TransFormers Marvel Read Along

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Grimlock528, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

-The Z Foundation, huh? I'm pretty sure Lord Zarak is behind it, and I find it amusing that he set up a carnival booth called "Reck the Robot" in order to raise money for said foundation.
    -This "Burn-Out" guy looks like a cross between Jonah Hex and Eddie Brock without the Venom suit. I also enjoy the fact that he pulled a Gru from Despicable Me on the carnival booth.
    -Randy "Road Hog" Horton looks a bit like Mr. T. And apparently is a bounty hunter who participates in funny car rallies for some reason.
    -And the other two guys (Felix and Skunge) look a lot more normal than the other two. I guess they're the tech guys.
    -Mr. K, Mr. B, and Mr. L are the Nebulan Headmaster partners of Squeezeplay, Horri-bull, and Fangry (but not necessarily in that order). Mr. B is particularly memorable as the eeeevil cartographer.
    -Mr. L has terrible hair.
    -The Roadjammers are actually a cool concept.
    -Look! New toys! (Specifically, the Triggerbots and Sparkabots.) They're all locked in what appears to be a fully-functional Decepticon prison. Poor guys.
    -LOL! The Firecons are here too, and they're ridiculously short and stumpy.
    -They're definitely sending Sizzle, Fizzle, and Backstreet to Earth so that the Roadjammers can attack them.
    -Roadhog has a cool motorcycle.
    -Good to see that the Roadjammers are smart enough to realize that they've been duped once the Autobots tell them as much. That makes them smarter than the US government.
    -Yep, those three guys from earlier are the Nebulan Headmaster partners.
    -Lord Zarak looks really good in a suit. Though how he manages to fit his Headmaster outfit under said suit without it looking super weird is beyond me.
    -I don't think the Roadjammers plot was ever followed up on, but it was entertaining enough for what it was.

Overall thoughts: Another weird issue that's mainly memorable because of that weirdness. The Autobots introduced in this issue are definitely suffering from Pretender Syndrome (where Budiansky didn't really give them personalities); as are the Firecons. The new Decepticon Headmasters are a little better, but Zarak and the Roadjammers steal the show. Next up: the Underbase Saga!

• Like Like x 3
  2. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

And the debut of the Seacons! WAAAAAAAAY!!! :D 

*remembers that they only last for this saga*

:( 

• Like Like x 2
  3. mrspingly

mrspingly Well-Known Member

We got slightly more of them in the UK, and some months before Underbase too. They battled Galvatron, who was mostly just amused.

seac-000.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I'm sure the Seacons weren't the thing young me remembers this issue for...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Issue was fun, but I think the best part is the way Scorponok/Zarak takes advantage of his human form to sow discontent among the humans. He's capable of doing things Megatron and the other Decepticon leaders couldn't, thanks to his form. And him owning and managing these big businesses to reach his goals is kind of a great strategy that distinguishes him. It's a shame more wasn't done with it. I almost wish the whole Vacation Island storyline belonged to him rather than Ratbat.

"What is this? Shockwave sends fish against me? Does he expect me to laugh myself to death?"

"Ah, two more nautical non-entities! And what ridiculous names do you answer to?"

:D 

I forget sometimes how great Galvatron could be. If I remember right he breaks into Shockwave's base just to be like. "Newsflash asshole, I was actually going to work for you the entire god damn time! But since you sent fish to attack me sorry, bye! Enjoy never having me for part of your team! Byebyethanksbye!"

And everyone just looks at Shockwave like.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Well, it was at least one of the things I remember. The other one was Jesse in a bikini. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  7. mrspingly

And I love his smirk when the Seacons combine, showing just how terrified he really is.

seac-000.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. MattDallas

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    This was UK Galvatron at his best - before he goes crazy.
    I like the way he returns a wounded Fizzle that he finds on the ocean bed to the other Sparkabots for no reason.

9. mrspingly

And then we get this picture, with an excellent drawing of Galvatron and a very brave Sparkabot (who is surely standing on a box).

gal-000.jpg

(Weirdly, looking through that issue now, Galvatron in it has reminded me of Ronnie O'Sullivan! Capricious, doing things for a laugh, but terrifying when he wants to be.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. MattDallas

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I think we need a TFUK read along thread too!

