honestly intrigued by how, "normal," and, "properly," youthful the characters appear to be, especially Megatron; most of the past iterations tended to portray him as already being a severe, larger-than-life figure, even when he's supposedly still friends with Orion Pax, that I rarely felt a real sense of dissonance, between his, "evil leader," persona, and his humble, past self. Here, though, all of them comprehensively act and feel like everyday civilians - friends, even - living in a more sociable landscape that actually feels distanced from the war, and I think that's an interesting angle (even if it's also directly tied to the lighthearted, and, "casual," tone that people are actively rallying against). If the movie pulls it off, then Megatron's separation from his friends, as well as the corruption of his tangibly personable, affable nature will feel brutal; though, of course, if it doesn't, then the shift may just feel like it came out of nowhere.
    • Keegan-Michael Key 100% was cast by somebody who saw him getting the role of Toad, in The Super Mario Bros. Movie.
    That's the crucial thing - I think Brian's voice fits D-16's character design perfectly, and...well, that means the casting's worked. I'd say it also feels deliberately directed to sound younger, though, because we know that he's got a killer baritone, through his performance as Jefferson Davis; ultimately, it'd still depend on what kind of Megatron he'll become, in this movie, but I think him gradually changing the tone of his voice might just be a given.

And...that's it? It's such a simple, harmless-looking film, that I really can't muster a strong emotion, any either way, even if I try. I guess, the thing is, a lot of people still perceive feature-length, blockbuster movies as the primary form of media, that every single theatrical release is pre-emptively put on a pedestal to be the be-all-end-all that defines the very soul of the franchise, and/or Transformers fans are this starving, for a new Transformers content. But...I don't know, you guys. It's just a Transformers media. It doesn't cancel out other pieces of media that you liked, nor is it ever obliged to resemble any of them. This is just what they're doing, this time around; if it doesn't work, then we'll move past it, but its existence is still valid, because it at least tried something.

It's wild, to me, that the discussions have been semi-dominated by the attempt to, "objectively," figure out, "Who this movie is targeted toward," or, "What kind of tone this movie has," because, like...you can just like, or not like things, regardless of what boxes it check, y'know? You can be such a mature, big boy, die hard fan, and still like this; you can be a younger audience, and not connect with it.

I don't really have a conclusion to neatly wrap this whole thing with; I'm just so over the Online Fandom Strong Reactions cycle, I guess, and think we all need to be more normal about these things. It's reached the point where we can't even have a proper discussion regarding the movie's celebrity stunt casting, because it's always offset by the loud outcry of nerds who seem to genuinely believe that Peter Cullen is the only voice actor who has ever voiced - and, is allowed to voice - Optimus Prime, supplemented with a barrage of misinformation that covers every angle, and it's just numbing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 12
  4. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I seen the trailer a few times and I really don't recall seeing Hound, Brawn or Jazz there. And is the Fallen the big Con insignia helmet??? Where does this guy get this info? Is the Prime Predacon looking dead body Onyx Prime, really?

I dunno how family-friendly is it when Bee is cutting people's heads in half left and right... Or are the "Vehicons" not really alive?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ingestor

G2 Dreadwing colors? You do realize his color scheme is mostly like darkwing right?
    The main "Dreadwing" feature are the shoulder pads and mask but its more darkwing. It is a fusion though.
    Darkwing comparison.png

• Like Like x 3
  6. Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore Likes Transformers toys that don't transform

News Credits:
    I agree with most of what you say. I don't think canon is quite such an imaginary construct, but like you, I'd see things on the Wiki that make me roll my eyes, like the Starscream from Prime and the High Moon games being the same character, or Onslaught the ROTF toy being the same character as the guy from TLK, etc.

But I think you're right. As bad as the non-anwers are, they stem from dumb questions. The only sensible answer to an interviewer asking "Is this a canon prequel to the '07 movie?" is "Look at it, you jerkoff, what the hell do you think."

(Which is why I'm not in a client-facing position at my company)

• Like Like x 7
  7. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Excessively Angry Decepticon

I've always been confused by the reactions to those movies. So many people, even older folks who would've seen countless movies throughout the decades, talking about it's comedy as if it was super original. That's not to say none of it was good or that it was all derivative, but it wasn't that new and different. Heck, people were reacting to jokes in Vol 2 that were just variations on jokes from the first as if they were completely new. The internet is just baffling sometimes... Well, most of the time, honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    i dont understand the point of this metric, what is the argument here?

No bruh. Theres criticism and theres waffling on with no perspective as to what this movie is trying to do. Its a kids film aimed at preteens trying to retell an origin story which, despite what fans may think, is not really delved into, besides maybe idw and g1. There are a lot of new details here that make this story different than other retellings too

Youve brought up “oh more of the same, why dont we get x character origin or y character story” You need to understand that transformers is not a healthy franchise. It needs more financial bangers before producers can think about exploring deeper niches. What youre asking for is the equivalent of starting a dc cinematic universe with plastic man.

