Transformers Movie 1 resurrected Michael Bay's career, will DOTM finally destroy it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by alephnull2005, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

As long as Bay never does another film that trips into geekdom or historical events then I don't care what he does. Makes it easier planning what to watch when I know I can skip anything that says director or producer Micheal Bay.

If Pearl Harbor couldn't get the guy thrown out of the director's chair for good then nothing can sink his career.

2. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Well, I don't think Bay's career will ever really be in jeopardy, in that he'd lose his job. (Can that happen to a director?) But the 2007 TF film did have the potential, after the flop that was the Island, to show that Bay can do decent action films. At least it seemed that way to me. Maybe I just wasn't paying that much attention, but outside of the hyper angry hipster and movie buff crowd, most average people didn't really care who Bay was as a director, one way or the other.
    But after ROTF, Bay has become a house hold name as one of the most despised directors in hollywood since Joel Schumacher. (Batman and Robin.)

Will DOTM change that? I don't think so. ROTF left a mark on people's opinion of the man's directing. I doubt DOTM will do anything to change that.
    Oh sure, it'll probably still make money. Most movies do, no mater how bad they are. Just look at Twilight. But I think Bay and his career as a director will officially always be a bad joke in the eyes of most.

Isn't he going to be the producer for the reboot of the live action Ninja Turtle movies?
    Oh that's going to be fun to watch. Not the movie, peoples reactions.

3. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Notice that these film makers are highly successful in their appropriate genres of film? Michael Bay has a lot of credibility for directing action films. But if a studio is making a chick flick, they're not going to hire him. Same for Nolan and Burton.

Your argument has absolutely zero valid points to discuss/debate, other than nerdrage/trolling.

4. alephnull2005

alephnull2005 Banned

You left out James Cameron, and you missed the point, I was not talking about worldwide box office, but if you take out the Transformers movies, Mikey's at the bottom, which was the point, box office wise, his career was in decline before Transformers(you know, the movie he didn't want to make because he thought it was a stupid concept), after Transformers 2, it is in decline again, not box office wise, yet, but as far as people considering his movies worth watching, well, I guess you were really impressed with ROTF, but the contempt for the audience was offensive, and you not being aware of how you are being mocked in these movies you are watching probably makes Mike Bay laugh just a little harder, knowing you are giving him your money so he can insult you.

5. hillyard

hillyard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off I didn't miss the point you did. You keep making him sound like he wasn't successful before the TF movies. Second I didn't make any remarks about how much I loved or how I was impressed by ROTF. So don't put words in my mouth. Yes I left out Cameron because it's cheap to mention him. He obvious beats Bay and pretty much most current directors working in Hollywood.
    Here is some revised numbers for you.

Christopher Nolan minus The Dark Knight - $ 1,459,448,929
    or if you want a bigger number minus Inception - $1,637,794,559

Michael Bay minus both TF films - $1,915,689,098

Burton minus Alice Wonderland - $1,924,618,232

Cameron - beating everyone

Bay's numbers are still good after taking both films out especially with having half the output of Burton.

6. Ash from Carolina

For a director to get fired off the film they are currently working on things have to get seriously screwed up. The budget has to be out of control, the production team has to be out of control, and it has to look like the film is never going to be ready for release. Just don't ever see that happening with Bay.

A franchise can be taken away from a director though if the suits don't feel like the series is going in a profitable direction. For example Stephen Sommers has been replaced on the live action GI Joe franchise.

On the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I don't know if anyone can really revive them. Several attempts have been made on the cartoon front that didn't catch on and they tried with toys that didn't catch on.

7. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Where are you getting that information from...? What is your source?

Also, the only people who know who Joel Schumacher is are angry hipsters and movie buffs... I wouldn't really call him a household name. Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are household names. Not Joel Schumacher.

The fact that Twilight makes a lot of money, doesn't prove that the Transformers movies are bad, though. Sure, a lot of "bad" things make a ton of money. But, conversely, a lot of things make money because they're "good" as well.

