Transformers Movie - Opening Day Reactions and Discussion!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Gnaw, Jul 2, 2007.

1. konichan

konichan Well-Known Member

I like this movie alot -

But I thought Frenzy was AS ANNOYING AS JAR JAR BINX and similiar in otherways too.

Barricade's face upclose and screaming was really breathtakingly beautiful. All I want is MORE MORE MORE. The most G1 thing about it to me was the GAY UNDERTONES!!! LOL

2. Malaktha

Malaktha Active Member

then how was sam able to lift it? if something THAT big got THAT small and retained it's density there is NO way sam could have lifted it let alone ran with it...an mikela would have noticed her purse was a lot heavier with frenzy as her cell phone.

this isn't something I really had an issue with EXCEPT for all the "no mass shifting" preaching that was given, it's not even a complaint of mine for the movie just saying that there WAS mass shifting in at least 2 cases (the all spark cube and Frenzy as the cell phone)

3. shin03

shin03 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That movie kicked so much ass it isn't even funny. I loved the comic relief parts and the Autobots had awesome personalities. My only hang up is the lack of character development for the Decepticons, and the way Jazz died and the weak reaction to it by Prime. Starscream is bad ass and deserved to be the only survivor. If they make a sequal, I hope we get to see more of the robot's and less of the sappy humans. Anybody see what happened to barricade? Optimus was suppose to have destroyed him and Bonecrusher, but he just disappeared.
    "Hail Megatron" (Blackout)

4. ironhide1

ironhide1 Autobot

hahahaha that was great. I just took a pic of rachet's figure holding jazz half transformed and I was thinking the same thing lol

5. Decimus

Decimus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    movie was fantastic! saw the first showing at 11:00 and me and my brother were the first in line. I'm glad the love story wasn't too sappy. i have an impluse to buy an old camero. and Bernie Mac is Hilarious.

6. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Seriously? Which part of this do you not understand? I have an Australian accent. I am Australian. I was born here and throughout my life I've probably lived in this country for around 15 years total. The rest of my years have been spent overseas. I have encountered many accents. I am telling you, her accent is horrible. It is horrible and out of place. Every Australian in the cinema that I went to was cringing every time she spoke. Not only that, her role in the film was 100% completely and utterly unconvincing. The writers can take 50% of the blame for that though. How do I know this? When I'm not busy running my mouth I do fairly similiar science stuff all day (and most nights) for a living. I am very aware of who Rachael Taylor is. I've seen that lame Channel 7 drama she was in.

7. Shotoman

Shotoman Well-Known Member

First reaction: SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!

More coherent reaction, I seriously think that this movie will blow all the other Summer Blockbusters this year out of the water. And that's not just my TransFandom talking. I'm just as big a fan of Spider-Man, for example...

8. SpeezyP

SpeezyP New Member

New to the boards...

First of all, I'm extremely satisfied. For a child of the '80s who remembers the G1 series and the G1 origin story (The Ark and Teletran I anyone?) I couldn't be happier. I even shed a tear during Prime's speech at the end.

I saw it today at the 11:30 a.m. showing. I tried to see it at the 8 p.m. showing last night, but the film broke halfway through (when the Witwickeys get arrested by Sector 7).

At the end of that scene the film flipped upside down and the audio was backwards. The theatre staff shut the film off, and an ad against senior citizen abuse featuring an old guy with his head in his hands flashed up on the screen drawing laughs.

After 30 minutes, the manager came in and announced they'd fixed the film. They RE-WOUND it 20 minutes (I got to see the Autobot intro scene twice) and at the SAME POINT it broke again. Not only was it upside down and the audio backwards, but the reel they "fixed" it with was from the end of the movie (Megatron and Sam's chase scene through the building).

The whole theatre got up and marched out for their refund.

I returned today and the manager informed me that part of the film arrived in locked cases to prevent piracy (Paramount's idea if I remember right). Thus they only had 1 1/2 hours to put the film together and didn't have time to preview it to prevent such mistakes from occuring.

So, after all this. It was definitely worth the trouble.

Anybody have any other theatre mishaps?

9. Diabolus

Diabolus Member

This movie ROCKED my effing world!! Megatron's defeat could have had a little more meat to it, but I'm sure we'll see him again. My biggest peeve would probly be the chaotic fight scenes. A bit much too take in, but will be OHHH so much sweeter when the DVD comes out and I can pause.

