Transformers Masterpiece MP-53 Skids

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

Maybe I should not have used "many", I was just basing it on comments I've seen on this forum and elsewhere and a general vibe of concern and dislike in comments about how Skids looks and the apparent "Hybrid" direction change for this figure. It wasn't actually meant to be a negative, your selective quote changes the tone of what I was saying about what this MP could represent.

2. Kranix_OZ

I guess that your post does raise the question. As you have identified yourself as a toon only collector, as have others, what if Skids is not just an opportunity to deliver a different style of MP as I was suggesting but an actual change in direction back to hybrid MPs, are you and others happy with that? I don't think this is the case as I mentioned but what if Starscream and his repaints were the last toon MP for a long time?

3. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Are you talking literally? Then yea.

But as a whole, the entire thing gives this “this is 100% a homage to the toy” like no other MP before it IMO.

4. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just want to see the altmode :lol 
    I mean, its Skids, if they had to get cute to get him made ,it is what it is. That bring said, this is definitely on the the lower end of fan excitement for a release. On the bright side we"ll be one diaclone away from finishing the s1 carbots. Small victory at least.

5. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

This guy is vastly more in line with what I want from the MP line, and assuming the final product holds true to the line art, will be the first one I’ll have purchased since the ‘toon accurate changeover. Hard lines, mechanical detail, not too busy, but detailed enough to be visually interesting in robot mode. One assumes the prominent car parts in robot mode are indicative of a less fiddly transformation experience than some of the ‘toon MPs, as well. Less car to hide away hopefully means less work to get from mode to mode. Love it so far, can’t wait to see prototypes.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as the price isn't too high I'd really like to get him based on the CAD image. Skids was one of my favourite characters in the comics and so far there's only been the T30 figure of him let alone an MP and, eh, close enough (didn't like Savant's colours very much).
    TheFecundMoon-Skids.jpg
    MTMTE33_megatron_skids_right_there.jpg

7. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    Man, I am now hoping that they will make a Charlene figure to go with this Skids... Doubt they will, but it would be awesome if they did include her.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    That would be cool, but it’d also probably be a bit shite tbh.

9. betsuni

News Credits:
    Yeah, I still love @Snaku 's version more than anything. Doubt TakaraTomy could make one just as good, but it would be nice.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! I've been meaning to get back to her. Now that we've got the bigger Spike that came with Hound and we're getting bigger S3 Spike and Carly figures from a 3P I'm thinking of scaling her up to their size. It'd let me make her arms less buff and the joints would be much stronger - might even be sturdy enough that I'd feel okay releasing her.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  11. betsuni

News Credits:
    Cool. I can't wait till you release her.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    It was not a selective quote, as I quoted the entire paragraph. And what you wrote, you did not substantiate with quotes. It was rabble-rousing. Nothing more than that.

I wrote that I'm all in on toon, not that I'm a toon only collector. I definitely prefer the toon direction, yes... but I started collecting Masterpieces when MP-5 was released.

The direction is not going to change now, there is really no evidence for that. But, hypothetically, just to answer your question... No, I would not mind more hybrid releases like Skids. Skids was hardly on screen, and the reason why he's being released now is plain and simple. If more prominent characters would be released in this style, then I would simply say that I would have preferred a more toon look... and I would still buy them. After all, these Masterpieces do still look the most like they did in the cartoon, even when they're more hybrid, compared to any other G1 like looking Transformers toy line.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    If what we are getting is just a Classics design with more articulation, is it really a Masterpiece? What exactly is this looking to perfect? As noted, it isn't even accurate to the toy.

The "toon" direction has always been the direction of the line since MP-1. They have just gotten better and better at making those cheats and proportions a reality while maintaining realism in vehicle mode. It wasn't a design change, it is simply an evolution of the concept. MP has never been just great versions of a character - it mirrors the fiction. Beast Wars and the movies are no exception. That's the point - take the design we have seen in action, and make it a working figure. That's the magic, that's the pop, that's the wow.

This, as it currently looks and stands, is boring af. It perfects nothing. That's not to say it won't be a good Skids, it will be. But it's not a Masterpiece.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BombSquad

BombSquad Commander Broadside Proponent

News Credits:
    It's literally called a Masterpiece and will be released under the Masterpiece line. Subjective notions of what "Masterpiece" means don't matter. It's a Masterpiece.

• Like Like x 14
  15. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Actually true though.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Once upon a time "Masterpiece" and "accurate to the source material" were not synonymous with each other, if not entirely mutually exclusive. Masterpiece used to be the ultimate depiction of a character, with detail, quality, and design unfeasible in anything besides a high price adult collectible.

If anything this Skids is more true to that original mission statement than the current MP trend of obsessive show-accuracy.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Kranix_OZ

Excuse me? It was nothing of the sort, shut your abusive mouth and get back in your box. You have no idea what I was thinking so don't try that bullsh!t . Read my whole post and not just that paragraph and it makes sense. I was actually trying to reassure toon fans because I believe it's a one off. Or maybe more to allow options in the future. I've said this many times already. So you can back off. That's all I've got to say to the likes of you. Block list is all you are worth.

18. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I don't agree at all. It's an homage to the Hasui era of mixing whatever influences they want plus adding details from the designer's imagination.

It's a cartoon-accurate head, with some toy-accurate details like the lines on the feet, thigh pattern, shoulders and overall silhouette, with liberties taken elsewhere. Even the thunder thighs we're getting don't reference anything (it's like the designer has taken it personally when people complained that certain MPs have skinny thighs, and gone all out).

I feel like this is in line with MP-14 or MP-17 in terms of being a toy homage. Which might be enough for some people, but for me I'd like more. The pelvis shape, the shape of the shins, they're all distinct on Skids and none of them are recreated here. Even the details on the arms or the sides of the thighs are different.

Anyway it fits with what Takara are doing with the Diaclone reboot line, in terms of liberties taken, I just wish they would stop treating the G1 toys like something they can't fully recreate. It's not like they're competing with an active subline, G1 Skids hasn't been available for a while now.

• Like Like x 2
  19. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the image is from his TF Collection reissue (or someone who featured his profile). The art in the inside flaps of those was very nice and a high quality, more realistic (in a way) drawing of their cartoon design.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    ahh thanks for the info! I knew I’d seen it before but couldn’t recall where...sadly those boxes were thrown out over a decade ago in one of two or three moves...

• Like Like x 2