Transformers: Lost Light #1 (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by VRDUBZAK, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I'm surprised there's any doubt that the geobomb caused the whole planet to shift dimensions. We saw at the end of #55 that it blinked the Necroworld out of existence in the main universe. From the perspective of those on it, nothing serious happened.

Superb twist though. Really ups the ante, as I can't see how they're going to easily escape or deal with the ruthless Functionists. Even the DJD weren't in charge of a whole planet and its security forces.

I'm ambivalent on Anode - would, as always, have much preferred an old character re-used - but quite like the art. That's too say, I like the style a lot, but it feels like Lawrence needs to pay a little more attention to proportions sometimes. The characters can look overly slanted, thin or pointy.

Great to see Fangry, and generally speaking a top first issue. As with OP#1, literally no idea how they could possibly think this works as a jumping-on point, except by dint of the recap at the back.

• Like Like x 2
  2. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    i hope i'm not the only one that wants maybe an energon character or two to join up with the rod squad permanently after this. i might have to open up my box of old energon figures just in case.

energon jetfire might be cool. rod squad could use another flier.

3. ClatterShards

ClatterShards Well-Known Member

While I feel some sympathy for the gang and Rodimus(though I don't feel bad for him losing his captaincy and ship since it was high time of something of this magnitude to finally make Rodimus start maturing and take things seriously) I am happy that the crew of the Lost Light will get some time to shine as they take steps on their journey to find the Knights of Cybertron. Also if Rodimus and Getaway do come face to face I hope that Getaway will give Rodiums a run for his money as I do not want to see him go down easily if at all.

4. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    bet you rodimus won't kill him at all....drift made a point about the colors being an intent to kill and i think rodimus will have him on the ropes but then let him live. everything points to rodimus killing him and that's why i think he won't. especially since getaway never intended for the djd to even be there. it'll be one of those moments where rodimus will realize killing him isn't the answer.

though i'm with you i hope it's at least a better fight than the megatron djd fight was. i don't want rodimus throwing getaway a beating while getaway cries and begs for mercy after endless posturing about how badass he is.....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

Well, we know from Elegant Chaos that the Functionist Universe is populated almost exclusively by Unicron Trilogy homages, so hopefully that'll be kept consistent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Roberts said on Twitter yesterday that "Dissolution" is a six part arc. Heck of a way to start Season 3 off.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Six parts. That's as long as the Season 2 finale. Let's just hope the pacing's better here.

8. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And Getaway showed remorse when he mourned their deaths.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Come back, and Getaway's found the darn place and is a revered holy figure!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I thoroughly enjoyed (more like relished and devoured) this issue and was happy to see it picking up exactly where the story left off in MTMTE. Art was great, writing was excellent. I thought the opening of the cryo chambers was a brilliant and perfect place to introduce some new characters, and what great characters!

I was immediately interested in Anode and Lug, being a sort of Cybertronian Indiana Jones and Shortround (in practice, not personalities) I can’t get a toy of Lug fast enough – a mini bot tool box full of tools? Yes please! Anyway, aside from the aesthetic appeal and the admittedly generic surface appeal of ‘treasure hunting adventurers’, they obviously have much more going on with their story and I can’t wait to see what it is and why hallucinations of the seventh level of hell opens up when someone touches them.

New characters aside, it was wonderful to see the old ones again.

Tailgate wanting to show off was hilarious.

Ultra Magnus trying out a joke (and JRO pulling our leg) with the ‘choose your beast form’ joke gave me a belly laugh

Swerve’s drill-sergeant attitude was interesting and is obviously how he’s dealing with his trauma.

It’s fun to see some Decepticons picking a fight (yay Fangry!), especially with Cyclonus involved.

Roddy’s lack of answer to Drift implying he intends to hunt down and kill Getaway

Megatron’s surprisingly touching final words to Ravage’s grave (real tears!)

Finally we see Rung and Nightbeat return (very nearly) to the surface.

Did someone here guess that the planet is a mold for Cybertron because that concept seemed familiar when I read it?

WHAT WERE RODDY AND DRIFT DOING IN THE DEN?!

Anode's feely finger thingys are kind of creepy.

Other Universe Cybertron gang guy has a TV head which I think is FANTASTIC because it means my two favorite ongoing series now both have TV-head guys (the other is Saga)

[\spoiler]
    Very much looking forward to LL2.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  11. JasonPrime

JasonPrime Well-Known Member

I have to say I was pretty shocked that season 3 jumped immediately into the Functionist Universe. We all expected it but I figured it would be the climax of season 3.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That makes so much sense.