10. bumblebee15

bumblebee15 Autobot

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!! The action, comedy, romance!! I mean it was soo worth the wait!!! I took my wife, daughter, best friend and my neighbor and mind you they know what kind of Transformer nut I am and THEY LOVED IT AS WELL!!!! And my wife is no fan of Sci Fi or Animation! It was sad that Jazz met an untimely death but I mean they are at war and heck most of the Decipticreeps died too so it balanced out! I plan on seeing it many more times!!!!!!!! WHEN WILL IT RELEASE ON DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????

11. RobotLiz

RobotLiz that's Ms. Robot to you

*not spoiler free*

I am sooo glad I'm finally able to talk about it with other people. I got to see it last Thursday and I have been on a high ever since. I agree, the humor was kinda campy at times, but I did find myself truely laughing. Besides once I heard Prime's voice I was content with anything that was being thrown at me... I guess too if they had to kill an autobot it should've been Jazz, but still... So does anyone else see the possiblity of Shockwave being in the next film? Since they introduced Frenzy do you think they'll find a way to bring in Soundwave, maybe as a large night club sound system?:lol 

12. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Saw it last night. I'm sure I'll say more in detail later, but for now I just want to say that despite the cautionary doubts I had going in, I thought it worked all things considered and I really, really liked it! Yea, Bumblebee! Poor Jazz! Prime was awesome! Frenzy was funny! The other Cons were really scarry (especially Barricade and Megs when they were after Sam at different points)! Ratchet was wise and I liked what they did with him. Did Ironhide have a British accent or was that Ratchet? I had a hard time telling. Anyway, Ironhide was properly triggerhappy. The humans were a big focus, but it was really a story about the Autobots learning to trust humanity as much as it was about the humans accepting the Autobots. And Prime/Peter Cullen just rocks! I miss Welker not being in there though (Hugo was fine, but it just felt kinda off hearing Cullen and not hearing the familiar voice of his nemesis talking back.) I do wish there had been some more with Starscream (he looked so awesome taking those jets out I wanted even more of him fighting), maybe we can see more of him and some Decepticon power struggle in the sequel. Still, great robot action, but also with some heart as well. And we got to see Cybertron in all it's CGI glory for a brief bit. I'm definately hoping for Soundwave, Shockwave, and Arcee in the sequel. While I still don't like it quite as much as the 1986 TF movie (still my #1), I'm putting this one in my top 10 at least.

I think the DVD would come out around Nov/Dec. Hopefully it will have a nice long run in the theater and won't go directly to DVD too quickly.

13. gamer

gamer Well-Known Member

It was better than expected.

14. GundamHeavyArms

GundamHeavyArms Zippity Doo Dah

Wikipedia lists Transformers as Rachel Taylors' first lead role, how the heck does her small contribution to the film constitute as a lead role. I don't even recall her having a name, and no body who I saw the movie with last night remembers it either. Weird

15. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. CGI was over the top. The rendering was so real you can almost feel the robots. I was a bit disappointed because original designs could have really worked. The whole "realistic" thing is really bullshit they just want to make changes period.
    2. Optimus Prime was Optimus Prime, he sounded differently but its Optimus. The mouth did bother me and I wish it was on all the time because it totally worked when he spoke with the faceplate on. The flames did not bother me that much but in truck mode it does not quite feel Optimus. I liked his sword but the Axe could have been better and he did act impatient in one scene.
    3. Megatron sounded like Megatron and I wonder why the heck they did not us Frank Welker because the voice did not sound like Hugo Weaving at all. Felt sorry for Frank who was left out. Megatron's design is still horrible to me.
    4. Starscream was a bit Starscream however, he did not come out until during the final battle so there's not much to say about him.
    5. Shia was good and all attention points to him and there are times that the transformers looked like supporting cast rather than the main focus of the movie.
    6. Megan Fox is hot but I think the Aussie hacker is hotter with that kind of accent.
    7. John Turturo was funny in some scenes but got annoying towards the end.
    8. Jon Voight as well Tyrese and Josh played good parts but was over exposed in my opinion.
    9. Bumbleebee is great and really kicked ass. Ironhide, Rachet and Jazz were OK but I felt sorry for Jazz for being the sacrificial lamb. In the cartoon Jazz was second in command.
    10. Decepticons Bonecrusher and Brawl were just extras and were only there for the mayhem part. Blackout was the best Decepticons followed by Barricade although Barricade is a weaking because he was bested by Bumblebee.

