Transformers Masterpiece MP-53 Skids

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Dec 31, 2020.

1. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Different people, dont think dude was even born when he made Skids:lol 
    27474185d1413628846-takaratomy-staff-interview-yuya-onishi-aoe-generations-onishisan_1413634196.png 250px-KojinOnoPhoto.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    You do realize that for the '84 and '85 G1 cast, the "original" is the toy, right? The animation models were the stylized interpretations. And most modern MPs are interpretations of those interpretations. They're two degrees separated from "OG".

MP Skids may return to the Hasui "hybrid" aesthetic, but I feel the animation-style paint scheme doesn't compliment the design well at all. The contrasting dark blue and bright silver of the toy colors would have absolutely made this thing pop, but instead it looks like it was plasti-dipped in oversaturated blue with some red touch-ups. It looks cheap. Reboost is a nicer execution, but it's not Skids. I like Diaclone homages, but my hopes had been built up on the possibility of a Hasui-style Skids, and if the paint renders are any indication, Takara failed to stick the landing.

Personally, I think there should be something for all types of collectors, whether they lean "cartoon" or "toy". Limiting the MP category strictly to the animation designs is a strategy that narrows the field of prospective buyers. While I think designs such as MP-44, 47, 52, etc. are decently popular, I don't think my dislike of them makes me an outlier. I made an exception with Cordon because he was sufficiently Diaclone-y to pique my interest, but otherwise my interest in MPs basically ended with MP-30 (five years ago). Third-party companies have somewhat filled the void, but I don't expect that to continue indefinitely. For many of us who want something less bland and slavishly derivative than the current MPs (but with a high level of quality, complexity, and detail), CHUGs aren't a satisfactory substitute.

I think Skids is ending up more like the "+" versions of MP-12 through MP-20: great hybrid designs with uninspired, washed-out paint schemes. For me, that's a big disappointment. Ultimately it may just mean I have to spend some time painting and creating some stickers, but it would have been nice if Skids could have been offered both ways, with both a "toy" and a "+" paint scheme. And a toy-inspired head would have been a very nice bonus as well.

• Like Like x 5
  3. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Basically what @Ikkstakk said. Also, the way it was worded in the Figure King interview, where they specifically called this release a hybrid style, made it sound like it is a special kinda deal. I believe that Phamduc also mentioned that we will not be seeing a return to the Hasui-era style, although there could be the occasion figure a la Skids.

Furthermore, show accuracy sells here in Japan. It's been the trend for years and it's exactly what TakTomy's competitors are doing as well. And considering how the line has been trending in that direction, with all bots since 2016 in this style and old bots either redone or redecoed to fit in, it wouldn't make much sense for them to abandon it.

Like others said, he was involved in the design of many, many Diaclone/G1 toys.
    Kōjin Ōno - Transformers Wiki

In recent years he worked on the Revenge of the Fallen toyline, the G-Shock Convoy figure and was also the lead designer on the Bumblebee movie Legendary Optimus Prime (and probably more projects) according to these interviews:
    タカラトミー「トランスフォーマー」開発者が語る玩具デザイン:「世界に行けばいくほど広がっていく」
    トランスフォーマー:G-SHOCKと豪華コラボの裏側 驚きの変形機構とは - MANTANWEB(まんたんウェブ)
    「レジェンダリーオプティマスプライム」、過去の“武器一体変形型”を凌駕する! - 価格.comマガジン

• Like Like x 10
  4. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    I thought that was wrong when I heard it lol. Clearly someone misread his name. Thanks

5. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Ah so at least more than G1. I was wondering why anyone was amazed that a designer of bricks from 35 years ago was coming back, but no, he’s done a lot more at least. Curious what he did for the rotf line, that line had some amazing figures, as well as some real garbage figures mixed in. The G-shock Optimus was.... ok I guess? Nothing impressive as far as I can tell. And legendary Optimus was literally just a copy of the KO from WJ so I don’t see any props deserved there.

Well, Hopefully this guy designed the good stuff out of ROTF.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reboost boosted it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a lot in that article to digest. I kind of zeroed in on the parts where they talked about this being cheaper and simpler. Never minding my dislike of the animation aesthetic, I have noticed more (I think, it's hard to quantify these things) grumbling on the boards about price, nightmare transformations, and QC (possibly related to the transformations and part counts). I wondered if it was effecting sales and if maybe Skids new direction was a response to that. But I'm definitely reading a lot (too much) into that to come to that conclusion.