Also most of the target audience were born after tfp, which is basically the last time we got the orion pax story, so naturally theyre gonna rehash a story that older generations may recognize but newer ones wont.

There are valid criticisms to be made here, whatever youve said so far dont really fall into that category

he reminds me more of a jazz or sideswipe type of voice personally. I cant criticize without hearing it all the way. Many many people were dubious of chris hemsworth as op, but im so far liking it

This was something that j was thinking about too. While i personally prefer that, where megatron is sort of a hero op looks up too, i think having then grow alongside each other in different directions is also a cool new perspective we are getting. As of rn i dont rlly like it but ill see the movie before i finalize my judgement

do we k iw for a fact theyre vehicons? People keep saying that. I only know the tfp versions not the bm ones but id say these guys are just quint drones from what i can tell

• Like Like x 1
  9. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ingestor

Same face, though honestly i think these guys look more like the armada ps2 drones. I'd say they'd surely be called vehicons though. We can see them when the quints are invading so they're probably just transformers and not drones.
    Vehicon.jpeg
    Yeah was meaning to get G1 but got lazy, regardless thats probably why he has no wings. His G1 design tucks them away.

In general G2 Dreadwing and Darkwing are very close designs so merging them isn't that wacky.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SillyMcGilly

SillyMcGilly Well-Known Member

BAYHEM IS NOW OFFICIAL LOL

IMG_1084.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  12. Nako

Nako Well-Known Member

I already know I'm going to enjoy it, I just hope kids see it and enjoy it. Even if it bombs I don't care, I'm 44 and still getting Transformer Toys I've dreamed about for decades. I really have nothing to complain about.

• Like Like x 4
  13. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I wonder if the name “Megatronus” will get a mention at all. Seems weird Orion, Bee and elita would have names while he sticks to a number. Unless he immediately goes to Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm late to the game and just saw the trailer. It looks fun. I hope it does what it is meant to do. DRAW IN KIDS AND SELL TOYS!!! That is its purpose. To entertain and sell toys. We want it to succeed and sell toys. The more they sell of the mainstream stuff....the more they can put I to niche things.

Say it with me... this movie isn't for the die hard transformers fan who wants all linked cannon and minute details interweaving through all storyline. This is to entertain children and SELL TOYS!

• Like Like x 2
  15. PrimeBot

PrimeBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Johnson the third

Johnson the third Well-Known Member

HE SAID LITERALLY YESTERDAY IT WAS ITS OWN THING SEPERATE FROM THE BAY FILMS
    WHAT THE FUCK LORENZO

https://twitter.com/TFHypeGuy/status/1780970963095433223
    i hate this guy with a burning passion but he is consistently correct with his insider info
    yes what other prime would have a massive con symbol for a head???
    yeah???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2024
  17. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Where's the poll??? Do you think this looks good or not? I'm interested to see what the results would be.

I think it looks bad and that's coming from a 43yo man that finished watching Earth Spark a couple weeks ago. There's some things even in that show that I like. I mean you have to overlook most of anything connected with the Terrain/Maltobots but the animation, Mandroid, SOME of the character models I thought were decent.

18. MaonAAA

MaonAAA IT’S DUNK

The bad writing is one thing, but my main problem is it looks like absolute slop. The character designs manage to be bland, uninspiring and also uncanny and creepy at the same time. This looks like some generic paint-by-numbers CGI direct to streaming service film, or a cheap knockoff.

They could have got creative, thought outside the box and gave us some interesting, unique designs that help distinguish this film. But no, they went with the same fucking blocky evergreen designs we’ve had shoved down our throats for years. Look at Soundwave and Shockwave for example. So derivative. And I know the “generics” are meant to be generic, but they didn’t even give them any colour and a lot of them don’t even have faces. They look as bland as protoforms.

Edit: I kinda like Bumblebees design though i won’t lie

• Like Like x 9
  19. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream Defender of Beast Machines and Clone Wars

Oh, I know exactly what "objectively" means. And there are ways that a film can be objectively terrible. There are technical aspects that can be judged.

For example, if a person intends to shoot a film and forgets to remove the lens cap, that person has objectively failed to shoot a film.

If a person is intending to shoot an image of a dog, and instead shoots a cat, that person has objectively failed.

Armada had many techical failures, from calling multiple characters Leader-1, to words not matching the mouth flapping, to poor animation with multiple minutes where nothing is being animated at all, to poor understanding of the English language (for example, the show starts out with the narrator saying "Lightyears ago" when we all know that lightyears are a measure of space, not time). I could go on and on.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Johnson the third

Johnson the third Well-Known Member

PREACH

• Like Like x 4