Transformers Masterpiece Series to End/Unified Under MPG

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Bubblegunner, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Frankthusiast

Frankthusiast Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They could call themselves Takasa Tony for what I care, and to me the name rebranding is just the more prominent change since the aestethic mutated along the way from real-life alt modes to toon accuracy. Hit and miss on their part and personal tastes are not enough to sink the line. Maybe they're just adapting to the market i.e. US THE CONSUMERS

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  2. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as someone gives me the rest of S1 BW at the correct MP scale, I’m happy. Don’t leave this corner of my display like this, Takara!!

IMG_3545.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  3. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    You'd think it would be the other way around and roll the MPG stuff into regular MP, not that the numbering of releases ever mattered anyway. Much ado about nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sandman0079

Sandman0079 Well-Known Member

As much as i like to make fun of corporate nonsense i fear they are playing the fandom as a fiddle with this one. A lot of people who were not interested in MP60 are now pondering to buy it because it's going to be the last release of the the MP line. At the same time the completionists that started the MPG line believing it to be limited to combiners are now going to spend the rest of their life collecting it...until the next rebrand obviously.

5. kaotika

kaotika Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    seriously dumb
    masterpiece has cachet
    mpg isn't necessary
    just put it all under "masterpiece" like they should have done in the first place
    doing combiners separate from everything else was foolish

• Like Like x 9
  6. Currywurst

Currywurst Heaven And Hell 2001 nostalgic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What's anthropologically fascinating is seeing people sitting like filletted fish and type out all kinds of smug comments because they need to feel superior when others don't behave according to the worldview they consider to be the only correct one.

You can claim that everything will remain the same, but you have no basis for such a claim either.

The statement that sparked this thread is just very poor communication.
    As exemplified by every comment in here being pure guesswork.
    One thing Takara did achieve with this is people are talking about them.
    So I guess stating you are going to end one of your flagship product lines and that it will be merged into something that nobody actually knows what it's going to be is good marketing at least.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

It’ll probably end up like all the G1 issues: same product, different packaging that annoys the MISB completionists when it’s all sitting side by side on the same shelf.

8. Sandman0079

Sandman0079 Well-Known Member

Pardon me, but after half a million of hollow tights posts i am bit jaded about paranoid half baked reactions, especially when the justification is just "to challenge established worldviews", whatever that means. More outlandish hypothesis like "hollow tights on MP! Outrage!" may be "interesting" compared to a simple wrong shadow value in the leaked CG render, but in the end it's just a reflection of our desire to make the reality less boring. The same applies to the reactions to this inconsequential rebranding.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Currywurst

Currywurst Heaven And Hell 2001 nostalgic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nobody wrote such a thing.
    But whatever. I simply think this press statement is a farce and it's only natural other people are trying to understand what it means.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    -- Martin Luther Predaking

• Like Like x 15
  11. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Considering that MPG is a sub brand of regular Masterpiece, it would be a strange step to just continue with MP releases and the only difference being that they're now called MPG. Something more happening seems likely.

If indeed Masterpiece stops, I'm not really surprised. Not only is the line in its 21st year, but I never really expected to get some sort of completion. Not even Ark/Nemesis crew (the smallest possible collection) let alone season 1 or more.

But looking at the Ark crew. The remaining carbots (Jazz, Mirage) have potential licensing problems, while several of the the Minibots don't fit into the Real Car Series concept. As such, the core Masterpiece line could be considered as good as complete for an Ark/Nemesis crew.

And beyond the Ark/Nemesis crew, most are combiners (Devastator, the s2 combiners), some sort of combiners (Omega, Reflector) or the more complex Triple Changers. All would fit well into the MPG concept. That would just leave Perceptor, Blaster and the Dinobots I think? And Blaster or a new Soundwave, could fit in MPG if sold with cassettes. Even the Dinobots would fit (Great).

• Like Like x 4
  12. EndoSickness

EndoSickness AKA Tim Kay's Nerd Crate

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Well, guess I'll stay full 3rd Party now and IF (big if) I get an oldschool Super Ginrai, it shall be KFC.

Diaclone department's gettin better and better, Transformers going from bad, to worse, to "fuse that and make it AGAIN smaller".
    Just no...

13. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

Im seeing a lot of almost-panic in the posts, and strong reactions to the announcement.

To me it appears that the MP line is just going to continue under the MPG designation, thats cool, no problem.

Having got all the MPG's so far and most of the MP's (with only a few exceptions), im ok with the change. The MPG's have been brilliant so far, and whilst Ginrai is shaping up to be a little disappointing and very simple in comparison... im still excited for any upcoming releases.

I think a lot of people on this forum are looking at things from a Western/different perspective amd valued than the intent of the announcement. I dont think so much concern is needed.

• Like Like x 2
  14. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Unfortunately I doubt it. We already only get 1 MPM figure a year as the retail US masterpieces. And as we have found out, $165 is the hard limit in price Target has set. Without ToysRus, not a lot of stores that would welcome insanely expensive figures that will be hard to sell to casuals walking around.

• Like Like x 3
  15. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    MP or MPG, I don't care as long as they do a rerelease of Hound with better quality plastics.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Lore Keeper

Lore Keeper Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    To be fair, the G1 reissues changed far more than just the packaging. The color pallets of the figures themselves were changed from classic to flat cartoon asthetic. They do look very much out of place on a shelf with the previous reissues.

17. Jonzy

Jonzy Active Member

I don\'t care how they name the line, I just want the quality of the figures to stay the same. As long as MPG line delivers flagship Takara / Hasbro engineering I am down. Recently I started to pick up some Studio Series from RoTB and realised the \"main\" line level of engineering has actually been raised. Though not at MP level, it definitely has taken a step forward. No longer were you buying a kids toy for an 8 year old, you were getting something that is probably more suitable for a teenager.

18. EndoSickness

EndoSickness AKA Tim Kay's Nerd Crate

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Sorry, I think you're wrong.

Raiden: downscaled
    Super Ginrai: downscaled (box dimensions say 28cm at the longest. Not even 12")

MP fusing into MPG and continuing as that?
    Simpler engineering and smaller.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Ding ding ding - THIS.

Reckon this is a way to reformat the MP line to include everything the way Hasbro does with their collector lines, and this would actually provide a way for Hasbro to restart their offering of MP figures outside of Japan under the Generations umbrella. That would make everything on that level 'unified' globally in terms of branding and cross-promotion between the companies. And Masterpiece Generations does sound like a pretty cool catch-all, IMHO. :thumb 

• Like Like x 8
  20. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Meanwhile, in TT HQ:

TT.jpg

• Like Like x 15