Transformers on Free Comic Book Day

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by DarkAngelPrime, Apr 3, 2006.

1. DarkAngelPrime

DarkAngelPrime Lawful Good

Over at Newsarama, there's a quick release about the Transformers comic that IDW is offering for Free Comic Book Day. Apparently it'll have some content from Infiltration, Beat Wars, Stormbringer, and Hearts of Steel. There's also a small image of a pretty sweet looking Jetfire redesign (probably by Don) on the cover. Here's the link:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=65405

2. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Enough with Bumblebee getting all the cover love already. That said, the Stormbringer stuff has me excited by just the small little pictures shown so far. I love that Jetfire.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    :eek:  Did anyone else see Jetfire on that BW cover? What the hell is that, Stormbringer or classics (please let it be the latter!)?

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm suddenly excited about Stormbringer. I've said it before, but Infiltration can't end soon enough!

5. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Sounds like the free comic will only have stuff that those of us who've been paying for comics have already seen before.... (with the possible exception of that Jetfire redesign.)

6. Foster

News Credits:
    The press release explicitly states Stormbringer and Hearts of Steel preview pages are included. Those series start in June. There's a chance those same previews will be released online before Free Comic Day, May 6, but I haven't seen any yet.

edit: I agree, it would be disappointing if BW and Infiltration stories in the free comic weren't new. FCBD isn't supposed to be about old content. Even DW knew that.

7. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I stand corrected, so far as that goes. But I'm not satisfied, either. Especially given that, if the existing issues of IDW's comics are an indication, we'll see these previews in lots of other places, too.

To be fair, lots of other FCBD items do this. Seems rather cheap, if you ask me (even granting that, yes, we ARE getting these for nothing).

But I guess I can't complain. I'm certainly not out any money, and I've found that more and more comics shops are putting restrictions on how many free comics I can get, anyway, so I guess that leaves me with more options. I can just forego the TF issue if the comic shop doesn't feel generous.

8. Contrail

Contrail Well-Known Member

Will comic shops in the UK be able to get hold of this?

9. Foster

News Credits:
    According to this the Free Comic Book Day event is open to comic specialty retailers worldwide. Whether there is a participant in your area, I'm not sure.

10. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    It'd be cool if Stormbringer had every one in WW designs.

11. Foster

News Credits:
    Stormbringer's set in the present day, WWI in the past. So, as in Jetfire's case, designs may be different. Even so, Cybertonian alt modes by DON never fail to impress!!

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't wait for more glympses of Stormbringer!:rock 

13. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I don't see where it states that the stories are old, it could be that the two stories are sidebar things that happen during the two series.
    Even if it isn't, FCBD is meant to give people a risk free start in comics. As much as some people might want to think so, it isn't a perk for old comic fans. It's meant to create more comic fans. With that in mind it makes perfect sense to put out a special reprint of the first issue of a comic. That's how I got into Marvel Ultimates line. I got Ultimate X-Men #1 and Ultimate Spiderman #1 on free comic book day a few years back, and then when I got into comics this January thanks to Infiltration, I saw the Ultimate X-Men Volume 1 TPB and remembered that I had enjoyed issue one, so I picked it up.

14. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    It could be. The information's not conclusive. But I'm not encouraged by what I do see. The description sounds a lot like "reused material" to me.
    You're quite right. Doesn't mean I'm not disappointed.

15. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

I'd be far more annoyed if it were extra story printed on the typically substandard paper FCBD issues get and not available to everyone -- "exclusive" is what covers and fanservice toy repaints are for.

16. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Seems to me that FCBD are more "available to everyone" than the standard comics are. While I figure you're complaining about the fact that non-US folks miss out on stuff, I'm pretty confident that any number of people would be willing to pick up and send you a copy if you really want it.

17. Foster

News Credits:
    FCBD seems to be all about availability. I can't speak for if the comic will be available in a far-flung place like Carbombya the same day as New York City, but the website I linked to earlier should be able to say.

18. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I'm sure that it would make it's way into the TPBs of the first volumes if it was a one shot not a reprint of the first issue of each.