Transformers: Lost Age Interviews - Drift, The Franchise And More

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Aug 7, 2014.

1. nazgul777

nazgul777 Well-Known Member

Maybe "Cerebral" is the name of a new villain that will show up with vague motivations and die.

2. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Offensively Off-brand

This theory makes the most sense to me! :D 

3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Not safe for work

News Credits:
    You mean the thing that isn't actually rape? Please don't tell me you need a reminder as to what the term "rape" means. :lol 

Oi, some of you guys crack me up.

Anyways, back on topic, interesting interviews. Drift looks fine, if we can have bots that resemble knights, why not samurai?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  4. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wow! Awesome article! I admire Kesley Grammer's words and Nicola Peltz is very clever girl for her 19-year age! They two and Mark Wahlberg made excellent job!

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Would you have preferred I said The Card that Proves Their Sexual Relationship Is Not Statutory Rape? All of us sure knew what I meant.

The point is if you find ANYONE in real life who is carrying around a card like that you should immediately punch him in the face.
    The fact that we have a scene constructed with that in it at all proves that his goal with Transformers movies is to be the opposite of cerebral.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I can see what they mean about samurai armor while looking medieval still looks rather modern.

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Interesting.

I'd have to give credit to Bay for trying to make TF "cerebral", as much as the concept of a war between transforming robots can possibly be.

8. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

He wants cerebral appeal. Fortress Maximus confirmed for TF5? :p 

The whole samurai-praising bit was basically Bay trying to hype up the movie to the Japanese audience, since it's going to premiere there.

9. dalekslayer96

dalekslayer96 Well-Known Member

Wait. Cerebral Appeal? Dafuq? As much as I like the Bayformers movies, that's just Bay going nuts. Oh wait. He IS nuts. Oh well...

10. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cerebral? First thing came to my mind was Triple H. hahaha

AoE and previous installments after TFTM was already "Cerebral" in the first place:

ROTF:
    - Robot Heaven
    - Wheelie's "humping"
    - the Twin's facial design and personality (attributed to racial slur)

DOTM:
    - Cybertron's close proximity to Earth yet nothing happens in global weather condition.

AOE:
    - Lockdown's actual scale issue vs Optimus (big bot, small car vs big bot, big truck)
    - Optimus' "Superman Scene" hence, space thrusters.

Yes those are Cerebral... Cerebral Unappealing that is.
    I enjoyed all TF films he made. But i'm not a 100% fool not to notice some inconsistencies or shortcomings. There has some "basis for everything" you see in a movie. But those "basis" isn't in Bay's film dictionary storytelling-wise.

11. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, Michael. It really doesn't work when you attempt to be intellectual.

12. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    The man's delusional, which is probably why he never changes. So if you're expecting the movies to get any better with him at the helm you're crazy.

13. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I thought that scene was funny. And I would like to point out the not every person who sees the film is an American. Depending on the audience, Tessa and Shane's relationship could be viewed as legit.

14. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I just wanted to say that this is probably the first film that has actual scale issues (Devastator aside). I think 4 films in they're allowing a bit more freedom for the sake of making the film entertaining. For example, how can Optimus's robot mode be the same height when he is a flat-nosed semi when he has less mass to work with? Considering that in the original trilogy the long nose of his truck were his arms.

15. VokVisitor

VokVisitor Artist

Michael, please. A franchise doesn't capture people's imaginations for 30 years unless it already has a "longer-lasting, even cerebral appeal."
    When people say these movies are pointless, it's not the concept of "Transformers" they're talking about. They're talking about YOU.

Edit: And it's this attitude of Bay's that *causes* the movies to lack substance - he doesn't believe that they can or should have it, so he doesn't bother to try. Meanwhile we all know how good and meaningful Transformers can be (we wouldn't be fans after all this time if there wasn't something deeply meaningful in it for us). He's been displaying this fundamentally disrespectful attitude since day 1. He doesn't believe Transformers is important, so why should we keep paying his bills and keeping him around?

16. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

That excerpt from bay says that pretty much I am making a transformers film but I dont want to be told to make a transformers film and don't tell me what they are "supposed" to be ....
    Ughhhh he was so not good for these movies

17. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What are they "supposed" to be? They are alien robots from Cybertron who can disguise themselves as vehicles. Bay nailed it.

If all you want is a Transformers paint by numbers then rewatch what you like. Transformers has continued to reinvent itself with each series, why can't the movies have their own spin. Why do they have to stay in the rut that is nostalgia?

Do I think the TF films are great films, not really, but they're entertaining, made a boat load of money and put Transformers back on the map, so Bay has been great for this franchise. Could a different director have made as successful film, of course, but they could have made a complete flop

I don't see Fincher, Cameron, Del Toro, Nolan or any other highly respected directors asking to direct a Transformers film.

18. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    You don't need a popular director to get a good movie. You just need someone who fits and is passionate. Bay actually fits in a way, but he couldn't be less passionate about the source material and it really, really shows.

No one is asking for MTMTE on the big screen - but we are asking for an adaptation of TransFormers, not something almost totally new simply with Transformer terminology. The overall storylines aren't terrible unless you count the forced nationalism and humanism, but the characterizations and designs are incredibly unfaithful and disrespectful. People aren't fans of something for 30 years just because it could be anything - then I could be a fan of anything at any time. No, fans have stuck by Transformers because there was something specific that drew them in. And the fans that have been there since the beginning, we all know what that was and it wasn't Bayformers.

In the new Star Trek, Spock wasn't suddenly a female human who shouted all the time and used gadgets to save the day. This is the type of random changes for the sake of change people try to justify with TransFormers and it is ludicrous and insulting. There is no reason why, if you want to do something new, you can't come up with your own names and characters.