Transformers Masterpiece MP-53 Skids

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    Dang, I was kinda hoping to not want this, since I already have the XTB version and I really sincerely didn't expect to see an official Skids MP (despite how many people love the City Turbo), but...gosh that looks pretty, and I always prefer to have the official Takara figure if I can.

2. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    It’s early days still as far as what we can see and I know the whole toon vs hasui debate, but this just isn’t grabbing me at all. Something about the proportions is striking me as mainline rather than MP - particularly the legs. Maybe color and an actual prototype will change my mind, but based off these, I’m passing and waiting to see the next BW MP.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    I hate you.

I was convinced that for a character I couldn't care less about, I'd go XTB for this eventually, given I'm a toon collector and the greebled effect isn't my bag.

If they release that second picture, I'm safe in that position.

If they release the first one, I might have to go official, no doubt at 50% more at least. Your fault!

Did I mention I hate you? :p 

• Like Like x 2
  4. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Well I still love you! :lol  I think the first image is more how it will look when painted over, if they went strictly cartoon deco which seems unlikely...so maybe you're safe? ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  5. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Looks like he really doesn't fit anywhere neither the sunbow or diaclone stuff, at best Artfire, is the only one I can think of with so much going on, and that's tampos. Think it may actually look better in toy colors with red shoulder accents. Guess will find out saturday night.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    :lol 

Yeah, I'm reserving judgement until I see some proper images of what they intend to ship.

I'm not convinced about full toon either, but could they essentially do mixed mould aesthetic and toon deco? That would definitely fit the hybrid moniker...

It'd be a bit like a plus with the Datsuns. But as the only version. Then trot out the various repaints for the toy guys.

That would suit different groups. If it's toon enough to fit with the plus Datsuns, it'll tick a box for toon collectors, and if it's detailed enough it might be enough for toy collectors. Then go balls deep on Diaclone stuff to placate the toy collectors that weren't happy with it, lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, the Autobot cars are incomplete without him. There's never been any doubt for me, I'm buying him. And besides that, I just kind of like Skids. He's quiet, nerdy, awkward-looking, disappears in a crowd... he's me.

Like, when he got all soapy with a rather half-dressed Charlene in the Marvel comic I read, that wasn't voyeurism, that was straight-up wish fulfillment!

• Like Like x 11
  8. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Well, Skids is looking good. I will anxiously await proto pics and coloured proto pics.

• Like Like x 2
  9. WheeljackDude

WheeljackDude Well-Known Member

Skids, huh?

Looks like a Crosscut retool and a Burnout repaint might follow...

And yes, I'll put Crosscut with the 1984 Autobots...

• Like Like x 2
  10. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, thanks! And he's looking really good. Ah, I'm actually pretty damned excited for this guy! :D 

Yeah, I know what you mean. He's not 'cool' like Jazz or Sunstreaker, but he's just so much more relatable than most of them!

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Damn am I looking forward to this guy. I don't dislike Toon MPs at all, but I've really missed the more traditional updates with more detail and mecha proportions. Robotic goodness.

He'll look great next to my G1 and fatass Alternators Skids.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

I would expect first release Skids to be in his Toy colours since they match the real car, being that this is 40th anniversary type deal. I believe the factory blue is too removed from the toon blue to be used.

A + Skids could be toon colours of course but I wonder if with so many repaint options, they would give this guy a toon version at all? Surely you can only sell so many Skids? I'm not sure he will be popular with the toon crowd even painted toon colours.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  13. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

I'm also excited that this Skids shows that Takara are willing to release a non toon MP again. Not because I think that it's a change in direction for the line (it's only one release after a string of toon releases) but because it shows a willingness to vary MPs to achieve a different look for a particular MP.

If there's any other MPs that can't be delivered as straight toon for any reason (such as licensing), they are still on the table. This means we could still see all the carbots in particular completed if any manufacturers were being held up by concerns over a toon representation of their vehicles.

I know many toon fans hope Skids doesn't sell well to remove any risk of a change in direction for the line but I don't think that's necessary. I think it may be more of a case by case basis. Skids works as a hybrid style MP well, so it's not a bad thing.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster ...

News Credits:
    Ah you beat me to it! :lol 

Looking sharp!

• Like Like x 1
  15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I think I'd prefer more toy-based colours, but if this is what we get I'll be satisfied. Thanks for the digibash, I know not many people are interested in this figure but for guys like me who are, any little gleam into it is appreciated! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  16. rendsora

rendsora Well-Known Member

Yep waiting for ppl to dump their XTB ones..

17. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 Fully vaccinated and ready to party!

I was perusing this thread and wondering when you would do your thing and BAM!

i think you’re onto something. To me, the greebling is really toned down when there are large areas that are the same color. Mayhaps that’s what TT intended, some greebling to break up the large flat unicolor areas? If it’s fully painted, maybe the paint will soften the details? Like it or not (not you personally, my fellow MP fans in general) this isn’t their first rodeo, and it won’t be their last. They know what they’re doing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm planning a display of pre-TF TF's. Still need to dig out my Red Bumble Bee, and redo the crown of the mask in red to make him all 'proppa'.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    A Crosscut would go great with MP Road Rage. I mean he's exactly as obscure as her so why not?

• Like Like x 2
  20. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Maybe Takara can jump from those cliffs of faith, and do it with style :p