Agreed.

Anode becomes the new Getaway....not gonna lie but I'd like that.

I really hope the Lost Light Mutineers actually gets some actual focus.

5 more issues to go....oh man.

I really hope the issue after this ends, we finally cut back to the Lost Light.

13. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is so far! I think more happened in that one issue than in the whole DJD arc.

Also, I'm amused that the Lost Light might not appear again for quite a while despite now being the title of the book. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is the "Lost" Light after all, so now the name is more literal than figurative.

• Like Like x 1
  15. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I absolutely can't wait to get my copy of Lost Light signed by Roberts and Lawrence tomorrow. Gonna be fantastic!

Loved this issue on all fronts. Jack's work is fantastic and as an old pal of Roberts and Roche from the TMUK days (Roche has cited Jack as a major influence on his stuff) I think things are just going to get better and better.

• Like Like x 2
  16. gregles

gregles quintesson

It's great to finally have some actuall comics to discuss.

Revolution was hardly the worst event crossover thing we have had to endure but it felt a little inconsequential with all these different groups showing up almost randomly for fights and the whole story felt like little more than set ups for spin off comics so not much to actually talk about.

This issue has so many awesome mysteries to ponder that it's almost hard to know where to start.

Sparkeaters Just got more interesting for me as it seemed like they was just tied with brainstorms gun and they have been drenched in Myth and superstition after that but could there be a lot more to them now they are making an appearance en mass?

I also find it interesting the concept of Cybertron being made from a mold as if the guiding hand theory of the origin has any truth in it primus didn't make or form cybertron but rather arrived there and felt compelled to populate the planet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. emptythreat

emptythreat Well-Known Member

I shouldn't have been surprised at more of the same, Roberts has really gotten old for me and I started to wait longer before reading the MTMTE issues as my interest had really started to fade. Megatron's journey was absolutely the high point but the storytelling overall is surprisingly weak. It gets so bogged down with tiny details from 25 issues ago that the larger sweep of the story often gets crowded out for huge logic gaps or plot contrivances. Or the build ups aren't paid off properly.

LL was a possibility for a bit of a course correction but this issue starts with EVEN MORE Roberts OCs. There are hundreds of Transformers, many have never been developed and yet Roberts keeps creating new ones that all speak with the same voice. This irritated me at first and now I find unbearable.

I know a lot of people love this, and that's cool, but I find it a cliquey, overly self obsessed and increasingly smug book. In saying that, I find all the TF books have moved massively away from what drew me to them for over 30 years. I have no issue with the target audience LL is aimed at or the changed demographic (I like that so many new folk are being drawn in), I just wish there was something for people like me as well. Three IDW titles have all moved in the same direction, I'd have loved just one to have remained closer to the spirit of what I grew up with. I don't want anyone to be excluded, including me! At the moment I think I am going to step away from the comics completely for a few months maybe a year and see where we're at then. Luckily I'm loving collecting the toys at the moment so my TF fix will still be satisfied.

• Like Like x 2
  18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I wonder what happened to Rung. Probably part of him being part of a doomsday weapon?

Also, they jumped in 1984. I wonder if the security bots are even a match for the crew. All of them, aside from Terminus are war veterans. The Functionalists security forces are a bunch of glorified bullies. Megatron alone could rip them apart.

• Like Like x 2
  19. l0te

l0te Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, that's where I'm at with Anode. The last thing we need is more snark right now. I do want to like her. I've been wanting more androgynous/visually indistinguishable femmes, and she's about there. We'll see how things play out. She kind of gives off a Tracer (overwatch) vibe, which I could deal with.

I somehow doubt we'll actually get to see Getaway die, but I'm still rooting for it. I'll happily settle for the hero-too-good-to-lay-the-finishing-blow trope where Getaway's past comes back and (fatally) bites him in the ass and Rodi gets to keep his Good Guy card.

20. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Getaway will (wait for it) get away. Only survivor. It will suddenly be an even thornier question of whether to kill him.

James said so on his Twitter; Milne responded that he hadn't been offered any work on the series at all. IDW hasn't said anything. I think they're waiting for fan feedback. So far the feedback = quite negative.

• Like Like x 1