Transformers Movie 1 resurrected Michael Bay's career, will DOTM finally destroy it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by alephnull2005, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mr Happy Squid

Mr Happy Squid Well-Known Member

Because ROTF was panned...remember...the final nail? No? :lol :

2. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    When DOTM release, and make sh*t load of money. I will come back and LOL at this thread a bit more.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After Bay goes back to just making his own original movies I think his career will slack up or begin to fail.

But bots almost sell themselves. I'm sure DOTM will make boat-loads of cash regardless of whether or not it's any good...

4. Cth

Cth Cthulhu

News Credits:
    Well, I think we can safely strike this from the list.

Its inclusion alone suggests bias/agenda/whatever.

If you're trying to troll, that's one way to do it. If you actually wanted discussion however, you might want to leave off ridiculous stuff like this with future threads.

5. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I'll be amazed if DOTM doesn't take that earlier total I quoted over $4bn.

6. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

This is one of the most poorly thought out threads I've read. With the exception of The Island, every movie Michael Bay has made has been able to recoup its production budget from just domestic ticket sales, his two most recent movies being the most staggering in terms of ROI for the studios. Considering he's currently the 8th all time most profitable director, it's completely illogical to suggest that DOTM will make or break his career.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's funny that people say oh look how much it made at the US box office why it's one of the biggest movies ever. But when you make the adjustment for inflation on ticket prices it actually drops down to #79 on the domestic box office list. Sad thing is when you start adjusting for inflation films are making far less than they did in the past.

Once Bay is done with Transformers even if it's an okay film I imagine his box office is going to drop unless he can attach his name to something that had name recognition before he became attached. I know I'm not everyone but once he's done with Transformers I don't plan on watching any more Micheal Bay films.

Dark of the Moon box office. To be honest I've got no idea at this point how it will do. The summer film market is a lot more crowded than when Revenge of the Fallen came out. If consumers feel gasoline is too high they might cut back on going to the movies and just rent instead. Just lots of factors on the box office that have noting at all to do with the quality of the film.

8. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

You know what helps a movie career

ILM

How does everyone not get its the CG group at Industrial light and magic that make these movies special to us.

The CG is so good that even me who despises the story and its new angles still cant help watching how great the CG is.

The movies as far as any good movie based on the merit of its script and enjoyability are so low and unrewarding it takes this mammoth effort from ILM to recoupe that.

Michael Bay doesnt understand the meaning of a making a movie he only knows how to string enough commercial shots to gether to get a movie length.

There were alot of films that came out during the writes strike I didnt see all of them sucking at plot and inconsistencies like rotf and rotf had a hell of a budget.

9. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even if it's #79 that is still pretty good when you consider how many movies are released each year (and that's #79 of ALL TIME). It was also one of the top selling DVDs for that year as well, if I remember correctly.

I do agree about the other factors affecting the box office totals for DOTM. I still think it will make plenty of money and we'll be seeing more of Michael Bay. It takes a lot of box office failures to put a big director out of a job.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Eh. As long as DOTM is the last time he touches Transformers, I don't give a shit what direction his career takes.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree even if the box office totals aren't as high we will still be seeing Micheal Bay movies until the guy is ready to retire from film making. M. Night Shyamalan is still making films so if Hollywood will green light more films for that guy I can't see why they wouldn't green light more Micheal Bay films.

12. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    Hell hollywood lets Uwe Boll Still make films come the f on!! how many videogame franchises has he ruined! ive not see one good film by him ever and he still is making films.
    thats whats fd up so i really cantsee Bay having toworry at all.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I'm not sure how a movie that is very likely to be in the top five highest grossing films of all time is going to "destroy" his career.

14. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Actually, RotF is nowhere near the top ten highest grossing films. While Wikipedia might not be the most trustworthy place to look, it has it listed at #26, and that's also not adjusted for inflation.

I remember hearing Michael Bay was going to direct the first Transformers and literally saying to myself "Sh*t." But I have to say, it wasn't bad. I actually really liked it. I'm sure that's because Spielberg kind of held the reigns a little bit, and stopped Bay from smothering us with it. Unfortunately, RotF picked up the slack of disappointment...

I do hope that Bay is serious with all he has said about DotM though, and that he really is trying to make it good. We've never really seen him look back at one of his movies before and admit it was terrible. So, maybe he's growing up.

On another note, did Bad Boys II really make that much? How?

15. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    In that he won't have to make movies anymore, and can retire on the moon in luxury, no doubt.

16. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    I lol'd at the absurdity of the thread.

Take the Bayhate somewhere else please.

17. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Well-Known Member

i have faith that DOTM will be awesome so I dont think he has to worry about his career :D 

18. alephnull2005

alephnull2005 Banned

I'm glad to humor you, oh and where should I take my opinion on a Transformers movie franchise and it's director? Maybe a Transformers website movie discussion forum? Why that's a great idea, thanks!

19. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What an inept OP. If you’re going to be a basher, that’s fair enough, but at least know what you’re talking about. How will DOTM “destroy” Bay’s career, when it will no doubt, regardless of final product, break box-office records?

Ignorant bashers like the OP really make me wish Bay comes back to direct Transformers 4-6, just to cause irritation.

20. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    But you're really just bashing the director. If you have a legitimate opinion on the movie franchise, then cool story bro. Love to hear it and have a good debate back and forth if yours differs from mine, maybe we could change eachother's thinking or something.

But this is just blatant trolling and bad comedy.