Now for some not so good stuff:

1. Mass shifting is present c/o The All Spark. I did not like this because there was no consistency. They said no mass shifting and then why the heck did the All Spark do that? Its magical I know but really presented inconsistencies because if the Spark can mass shift logically its creation can do the same too. I really hated it.
    2. The faction symbols of the Autobots and Decepticons was not clearly explained. It would have been nice if it were given some thoughts and elaboration.
    3. Holy Batsignal/Autobot signal. Bumblebee summoned Optimus and rest of the bots using a batsignal like contraption and to my dismay it seemed the Autobots in their statious pod travel faster than light because as soon as Bumblebee hit the switch Autobots came down to earth almost immediately.
    4. The scene where the Autobots choose their Alt form is not well executed. It looked as if they copied the first vehicle they used. Fortunately no one saw a bicycle because had Optimus saw it then Optimus could have been a bicycle for cyrin out loud.
    5. Robots could instantly alter their form and I wonder why Bumblebee could not repair himself instantly but after the great battle could speak suddenly.
    6. Robots looked really good, with battle damage effect and dust but when they transform magically they come out looking new and shiny.
    7. Sam's great great grandfather discovering Megatron is really lame and not to mention Megatron's navigation system on one of its fingers which was again magically activated and nicely embedded in the sunglasses.
    8. Megatron crashed landed here and was frozen. Was he alone? How come it took the Deceptions eons to find him.
    9. The All Spark creates mindless robots which really does not make sense at all. I know it was explained in the comics but they should have handled it in a much better way.
    10. Transformation was sleek and awesome. A visual fiesta if I may say so but cheating is prevalent if you looked closely. The moving parts was really for the wow effects and not for the realistic thing.
    11. Blackout in the first scene had some force field protecting him but in the end it was ignored and humans can hurt the robots.
    12. Humans with the help of a hacker quickly breaks an alien language code and decipher what it means in minutes. How stupid is this.

We'll Transformers is a good movie but not great in my opinion. I watched it two times already and when I first saw it I was blown away maybe my child in me who watched and loved Transformers was the reason but when I watched it the second time around the thing is really close to becoming a total crap and the only thing that saved this film was Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime. Sure the action was great, effects will definitely win an Oscar but the story telling and continuous camera shakes makes this almost annoying to watch especially for those who wear glasses.
    My Score 3.5 / 5

16. Mirageified

Mirageified Active Member

Pearl Harbor. On the other hand you are trying to compare trilogy movies that are how old to movies that are quite young ultimately. Who are we to assume what kind of following these movies will have in 20 or 30 years? Will I go see this movie again if they rerelease it in 20 years! Hell Yeah!

This is not G1. The comic books clearly were not G1 at all times. You are a purist, and you have a right to your opinion. Personally, it is kind of like Battlestar Galactica. I loved the original, and I love the new one also. You have to accept the fact that they are not the same and look at them as separate entities.

17. Mirageified

Read the Prequel book, there was evidence in that. The novelized book also went into more detail developing the human characters and even extended the fight scenes a bit.

18. Mirageified

Soundwave was not in the movie. Frenzy was though. Decepticons has more lines in their native language. They have no desire to use the language of the insects they despise. They are all about destruction like they should be. Too many villians talk to damn much, about time they made them just plain violent.

19. Mirageified

Again, read the novel version of the book. Wraps this up all nice and tight. The prequel book and comics help too. It was a good way to make more money, I know, but they do fill in some of the gaps.

20. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are completely right. Lets face it the whole realistic thing does not simply and will not truely work. What the designers have done is convinced us that their designs are superior and realistic but the truth is it is'nt. Folding parts disappearing parts are there. Look very closely because I watched it 2 times and they are really prevalent. If you observe carefully this is the reason they used moving parts to divert our attention to what's really going on just like a magician actually.
    There's another thing. If the All Spark can create mindless robots then it will inherit its capabilities to do mass shifting as well.
    I hate it too when they said no mass shifting because easily Soundwave and Megatron could have retained their alternate for without much complains from fans. Heck they could have used frenzy or rumble (G1 look) to do the hacking thing and not the Gremlin sounding frenzy.