They have changed directions mid stream once already, so I have no confidence they wouldn't do it again. (not that they're doing it now)

Thanks for the answer. I bet you're right.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    For what it's worth, I'd be all for simpler transformations and lower prices. Ōno does seem to have transformation ease and fun in mind when he designs these things. Starscream also appears to be relatively simple compared to the likes of Optimus Prime or Megatron. I think chances of prices going down are slim, unfortunately. Best case scenario is they stay where they are now, I suppose.

We'll just have to see where the line goes, moving forward. Hopefully it will include designs, styles and pricing that can appeal to many! :) 

• Like Like x 2
  9. Memph99Q4Ev

Memph99Q4Ev Well-Known Member

Honestly, if the toon scheme was something that's been done 50 times over, then yeah, I would agree. But it isn't. This is the 1st and only time these are available.

If I wanted the '84 toy version of Skids, that's already available. If I wanted stylized versions of Skids, those are also available.

For me personally, it's kinda "been there done that" with stylized figs. That doesn't mean I don't like them (fuckin loving the Seige line), but I've already had those collections. I don't get that feeling with the toon MP. I get the feeling of "FINALLY!" It took over 30yrs, but I finally have my version of these characters. Some may consider them "bland", but honestly, it's kinda irrelevant. That's just how most cartoons looked in 84'. This series of figs is meant to reflect just that; the original characters that started this IP as a cult classic. Dare I say, the only reason any of us have a TF collection in the 1st place. Those toys would've died with the GoBots, and Wheel Warriors without that show and movie. The originators deserve a dedicated mold. "OG".

When it comes to MP, I feel it's appropriate that they pay homage their onscreen counterparts. BW, BW2, Bayverse... all of them. As stated earlier, there are dozens of versions to most OG characters, but only one toon version to just a hand full.

• Like Like x 12
  10. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I’m not trying to vote down anyone’s opportunity at a cartoon Skids. The more fans this figure can please, the better. But it seemed easy enough to make animation-themed “+” versions of Hasui Masterpiece figures (some— including Bluestreak and Smokescreen— that even got new head sculpts), begging the question why TT isn’t offering a version of Skids with G1 toy details.

Also, I think you’re overstating the influence of the original cartoon. The show’s characters never influenced my interest in the toys. If anything, it was the other way around. I never once bought a toy because I liked the cartoon character. The cartoon was typically a comparative disappointment. I bought the toys based solely on the toys.

Now, I simply want nicely engineered, proportioned, and articulated versions of the toys I had as a kid. The originals are great, but they’re basically statues. CHUG doesn’t fill the niche, and for the past few years, Masterpiece hasn’t either. I don’t have any interest in plastic renderings of 80s-era drawings that are themselves simplified, stylized, and often diluted versions of those original toys.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Memph nailed it. And his post doesn't undersell the influence of the show and it's designs, which were also largely the Marvel designs (even if the colors weren't the same). They're iconic.

Taking a real vehicle mode Optimus and making him look like the show model is magic. Making him look like the toy with more articulation is extremely easy and very much not magic.

The line is called Masterpiece.

• Like Like x 8
  12. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your cognitive bias is the exact opposite of an equal amount of TF fans. You should accept that the person you quoted isn't overstating the influence of the original cartoon. But to you the cartoon wasnt important. Totally cool man. The toys were pretty dope after all! :) 

The cartoon is 100% the reason I loved my toys so much though.

• Like Like x 11
  13. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    Agreed. The Diaclone Reboot line is AMAZING. I have maybe 4 times the money in Diaclone than I do MPs. They are generally just robots. Nothing too special aside from the absolutely unbelievable reality that they’re getting made. But the toys themselves have zero magic in the transformation. It’s all the same. Wrist has a gun. Rotate out the hand. Now wrist has a hand. Legs fold around. Now it’s part of the vehicle.

Having a real world looking vehicle turn into a sleek (not bland :mad: ) and almost human looking robot is actually way harder to do like you said.