It's like saying:

- "Star Wars is crap."

- "How can you say that? It has a huge fanbase and makes tons of money every year."

- "Sure, it does. But, so does WWE."

In the end, it's all subjective. For some reason, a lot of people (usually teenagers) see very popular cash-cows and automatically start hating on it and calling it "bad". I'm not saying that Money = Quality. But, it's making tons of money for a reason. The reason being that it's really appealing to a sizable group of people, even if other people don't understand why.

Stephanie Meyer is a hardworking, fledgling author. Who are we to call her work "bad"? Sure, you don't have to like it. But, just consider things from her point of view. She worked hard and had the courage to put her work out for everyone to see... and then a large group of people hate on it and call it "superficial shit"??? Have a heart, guys.

Personally, I don't think Twilight is "bad", per se. Just extremely popular and over-hyped. I've seen a couple of the Twilight movies, admittedly, and while they're not the pinnacles of fine film-making (in my opinion) and they don't really appeal to me all that much, they're certainly not as god-awful as a lot of people would have you believe. I've seen god-awful movies before (i.e. Troll 2, The Room, etc.), and the Twilight series isn't a part of that group.

So, in the end, I guess all I'm really saying is: Haters Gonna Hate, and Lovers Gonna Love. And neither side is really right or wrong for doing so.

8. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    This really should be in a large banner at the top of the movie forum and threads therein.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I have a feeling she isn't exactly weeping herself to sleep over it. Same with Michael Bay.

10. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    I never claimed that she (or he) was. I'm not trying to make people feel sorry for her or anything. But, the whole concept is still pretty effed up in itself.

11. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

XD. This can be applied to a lot of movie threads/"discussions."

12. BAMC18

BAMC18 Well-Known Member

I personally love Mr. Michael Bay's movies, what a summer blockbuster should be fun and entertaining!!

SO STOP HATIN!!!!!

13. swishbig

swishbig Member

ROTF wasn't a fail in making money but it was a let down to the general audience. People only hate on Bay because they take one of his movies and use it to represent the rest of his films. Idc what shit people throw at him, he's one of the best directors! DOTM will surpass all his movies!

14. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

People can say whatever they want about Michael Bay...but the man knows how to shoot an action film like no other director! He TRULY delivers in that department.

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    those numbers show that he's only had 2 bad movies; one of those was his starting gig, bad boys, so how is that a career in turmoil?

Maybe you should look at M nite shalayla....

16. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To lazy to dig up the box office, but I'm pretty sure Shyamalan's grosses form a very different pattern than Bay's.

I could be wrong though- I read something today indicating that the Last Airbender actually made money somehow.

There is one parallel though- both directors recently won Golden Razzies for their movies.

Bay may have actually taken it to heart, somehow I doubt Shyamalan did.

17. Ash from Carolina

Maybe hype is the factor and not money.

We seem to be in an era of over hyping. Perhaps there is some sort of backlash against hype now since few things can actually live up to all their hype.

I guess the way hype is done these days it's sort of like a guilt trip if you don't like something because the hype machine says every man, woman, and child on the face of the planet loves. And well some people just like to be rebellious so they are going to have some backlash against the idea of you have to love something.

Kind of makes you miss the old days when a movie played long enough to get hot by word of mouth instead of a hype machine to sell films hard and quickly.

18. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    LOVE THIS!! :lol 

Yeah, I think we've had way too many of the Baybashing threads, but this won't be the last one, that's something we can count on. :) 

Now, that being said, to answer to OP's???, Heck no, Bay will make out like a bandit, we'll see DOTM several times, buy all the toys we can afford (of which he gets a cut) and buy the DVD's when they are released. :popcorn 

19. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

Don't you just love the balance, thoroughness of thought and partiality that this post demonstrates?

20. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I think I love you, for winning this thread.

I think I love you too. :lolol