Transformers on DVD Help

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Omega Supreme V, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

okay, so let's say five years ago, I purchased the original transformers Series on like...14 VHS tapes...but the quality is subpar and one I watched won't even play

Ive been watching this tapes since yesterday afternoon lol...started off with the Gambler :D 

anyways, I was wondering, I'm going to purchase them on DVD, but I would like an original release and not most of the knockoffs as I've seen on eBay (they had Armada Prime on the cover for season two, wtf?)

so if you all would be so nice to direct me to some links where I can find them (my cheapass would like to find them on eBay, but I'll look anywhere as long as its' a trusted site)

it would be much appreciated..hahahah:thumbs2: 

2. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Original cartoon, huh?

Well ebay is probably the place to go. They were released a few years ago by Rhino, the rights were bought by Sony who has not yet even announced any intention to re-release the series. You may expect to pay a lot for those box sets.

If you have a region free player though, the next best option is either the Australian box set by Madman or the UK box sets by Metrodome. Both of these are still in print, AFAIK.

3. Omega Supreme V

you have any idea what the covers look like?

there's a lot of different one's here on eBay :( 

4. walruslaw

walruslaw video archivist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  5. Omega Supreme V

thanks you two :) 

btw, what's AFAIK stand for?

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far as I know

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Bear in mind both the UK and Australia use the higher resolution PAL colour standard, so make sure your TVs and DVD players can deal with PAL, or you'll get a black and white screen. An alternative is playing them on the computer.

These are the differences between the two sets:

Metrodome:
    Uses the Kid Rhino remastered production masters and 2.0 audio. This results in a sharper image, but the tradeoff is there are animation errors all over the place. Animation errors that were never there in the broadcast versions :( 

One of the main attractions of this set is that it has PDF files of dialogue scripts for nearly every episode of the series. They have since been catalogued and transcribed on The Cybertron Chronicle.

It comes in a boxset with Metrodome's Transformers: The Movie - Reconstructed, a pretty bad remaster of the original movie according to Chris McFeely. Also comes with a poster of the movie.

Madman
    Uses the broadcast masters owned by TV Loonland as well as Rhino's 2.0 audio. This means you get whatever was aired back in the 80s, but the tradeoff is some of the episodes (particularly Season 1 episodes) are nowhere near as sharp as the ones using the Rhino remaster. However, there are no additional animation errors. Extras include all of Rhino's DVD extras, some 2004 Transformers game trailers, an exclusive interview with voice director Wally Burr, as well as a commentary track on More Than Meets the Eye, Part 1.

This set also comes with the same PDF dialogue files from the Metrodome DVD set... but only from episode 40 onwards. I can't seem to find the other 39, if they even bothered to include them.

Comes in an embossed metal tin with various character model designs printed on the bottom. Discs are contained in two large DVD cases with an exclusive mini-comic set in the year 2001, during the construction of Autobot City. Also comes with a nice piece of artwork of the Matrix by Nick Roche and Josh Burcham. It's the first thing you see opening the case, and as Botch said in his review, it serves no purpose other than to look cool.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    My Metrodome sets have TV Loonland logos featured on them.

9. Omega Supreme V

what kind of animation errors do you mean?

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Also available individually. The first issue of the season 1 box set came with a large tin case to store the entire series in. Also, the seasons were originally available in large slipcases with each disk in it's individual keepcase, but apparently they have been replaced with gatefold digipak packaging.

I do not know whether the digipak-reissues contain the post cards, but they definitely are missing the bonus comic...but to be honest, you'll be happier off without it. Some things are just best left unseen...

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
  12. Omega Supreme V

13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I would have to say no.

Despite the fancy, official-looking packaging, no real distributor uses those 'pocket' things to hold the discs. In general, you should avoid anything originating from China or it's subsidiaries (Hong Kong, Taiwan) unless it's a well-known distributor.

When they say it's "officially licensed", it usually isn't, especially when they conveniently refrain from mentioning the distributor anywhere or showing their logos in the photos...assuming there even are any.

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thems be transcripts of the finished episodes, rather than copied from the dialogue scripts, which feature lines of dialogue not in the finished show.

15. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It definitely is legit. I bought that set on amazon and it is fantastic. Best deal I've seen considering you can get them for around $70 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/TRANSFORMERS-Generation-G1-Episodes%2B-Secondary/dp/B000BP80ZQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1206317137&sr=8-8

16. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    How do YOU know if it's legal or not?

It's a little hard to tell whether it's a pirate or not until you actually have the discs at hand; bootlegs either have the serial codes on the inner ring of the discs scratched out or missing altogether.

17. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Why are they all so damn expensive? Most dvd's & video games become worthless within a few months of release but the TF dvd's never drop. I've been hoping for the price to drop (especially on the complete Beast Machines set) but it never does.

:wtf: 

18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Most DVDs and video games don't come on 15 discs. :p 

19. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When there is 98 episodes space is an issue.

I could pose the same question to you. How do you know that they are not legal?

20. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I've already explained above.