• Like Like x 2
  11. mrspingly

I can take a hint - I'll shut up now!

• Like Like x 1
  12. MattDallas

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    No - carry on. Marvel TFUK was the absolute best!

13. mrspingly

Aww, that was my first ever use of the famous tfw2005 "blue text" but you took me seriously anyway!

Your suggestion is a good one, though. There are some excellent UK stories, and I loved getting the comics each week when I was small.

14. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I’ve really got to hand it to that artist’s Galvatron. What a smug bastard.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

I’m all about UK! I just started this thread because I never read UK. But yes by all means include them. I’d love it!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

#46 Cash and Car-nage

Four bounty hunters are recruited by the Z-Foundation to go hunt for Transformers. These Road Jammers receiver electronic jammers from three of the managers and are told where three Transformers can be found. However, these three Transformers are Autobots sent from Cybertron to Earth by the Decepticons. Following a comment by one of the Autobots the Road Jammers conclude that their contacts are in league with the Decepticons. In the garage of the Z-foundation they find three (new) Decepticon Headmasters, and the managers are their heads. However, Z stand for Zarak and a battle starts between Scorponok and the human controlled Transformers. Only by using the anti-jammer can Zarak win and the Autobots and Bounty Hunters escape.

Story wise we have the third filler issue in a row. It’s a filler because none of the events in this issue will have any lasting effect on the universe (or even be mentioned ever again) and even the majority of the cast will either never be seen again (the Road Jammers, the Sparkbots) or only as background cast (the new Decepticon Headmasters). And none of the six new Transformers introduced here, really gets any character (development). All focus goes to the four introduced bounty hunters, the Road Jammers.

Zarak is definitely looking to exploit humanity as a resource. However, this is hardly a new concept, since Ratbat used the carwash to get easy fuel and Megatron used Robotmaster to make humans think all Transformers were bad – the story feels a bit of redoing the latter, and even less successful. It also doesn’t make much sense. I definitely applaud Marvel for letting the Decepticons finding more use for humans than slaves, but of all the human based plans I find this to be the absolute weakest: car wash gave them lots of fuel, Robotmaster made humanity think all TF’s were a threat (thus hindering the Autobots), and Skullgrin earned fuel by working as a movie star.

This plan, on the other hand, has no positives, only negatives. There are three Autobots now free from prison and on Earth (this does make clear that the Earth Autobots are either still on the moon or in orbit – and the Protectobots go unmentioned), it cost a lot of fuel to get them here, and four bounty hunters now have the drive and the means to go hunt for Transformers. And the only positive is that Scorponok’s knows the jammer works...which he could also learn by testing it on a Decepticon -- which would’ve prevented the Autobots getting one and developing counter-measures. Failure all around thus. Outside of the Road Jammers I think I remember this issue most because it was the first time that it was obvious to me that the Zarak controlled Scorponok is an awful leader.

Still, it was a fun read, but locally it was released in one issue with the next story, which of course blew this one away.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Transformers Marvel US #47 is live to discuss.
    Attack of the Savage Seacons!
    Beginning a 4-part epic!
    “The Underbase Saga!”
    “Club Con!”
    Roll out!

18. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Classic goofy Marvel Decepticon plot that kicks off a great story. It's interesting to see how this type of plot would be reinterpreted for IDW - shell corporations, replica human drones, espionage, many issues to deal with Decepticons covering up their schemes on Earth. Here it's just a silly resort and the mystery is solved in one issue. Pretty funny to imagine all the situations where the Decepticons just have to grit their teeth and play as resort hosts. THIS was High Command's best plan?

Not much else to say as it's mostly just setup for events to come. Always a treat to see Blaster, and Jesse is one of the better human characters too.

• Like Like x 5
  19. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I mean, what can you say beyond: "I'm Starscream. Fly me!"

• Like Like x 4
  20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Many of a pubescent boys did appreciate the issue.

• Like Like x 2