The mere fact that I have a Sunstreaker on my shelf that is a licensed Lamborghini AND it has the super-tuning engines AND it transforms into a flawless depiction of his cartoon image is breathtaking. I still look at all 6 of my Sunstreaker molds on my shelves and can’t believe they exist. (Gotta support the line so we all get more am i right? :D ) So many different magic moments in this line. Hell! Even things like the design team being forced to literally engineer new and groundbreaking transformation mechanics is interesting. I wonder just how many things they’ve switched up and invented in the last 6 years? Inferno’s ladder, 44 and sunstreaker’s hand transformation, hound’s folding tires, even Sideswipe’s legs that unpanel and fold inside out over the thighs was brand new! The MP line is so dope. I think I got distracted and just started gushing.... but it felt good haha

• Like Like x 9
  14. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    @Zentropy i saw you liked my post. I’d just like to say I like how you’re opinionated AND not combative or rude. And you don’t take offense when people disagree with you. It’s a rare quality on fandom boards, and I think people don’t compliment others enough in life. So thanks ^^

I mean... when you get down to the nittygritty we’re all just passionate about transformers anyways.

• Like Like x 11
  15. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Hmm. Sales determine the market, and if cartoon accuracy is what moves product, then I can’t argue that. Perhaps my hobby is coming to an end. Oh well, it was getting expensive anyway. I might get the Reboost figure if I like the in-hand photos, and there are still a few interesting 3P figures I’d like to buy.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I appreciate the compliment. People like different things, and it makes little sense to put an objective right-or-wrong label on subjectivity. Certainly no sense in getting upset about a difference of opinion. Besides, variety is what keeps this fandom interesting.

• Like Like x 10
  17. MacDTyrant

MacDTyrant Active Member

Ebay:
    I find this conversation interesting about toy vs. toon vs. stylized asthetics. I missed out on the G1 toys, but I had a ton of Beast Wars. I always wanted more G1 - I found a Perceptor at a garage sale as a kid and even with the limited articulation I found him fascinating. I liked the early Masterpiece figures mostly because they looked REAL - not just the alt modes, but the robot modes, too. What would a real Lamborghini look like if it could transform? Probably more like Sideswipe, with his fairly blocky proportions, than like Sunstreaker, with his svelte look. And a real-world transforming semi truck would probably look more like MP-10 than MP-44. When Hound first released, I wished I had bought the FansToys one - I thought FT looked more realistic.

But, I think the MP line still all fits in. I\'ve got the original Wheeljack and Grimlock next to MP-44 and Sunstreaker and they don\'t strike me as looking out of place, despite the obvious change in priorities. And I actually think this Skids looks interesting, almost like the older stuff again. It\'s got a lot more linework and sculpted detail than the last few had, it seems to me. I hope they go back in that direction. I still think MP-13 Soundwave is the most perfect transforming toy I\'ve ever had. I want that realism, that heft, the metallic finish and feel, with a look that actually improves upon the animation model without completely redesigning the character. I know nothing about Skids, never had the toy or seen him any episodes, but I think I\'ll pick this up when it comes out, judging from these promo images.

Unless it\'s $250. And I\'m not sure about that back, it looks like it might have a big weird gap like Tracks has. (Tracks is the only G1 mold I\'ve skipped and never really wanted to pick up.)

Like Zentropy, I\'m in this line more because of my fascination with the toys themselves. I bought Delta Magnus instead of Ultra because he looked more interesting to me. I have Blue Bluestreak instead of Prowl. If there\'s a repaint of Skids that I think will complement my Autobot shelf better, I\'ll get that instead. But to me, at least from this promo image, he doesn\'t look as overtly cartoony as, say, MP-52 Starscream. To me, MP-52 looks too cartoony, and that excessive cartooniness doesn\'t make him look premium. If the original Seeker mold wasn\'t so floppy, I\'d just stick with it - I like its more realistic look better. I can bring dates or friends into my house and they get excited to check out Soundwave, MP-36+, and Delta Magnus. They hardly notice Mr. $500 MP-44.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

• Like Like x 3
  19. mizuki088

mizuki088 Well-Known Member

Accessories wise:
    There is mircoman that you can buy from takaratomy.
    Eventually, 3rd party or ko or 3d printer will get a way to make those accessories up. The question is when they are available

20. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing worth mentioning in the topic of "cartoon accuracy vs toy accuracy" is that Skids is a -huge completely huge terribly huge nobody- in the cartoon. Like, period, there is a 99% chance that anyone that likes Skids likes him for his toy over anyone that genuinely liked the G1 Equivalent of Jolt from Bayformers 2. So that might've weighed on the decision for toy accuracy too.

• Like Like x 3